CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]
View Poll Results: which one would you buy
CLK500
72.41%
M3
27.59%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

honest opinion needed? which one would you buy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2002, 03:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Porsche Cayenne S, MB E430, & M3
honest opinion needed? which one would you buy?

I have a 02 BMW 330ci, I might be selling that in the fall and probably get 02 M3 or 03 CLK500. If you were in my shoes what would you do? Are the M3s dime a dozen? or another 3-series.
I have never owned any CLKs, so I don't know much about them except how nice they look.

thanks!
LIL Raja
Old 06-08-2002, 05:55 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Re: honest opinion needed? which one would you buy?

Originally posted by LILRAJA
I have a 02 BMW 330ci, I might be selling that in the fall and probably get 02 M3 or 03 CLK500. If you were in my shoes what would you do? Are the M3s dime a dozen? or another 3-series.
I have never owned any CLKs, so I don't know much about them except how nice they look.

thanks!
LIL Raja
i was thinking a simmilar thing, like if i should get rid of my jaguar xk8 convertible and get a new M3, Clk500 or even a c32 Amg even though its a 4 door i cant make up my mind. but since i have a convertible now i think i want another so i am leaning to the M3 convertible because the new Clk cabrio wont be out for a while.
Old 06-08-2002, 06:08 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get a Mercedes or Porsche

BMWs are for kids (wait isn't that tricks are for kids?).

Anyway, not to bring back the whole argument/discussion that went on for several weeks last year when the new M3 came out(BMW vs Mercedes, stick vs automatic, etc.), but it all depends on your viewpoint on the cars. I thinK M3s are for teenagers and dotcommers that are too young for a real Mercedes or can't afford a CLK55. That is my opinion. Some fifty year olds disagree with me and drive M3s but I think they look silly (I am 33).

I would get a current CLK 55, new CLK 500 or pick up a near new 911. I will never buy a BMW again (well, maybe an X5 if the Cayenne is disappointing) because I see them as a step down from Mercedes (appearance and "classines", not performance as performance is comparable). THAT IS MY OPINION. I am sure many BMW owners will disagree, but you asked for honest opinions and mine is dump the yuppie mobile and get a Mercedes or Porsche.
Old 06-08-2002, 06:13 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Re: Get a Mercedes or Porsche

Originally posted by ibanez
BMWs are for kids (wait isn't that tricks are for kids?).

Anyway, not to bring back the whole argument/discussion that went on for several weeks last year when the new M3 came out(BMW vs Mercedes, stick vs automatic, etc.), but it all depends on your viewpoint on the cars. I thinK M3s are for teenagers and dotcommers that are too young for a real Mercedes or can't afford a CLK55. That is my opinion. Some fifty year olds disagree with me and drive M3s but I think they look silly (I am 33).

I would get a current CLK 55, new CLK 500 or pick up a near new 911. I will never buy a BMW again (well, maybe an X5 if the Cayenne is disappointing) because I see them as a step down from Mercedes (appearance and "classines", not performance as performance is comparable). THAT IS MY OPINION. I am sure many BMW owners will disagree, but you asked for honest opinions and mine is dump the yuppie mobile and get a Mercedes or Porsche.
i see where your comming from, i see alot of younger KIDS in the new M# dont ask how they afford it but they do.
Old 06-08-2002, 06:18 PM

m3 all the way. I made the same decision u have to make and I chose the m3. Have u seen the top gear review of the m3? If u see it youll definetely choose the m3. Go to kazaa, type in M3 and choose top gear m3 review.
Old 06-08-2002, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I would go with the CLK... there definitely are way too many bimmers in NO.VA for my liking... and it's been around for a while..with the new CLK.. they will be unique for a few days...

bottom line is what do you want.. if you are looking for performance and speed...then go with the M..but if you want to get from A to B with a bit of oomph... go with the CLK

either way..what ever you get...wanna give your fellow MB neighbor a ride in it
Old 06-08-2002, 06:48 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally posted by Fuzzo
I would go with the CLK... there definitely are way too many bimmers in NO.VA for my liking... and it's been around for a while..with the new CLK.. they will be unique for a few days...

bottom line is what do you want.. if you are looking for performance and speed...then go with the M..but if you want to get from A to B with a bit of oomph... go with the CLK

either way..what ever you get...wanna give your fellow MB neighbor a ride in it
ha, i'd be happy to give anyone here a ride but not to many people here live in FL. well at least near me.
Old 06-08-2002, 07:30 PM

'03 CLK500
Wink CLK vs. M3

As previously mentioned, I believe that the CLK comes off as much more of a status car while the M3 is probably a better performing car. To me it wasn't much of a choice, as the CLK500 will more than satisfy my driving needs while still being a very nice looking car. While the M3 is nice, it resembles the other 3-series cars too much - and I've really grown to dislike those.

On a side note, at my MB dealer today, I saw a Tectite Gray C32 AMG, and I must say - if I didn't have my eyes set on the CLK500, I'd be riding around in one of those. It was gorgeous. I really wish they were making the CLKs in that color.

On another side note, I got to see an E-class in "Capri Blue" - the color which I was intending to get my CLK in. After seeing it in person, blech! It looks purple from some angles, and just did not resemble what I pictured it looking like. What color is that dark "midnight" blue? I don't believe its Black Opal..
Old 06-08-2002, 08:20 PM

2002M3
LILRAJA:

Get BOTH!

M3 - Excellent Fast Car
CLK500 - Don't Know Yet
CLK430 - Grand Touring Car

If I have to pick one:

M3 or CLK500: M3!
few months later get the CLK500 as well

M3 or CLK55: M3! (can't really compare these two cars - one is inline6 and the other is a V8)

M5 or CLK55: CLK55! - Hate 4 door sport sedan
Old 06-08-2002, 08:39 PM

i guess this is why there is a bit of confusion. I am in my mid to late 20s. So far I have owned 00 323ci ---> 01 330ci --> 02 330ci. Maybe it's time to retire the 3-series. But damn they are really nice cars. yeah lots of young people drive the car. M3 will be very powerful vs. CLK500 is it time to take it to the next level? I think it's for a little more sophisticated crowd and the v-8 sound will be nice. More importantly I think it will get more respect/status than the M3. M3 is more awed by people who know the car. Whereas the CLK500 will be like damn nice ride. So it boils down to have I really grown up? What if I get clk500 will I wonder about my boy racer days? What if I get the M3, I will wonder when will i act like my age? I am bit confused myself. That's why I asked this question.

I think the responses have been positive and might highly consider the CLK500 as benzs have always been nice and pulsh.
thanks everyone!

LIL Raja
Old 06-08-2002, 09:00 PM

2002M3
LILRAJA:

Some may say BMW are kid cars
Porsche, Ferrari etc - man with short (you know what)

Don't be bias or judgmental about cars in general. Difference people has different taste and needs.

Don't get a car for a wrong reason like respect or status. People will have their says, you can't please everyone. So, ask yourself a question "What kind of driver are you?" Maybe you're already know what to want.

M3 or CLK500 - both are great cars. I would congratulate you for either car.

Last edited by vivianlove; 06-08-2002 at 09:04 PM.
Old 06-09-2002, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
CLK500 will (might) be too slow,-- for you!

Test drive a 2002 CLK55 AMG and a 2002 CLK430 and experience the difference.

The new 2003 CLK500 will be similar to the 2002 CLK430. The new CLK500 is 300 pounds heavier because of the "pillarless" design, requiring additional side re-enforcement.
Old 06-09-2002, 10:32 AM

Originally posted by karl k
CLK500 will (might) be too slow,-- for you!

Test drive a 2002 CLK55 AMG and a 2002 CLK430 and experience the difference.

The new 2003 CLK500 will be similar to the 2002 CLK430. The new CLK500 is 300 pounds heavier because of the "pillarless" design, requiring additional side re-enforcement.
I hope it's not the same as CLK430. Drove couple of them and they just did not feel right on the twisty roads. I thought the performance was going to be better since it's a whole new platform vs. the older clk from c-class chassis. I am not looking for a rocket. I still have the e36 M3 and s2000. I want a combination of look, performance and luxury. I only hold back on the new clk is the back, look 2 much like a volvo. I hope it grows on me when I see it in person.
LIL Raja
Old 06-09-2002, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
I was mainly addressing the similarities in acceleration/performance 430 v 500. The CLK55 AMG is just my favorite; if you have not test-driven one...

Agree with the design shortcoming of the rear lights. And its true, many see in the new CLK reflections of the Volvo/Taurus/Acura CL rear light assemblies.
Old 06-09-2002, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
i'd get both also (eventually) . but if you had to choose one right now, i'd get the m3 for a little while at least (i'm assuming that you've never had an m3).

my ultimate clk would be an AMG CLK55 w/ the vario glass roof!!! think that'll ever happen?
Old 06-09-2002, 07:18 PM

i have an e36 M3, but the E46 m3 is a whole different animal.
Hmm. I think I concluded on what to do. I will sell the 02 330ci soon, then end of summer sell the 02 s2000. Then save up some money while looking for a better job that pays more as well. By then I will have the liquid cash on hand and then can take my time to decide which one to get. I am leaning closer to the clk500 now, but I can't make the decision without actually test driving one. :-)

LIL Raja
Old 06-09-2002, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by LILRAJA
a better job that pays more
shoot.. i could use one of those as well....
Old 06-09-2002, 09:35 PM

Lilraj, i went autocrossing today and I was drifting my m3 on every corner. Try that in a clk! Im not ******* on a clk but here it is straight out. If you want a car you can cruise in, CLK 500. You want a car you can cruise in and autocross-track and have a lot of fun in get the m3. And as far as prestige and looks. Trust me , people respect the m3. It dosent have the image of a boy racer it has the image of business man.
Old 06-09-2002, 10:27 PM

Shahin,
I think you make a good point. Like I said before, my goal is to unload the cars I have now and get a better job and get some new cars. I really like the M3 (i think ever since my friend got his, I am more tempted). I alos like the new CLK. The only way I think to have best of both world is to get them both. How would that be possible? I would need another 30-35k on top of the two cars I have easily to get that. So my goal is to restructure my life and come up with a game plan. I will look for a new job (higher pay), save more and look into investment. By the end of the year I would like to have one of them, by next year summer time I would like the other one. I think it would be good combation to have. I think the wifey will like the CLK. :-)

LIL Raja

ps. now i need to get some major revamp in my life.
Old 06-09-2002, 10:49 PM

m3 for you. Clk for wife. I love the new CLK as well. I was signed up for it since last year but ever since I took Skip Barber Driving School I became more interested in performance driving; thats why I chose the m3. Both are great looking cars; One is the ultimate driving machine.
Old 06-09-2002, 11:42 PM

Originally posted by shahin
m3 for you. Clk for wife. I love the new CLK as well. I was signed up for it since last year but ever since I took Skip Barber Driving School I became more interested in performance driving; thats why I chose the m3. Both are great looking cars; One is the ultimate driving machine.
Which one did you attend? Skip Barber has several programs. Also why did you chose them over other school? Just curious how you narrowed down to them. I am looking into some of those schools as well and maybe you can give me some pointers.

LIL Raja
Old 06-10-2002, 12:03 AM

I attended the driving school at laguna seca. Skip barber is suppose to be one of the top schools. It has the best reputation. Next is their racing school, as soon as I complete a track event in the m3.

I knew I had learned valuable lessons at Skip Barber but today I got to test it out. No matter how loose the rear of my car would get I was always able to recover and barely hit any cones. Its quite amazing,
Old 06-10-2002, 10:17 AM

'03 CLK500
Skip Barber // Gran Turismo 3

Anybody out there every play Gran Turismo 3 for PlayStation 2? In the instruction manual, they have a virtual Skip Barber Driving School - with several pages detailing how to take turns, when to brake/accelerate, and how to hit the road at the right points with your car. While its obviously nowhere near the same as taking an actual racing course, I can say confidently that reading the Skip Barber tips and playing the game for endless hours has improved my driving abilities considerably. Any driving enthusiasts out there who have PS2 - get GT3!
Old 06-10-2002, 10:17 AM
Almost a Member!

I have a similar predicament

A few months ago i lost my clk430 to a crash (by my gf) and as a result have been in the market for a new vehicle. I also narrowed it down to the M3 and the Clk500. I was leaning heavily on the Clk500 until i did some research on the new M3 SMG. I live in NYC so driving a stick just isnt practical. Having driven the clk430 for 2 years i feel qualified to say that the clk is definitely a combination of luxury and performance in comparison to the majority of cars out there. However, when matched against an M3 be it stick or SMG the clk comes up short in almost every dept performance wise. Ive driven an M3 Smg and was blown away by the engine. The car is just amazing, and i tend to disagree about the M3
Old 06-10-2002, 10:23 AM
Almost a Member!

continued.....

Accidentally hit the enter button....
so as i was saying i tend to disagree that the M3 is a kids car. I dont see many kids in NY driving an M3 although that might not be the case in the West Coast. The point is unless you are getting a CLK55 an M3 will get you more if not the same level of respect the CLK500 will. Afterall, they are both similarly priced. But dont let what other ppl think influence your decision on a car. Instead figure out what you want and make a choice from that. The M3 hands down is a better car than the Clk500. Even though i havent actually driven the clk500 i am assuming it to be quite similar to the 430 in performance and comfort (only a 35 hp increase). Having said that, the Clk500 is no honda either and im sure it will get you more looks than the M3.

Ultimately i made my decision to purchase the M3 because of the SMG option. But just like you i am very indecisive so i had a deposit for both cars. Whichever comes first is whichever ill own in the end. The m3 should be here by midjuly, the clk500 probably beginning of august. You can always get your deposit back....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: honest opinion needed? which one would you buy?