CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

NEED HELP ... Alignment with Euro-spec springs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEED HELP ... Alignment with Euro-spec springs

[?] I'm putting on Michelin PS2 on my stock AMG 17" rims. I told my MB mechanic I lowered the springs to Euro-spec AMG springs and the #1 spring pads all the way around.

The MB mechanic says the only AMG specs they have in their alignment computer is for the stock (American-version) AMG springs and I need to find out what the Euro specs (when I lowered the car) so he can manually input the numbers into the alignment computer to properly align my front end. He says without it, I won't be able to accurately adjust the camber/castor for the front wheels.

Those who have "lowered" your cars ... what have you done to properly set your alignment ... I don't want to have to buy tires any sooner than I already have to ... which is to damn soon with ZR rated tires to begin with ...
Old 06-21-2005, 07:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts
E 63S Wagon Renntech, E55 Renntech, SL65, SL 55 030, ML, bunch of old ones--they come, they go...
I used the US specs for CLK 55...

and worked out OK ( I'm assuming we're talking about a 208 here). But you do need to know that you're going to have some serious camber issues with those #1 pads all the way around. If you have not yet installed the factory crash bolts in the front, you might as well hold up unitl you do. You're simply not going to be able to get enough camber in the front. The real problem is in the rear, as camber is not adjustable. With those number one pads, you're going to eat tires up in a hurry, not to mention that it's going to look pretty wimpy with those 17's and really low ride height. Again, the car is not supposed to be that low in the rear, or "even" with the front. It's supposed to be a trace higher in the rear for passengers, fuel, and luggage. And that also eases yoru camber problem, although it won't go away. Hope this helps.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
My dealership did the whole shebang. I am assuming they used the factory U.S. settings. I have no issues/problems associated with the change (my pads are 2 bump front and 1 bump rear), and have not experienced any unusual tire wear to date (4K miles).

I was going to suggest you posting over on http://www.amg-owners-club.org/board/en/wbb2/index.php, but I see you have already posed the question on the AMG Owners Group site.....

Last edited by Chappy; 06-21-2005 at 07:33 AM.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts
E 63S Wagon Renntech, E55 Renntech, SL65, SL 55 030, ML, bunch of old ones--they come, they go...
Hey Steve...

you're back, I assume....good times?
Old 06-21-2005, 08:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by allenjdmb
you're back, I assume....good times?
....but of course...

One really nice thing: On the first leg from ATL to Miami, AA bumped us to 1st Class
Old 06-21-2005, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by Chappy
....but of course...

One really nice thing: On the first leg from ATL to Miami, AA bumped us to 1st Class
Alcoholics anonymous bumped you up to 1st class?? Wow, they really are cool!
Old 06-21-2005, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by TAMPACLK55AMG
[?] I'm putting on Michelin PS2 on my stock AMG 17" rims. I told my MB mechanic I lowered the springs to Euro-spec AMG springs and the #1 spring pads all the way around.

The MB mechanic says the only AMG specs they have in their alignment computer is for the stock (American-version) AMG springs and I need to find out what the Euro specs (when I lowered the car) so he can manually input the numbers into the alignment computer to properly align my front end. He says without it, I won't be able to accurately adjust the camber/castor for the front wheels.

Those who have "lowered" your cars ... what have you done to properly set your alignment ... I don't want to have to buy tires any sooner than I already have to ... which is to damn soon with ZR rated tires to begin with ...
your dealership sucks. My MB dealer aligned the wheels with Brabus Suspension and the 19" wheels mounted.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:59 AM

Thanks everyone for your insights ...

I got the specs from Gert over in Belgium ... he got the alignment specs from MB overthere ... and had the Euro-alignment specs (for the Euro-AMG springs and #1 spring pads) for my W208 AMG emailed to me.

I found a high-performance alignment and suspension facility (Cars and Concepts) located in Tampa, FL ... they only specialize in the upgrade and customizing of BMW, Porsche, Ferrari, and of course ... Mercedes Benz.

With the addition of two alignment bolts ... the car was aligned perfectly ... within the true AMG specs ... BTW ... the Michelin PS2's are awesome!

I might go with 18's after these tires wear out ... but I must say ... the car looks great ... and not like a 4x4 ... compared to in old photos.

I found out that Porsche owners do the same thing ... those cars are also "Americanized" with higher springs to meet ride height requirements ... and Cars and Concepts do the upgrades for those owners all the time ... nice to go to a repair shop that is already familiar with the "quirks" of Euro-performance autos.