CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Transport damaged CLK55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 11:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'07 Carrera S, '31 A 5W hot rod, 4Runner. Sold CLK55
Transport damaged CLK55

I had my car shipped from NC to Seattle WA on an open car hauler, yes, I know now, huge mistake. I've had several of my friends ship cars the same way with no problems. The car arrived filthy dirty and after I washed it I discovered all the damage. Hundreds of rock chips covered the entire car. Seriously, the entire car. Every surface needs to be repainted, all the glass replaced, rear tail lights and rear rims replaced. Two and a half months later, with my lawyer handling it after I became frustrated with the lack of progress, the $12,500 repair check is in the mail. I've been too upset over it to even surf the boards. I've included some some pics of the damage and the car comming off the truck in WA.
Attached Thumbnails Transport damaged CLK55-pict0262.jpg   Transport damaged CLK55-pict0094.jpg   Transport damaged CLK55-pict0095.jpg   Transport damaged CLK55-pict0119.jpg   Transport damaged CLK55-pict0134.jpg  

Old 09-21-2005, 11:35 PM

more
Attached Thumbnails Transport damaged CLK55-pict0133.jpg   Transport damaged CLK55-pict0135.jpg  
Old 09-21-2005, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damn thats messed up. I cant believe how bad ur car looks. Man looks like ur car went thru a meteor shower. Now I know to never have my car delivered by trucks. Sorry to see what happened to ur car but im glad u got money for the damages. When I got into an accident my car looks worst than urs, but I took it to a great body shop and my car looks better than before plus i got other scratches fixed as well. Good luck!
Old 09-21-2005, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever

USE OPEN TRANSPORT FOR A BENZ!!!!!

Sorry that happened bro. Could be worse.....heard about one company that dropped off the car with the front windshield smashed out hood gashed.....truck driver drove away laughing under his breath.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:59 PM

Ferrrari 458 Lamborghini SL 570-4 Mercedes CLS63
Just had my CL55 delivered via flat bed from L.A to S.F, I was lucky....no visual damage.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:18 AM
Almost a Member!

i used passport transport (fedex).... enclosed, very professional. cost twice as much as the "internet" transporters, but im glad i didnt pinch pennies...
Old 09-22-2005, 04:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 CLS55 AMG
OMFG!!!!! Thats ruined! Im so sorry about your beautiful CLK55! I cant believe the F*ckers put it right there behind the trucks wheels! Some people are so stupid that its mistifying. Truck gets to a certain speed....mud flaps are lifted by airflow....rocks and dirt are freely ejected by tires onto car. What a bunch of F'ing momo's. Get the car fixed and trade it for another AMG.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
That looks more like shrapnel! Sorry to hear of the misfortune and hopefully your repair facility will make any repairs invisible.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:00 AM

'99 E430
Originally Posted by clk04
i used passport transport (fedex).... enclosed, very professional. cost twice as much as the "internet" transporters, but im glad i didnt pinch pennies...
Mine rode with Passport cross-country without a hitch. That damage is terrible! If nothing else they should know to top-load higher-end cars, even in enclosed trailers. Yours rode right behind the rear tractor wheels, which is like being directly in front of a sandblaster. Good luck with your claim and/or repairs.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W215 CL600
If anyone wants a name/number of the guy I use, please let me know. Enclosed, great pricing, nice guy, and car enthusiast. I have had him trailer my Viper a couple of times and also our 37 Chevy Hot Rod...all 100% perfect. If anyone is thinking of using a transport, please shoot me a PM for details.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:11 AM
Out Of Control!!

In the market
I have had bad experiences with transport companies...even with the car loaded on the upper level. I will never use a transport company again.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:14 AM

OH NO, Id be furious. Sorry they ruined your car, I feel for you. Good luck with the repaint ect.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 W205 C43 AMG
Like my man Steve Stifler said in Old School, "That ***** is NOT cool!" Thanks for posting all the pics.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:41 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 245 Likes on 178 Posts
Your car was in absolutely the worst spot on the trailer as the wheels of the truck shot all the road debris onto the back of your car. The mudflaps on the truck did nothing to protect your car. From the excellent pictures you have a competent attorney should be able to do wonders for you. Best of luck to you.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:16 PM

W203 C240
MAN that sucks but out of that 12,5 is that with or without the lawyer fees?

BTW car loaded on the top level faces the same amount of rocks or was it just hit from bugs and bird *****?
Old 10-25-2005, 02:07 PM

2002 CLK55 Cabriolet (DEAD: 1989 300E, 1984 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible)
In case it makes you feel any better, I had my CLK55 shipped from AZ in a closed container, yet it still arrived with scratches on the right side of the rear bumper (see attached photo) - and thus ensued a he said/she said argument between the transport company and the dealership I bought it from, both claiming the other side must've done it and it couldn't have been them ... eventually I got tired of haggling with both of them and getting nowhere (and knowing the cost of a lawyer would swamp the cost of repair) and had this guy (Pacific Restores) come out to spot-fix it and he screwed it up too (paint ended up looking like a matte finish on an otherwise glossy bumper - he did this work at nighttime, big mistake). All in all a very frustrating experience and I still don't have it fixed right ... grrrrr.
Attached Thumbnails Transport damaged CLK55-clk55-rear-bumper-mbworld.jpg  

Last edited by Riot Nrrrd; 10-25-2005 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:30 PM
Out Of Control!

The ONLY enclosed transport trailer should anyone use when shipping their Benzo is InterCity Lines! These guys are awsome! Just make sure to book 2-3weeks in advance!
Old 10-25-2005, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

12' C63 P31, 06' Supercharged Range, 08' BMW 550i
Originally Posted by JamE55
The ONLY enclosed transport trailer should anyone use when shipping their Benzo is InterCity Lines! These guys are awsome! Just make sure to book 2-3weeks in advance!
I too used InterCity to ship to Kleemann and the car did not have a single scratch or chip... InterCity = Best in the Biz.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:29 PM

'04 c230 SS, '06 RR supercharge sport, '06 z4 M Roadster
Wow, that's pretty bad. Sorry to see/hear about the damage.

We'll be waiting to hear the updates. I hope your lawyer can work it out with them.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by hybrid_girl
Wow, that's pretty bad. Sorry to see/hear about the damage.

We'll be waiting to hear the updates. I hope your lawyer can work it out with them.

The car has been in the repair shop for the last week so I should have it back sometime this week. I'll post a few pictures of my completely repainted car. I'll also be adding clearguard/stonguard.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:56 PM

1997 C36 AMG
Originally Posted by VelocitE55
OMFG!!!!! Thats ruined! Im so sorry about your beautiful CLK55! I cant believe the F*ckers put it right there behind the trucks wheels! Some people are so stupid that its mistifying. Truck gets to a certain speed....mud flaps are lifted by airflow....rocks and dirt are freely ejected by tires onto car. What a bunch of F'ing momo's. Get the car fixed and trade it for another AMG.

Exactly...some people just have the brain with the size of their left nutz ..

I am glad to hear that you finnally got your check..

Regardz,
Old 10-26-2005, 12:01 PM

2002 CLK55 Cabriolet (DEAD: 1989 300E, 1984 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible)
Originally Posted by dragonAMG
Originally Posted by JamE55
The ONLY enclosed transport trailer should anyone use when shipping their Benzo is InterCity Lines ! These guys are awesome! Just make sure to book 2-3 weeks in advance!
I too used InterCity to ship to Kleemann and the car did not have a single scratch or chip... InterCity = Best in the Biz.
Uh ... *BZZZT*, sorry guys, but THANKS FOR PLAYING OUR GAME!

I did use InterCity Lines ... they are only as good as their drivers. The drivers (a husband and wife team) showed me an inspection report that did not show those scratches above (see pic), which to me implicates them ... but InterCity (as an organization) claimed the scratches must have been there when they got it from the dealership.

Also, due to insurance issues, if InterCity admitted guilt, the drivers would've had to pay for it out of their own pockets, not the company.

I chalked it up to experience ... I will not buy out-of-state again and I will not ship a car again if I can help it ...
Old 10-26-2005, 12:23 PM
Out Of Control!

Originally Posted by Riot Nrrrd
I did use InterCity Lines ... they are only as good as their drivers. The drivers (a husband and wife team) showed me an inspection report that did not show those scratches above (see pic), which to me implicates them ... but InterCity (as an organization) claimed the scratches must have been there when they got it from the dealership.
So let me understand this. InterCity picked up your car from the dealership before you even owned it? Is that correct? Normally before they load the car inside the trailer they will do a very thorough inspection of the car and list if there were any scratches or dents etc or anything of that nature and let the customer know. But since it sounds like they picked it up from the dealer the person who dealth with Intercity either didn't care or missed those imperfections.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:27 PM

'11 S550 4Matic, '12 SL63 AMG, '13 ML350, '16 AMG GT-S Ed. 1,'03 Ford F-250
I feel your pain and hope you get this resolved with minimal pain-in-the-a$$ cost. I have had four MB's delivered with open transport and have never had a problem. Guess I am lucky/stupid. After seeing this, I probably will not do it again!