CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

New owner - first post

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2002, 02:40 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New owner - first post

Hello all:

After much debating, I purchased a 2001 CLK 55 (silver with two-tone interior) with 9,400 miles on it to replace my 2001 330ci.

I have a few questions. Unfortunately, I had to order the owners manual (it was missing) so some of these may be answered by that.

1) I paid 55k. Not that I’d be too upset if it wasn’t, but does this sound like a decent deal?

2) The two-tone interior - is this a normal factory option? was it only available on the CLK55?

Also, the light gray on the steering wheel seems like it gets very dirty What do you use to clean it? I am afraid to rub the area too hard. Any tricks?

4) Silly question time – I can’t get the side windows to roll all the way up without them moving back down to the “ventilation” position. What’s the trick?

5) I have a wicked dash creak when going over large bumps – It seems to be fixable with sticking black felt in the gap as I read here (I can stop it when I jam my finger in there) – where exactly should I stick the felt in, however? Anybody else try this fix? I’m not keen on having Mercedes take my dash apart just for this, but it does bother the heck out of me.

I'll try to put some pics up later today.

Thanks to all. I look forward to contributing to the forums.

-David
Old 07-29-2002, 03:04 PM

2002 C32 AMG
01 CLK55

I appears you have a good deal - what options were in the car ?
Command
Teleaid
Voice Command etc

-
First thing I would say is to change your air fliter to a K&N
what color is your two tone ?
Old 07-29-2002, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts
AMG
Re: New owner - first post

Originally posted by davidb
Hello all:

After much debating, I purchased a 2001 CLK 55 (silver with two-tone interior) with 9,400 miles on it to replace my 2001 330ci.

1) I paid 55k. Not that I’d be too upset if it wasn’t, but does this sound like a decent deal?

2) The two-tone interior - is this a normal factory option? was it only available on the CLK55?

Also, the light gray on the steering wheel seems like it gets very dirty What do you use to clean it? I am afraid to rub the area too hard. Any tricks?

-David

Congratulations, David

1. Sounds like a decent deal.
2. The silver/charcoal 2-tone was exclusive to the CLK55 as was the charcoal and blue leather combination.

Actually, your CLK55 AMG came with virtually every feature in the CLK-class line (may have been optional on the 320 or 430) as standard....with the exception of Timeport phone, COMAND and CD changer. Unless you want to get picky and add designio, ski sack/center armrest pass through and exclusive leather interior.....

However, other 2-tone combinations were available in both the designio (espresso and slate blue editions) and CLK320 and CLK430 interior options. Slate blue actually had "dark blue/charcoal" nappa leather, a little different (according to the 2001 CLK-class brochure).

3. Try Lexol Leather Cleaner on the steering wheel. Follow the directions. Follow up with the Lexol Leather Conditioner. Very good stuff.

I havn't experienced any squeaks/rattles, but mine is fairly new (under 1,000 miles). Can't comment on the windows.

Hope this helps!
Old 07-29-2002, 03:40 PM
Almost a Member!

The car does not have command, but does have teleaid. I don't know if it has voice command. Probably not. I'm not too familiar with the availible options on the CLK55 - I did not think that there were that many. I have to look at the original sticker to see what other options may be in there that are not obvious.

Honestly, I have not had too much time to mess with the car - I just got it Saturday and drove it home to Dallas from Chicago.

I have teleaid, but I don't know if it is hooked up. Don't I need the integrated phone for it to work? If so, I'll probably never use that option.

The two tone interior is black and light grey.

I have tried to attach a picture of the interior - sorry about the quality - I did not take this one. Hope the attachment works.

-David
Old 07-29-2002, 03:47 PM
Almost a Member!

Thanks for the info, Chappy. I was actually looking at a 2001 CLK55 (same colors - 13,000 miles) in Atlanta before I found this one. They were asking $53,000. That one fell through, but it seems like that would have been a good deal.

-David
Old 07-29-2002, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
The car does not have command, but does have teleaid. I don't know if it has voice command. Probably not.

I have teleaid, but I don't know if it is hooked up. Don't I need the integrated phone for it to work? If so, I'll probably never use that option.

The two tone interior is black and light grey.

I have tried to attach a picture of the interior - sorry about the quality - I did not take this one. Hope the attachment works.

-David
Teleaid is a "standard" feature. You don't need the Timeport phone to use teleaid, just pay the annual subscription fee. This fee also includes some features like remote vehicle unlocking and stolen vehicle tracking....could help lower your insurance premiums...mine went down another 10% when I told them I had this

It also connects the "i" button. The "wrench" button should work in any event you need assistance from a breakdown.
Old 07-29-2002, 04:08 PM

All of them, as much as I can...
Talking Congratulations

and Welcome!

You should push the SOS button to test it and to hear their salws pitch at least.
The windows will lower about 1/4 " when you open the doors and then roll fully closed after you shut the door. If not, try this: Ignition on engine running, close all the doors, roll all windows up. You may want to do the next step from the passenger's seat if you're over 5'7" and make sure you're in P and E-brake full on. better yet, chock rear tires front and back. Move the power seat all the way forward. then turn steering wheel all the way to the left, then all the way to the right. This should reprogram the seats and windows.
(same thing happened to me after I disconnected the battery after installing K&Ns) Also, with the engine running, push the lock button for 6 secs (the one on the dash). There's also a strange programming method for the passenger side mirror to look down when you put the car in reverse. Maybe you've figured this one out?
Old 07-29-2002, 04:21 PM
Almost a Member!

Thanks for the info, all.

So teleaid works without the integrated phone? If I push the wrench button, what happens? Do they just send a towtruck? How do they know what the problem is?

The "i" button: I don't know what this one does.

Sorry about all the ?'s. Not having the manual is frustrating.

I need to look into that passenget mirror tilt when in reverse. That is actually a useful feature on my BMW for the few times I park on the street.
Old 07-29-2002, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
David,

Like techbike says...just push the SOS button and talk to them. They will be able to answer all your questions.

The wrench button contacts MB service and they can obtain info about your vehicle, location and any service codes uploaded by the computers.

The "i" button is for information....kinda like a concierge service...'I need tickets to the play'...or... 'what is the closest Thai restaurant'...neat service, but you pay for it

Hope this helps
Old 07-29-2002, 05:13 PM

clk 55
David

Good Luck your new beast. It will be awesome. Quick question since you traveled all over to find the 55. Where did you look for the cars. Only reason I ask is I am selling mine and would like to know the best place to advertise it. Thanks
Old 07-29-2002, 05:34 PM
Almost a Member!

Jackr,

I found it on Autotrader. I have bought three cars from Autotrader listings and have been satisfied all three times.
They have a ton of listings on there - the most, so they advertise. I'd make sure and include a picture as I passed by all ads that did not. I'm going to put my old car on there in a few weeks myself. Good luck on you proposed sale.

I did not realize that teleaid allowed you to talk to anybody on the other side without having an integrated phone installed - thanks.
Old 07-29-2002, 08:09 PM

2001 CLK430
Nice car, congrats!

To find the area of the dash that squeaks just take a dollar bill, fold it in half, and run it along the space between the dash and the window until it "sticks". Leave the dollar there and take it for a spin. If the squeak is gone, you've found it. Just place a piece of black felt and push it down gently in that spot with a flat head screwdriver until you can't see it from the drivers seat. If you have multiple sqeaks, repeat as necessary.

Enjoy!

Last edited by CLK_Ivan; 07-30-2002 at 08:06 PM.
Old 07-30-2002, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
I did not realize that teleaid allowed you to talk to anybody on the other side without having an integrated phone installed - thanks.
A. - As suggested, 1. push the SOS buttom and wait for the emergency service voice to come on. (no voice = not activated)

If a voice comes on,

2. Say "this is a test." Tell them that you are the new owner, and you do not know whether the previous owner paid for the second year for the service.

On a NEW MB, the first year is FREE, incl. 30 minutes.

3. Then continue and ask the operator to give you your location,
to check the GPS.

B. - Are your front tires worn on the insides?

If so, they are underinflated. Happened to me. After 8,000 miles,
I increaded the psi from 33 to 40.

I am running 38-40 psi on the front and 35 psi on the rear tires.

C. - Run the car for 500 miles and make a list of ALL things that are wrong, and take the car to the MB service center near you, while getting your free A SERVICE and a free loaner, - hope for a MB car.

D. - If there are any vibrations, you are entitled to one free alignment, which you can have done while taking care of your list of defects and the A service.

E. - Read the MB manuals.

Welcome!! You got a great car.

PS:
I would stain the light gray top portion of the steering wheel charcoal black, like the rest of the wheel. Just do not like the light gray looks.
Old 07-30-2002, 08:46 AM

ML 500 Sport
Congrads on your new ride!

You will have to call teleaid and ask them if the subscription is active, give them all your information... it was free the first year but you still had to sign up for it. You do not have to have a phone...it has it's own electronics. As above...push the SOS button and wait for them to answer...tell them you just bought the car and are checking the system...they will then either update the subscription or if you want..get you signed up.

The window problem may not go away with the proceedure above you may have to see MB service...they will correct the problem under warrantee...almost all CLK's had it.
Old 07-30-2002, 09:37 AM

2002 C32 AMG
best place to sell 55

Try http://www.dupontregistry.com That's where I found my baby :-)
Old 07-30-2002, 10:07 AM
Out Of Control!

davidb

Congrats on your new found ride! Something familiar with your interior though?! Again awsome ride!
Old 07-30-2002, 12:34 PM
Almost a Member!

Thanks for all the advice, guys. I appreciate it.

JamE55 said: "Something familiar with your interior though?!"

I'm not sure what you mean. You mean that you have seen that particular picture before? The picture is from Lake Auto Group's website. The CLK55 on their site is the one I bought.

Karl K: I will look into all you suggested.

CLK_Ivan: I will try to take care of the squeaks tonight, Thanks.
Old 07-30-2002, 12:42 PM
Out Of Control!

Thanks for all the advice, guys. I appreciate it.

JamE55 said: "Something familiar with your interior though?!"

I'm not sure what you mean. You mean that you have seen that particular picture before? The picture is from Lake Auto Group's website. The CLK55 on their site is the one I bought.

davidb

What i meant was the color of your interior is the same as mine. That's all.
Old 07-30-2002, 12:49 PM
Almost a Member!

Oh, I see. I thought that at first, but I did not see that in your signature descriptions. My mistake.
Old 07-30-2002, 03:29 PM
Almost a Member!

JamE55: I just caught a pic of your ride in another thread and I must say that you have the best looking E class I have ever seen. Those rims are fantastic, especially the lip on the rear. Congratulations.
Old 08-01-2002, 01:05 AM
Out Of Control!

Oh, I see. I thought that at first, but I did not see that in your signature descriptions. My mistake.
No prob davidb! It's all good!
Old 08-01-2002, 01:07 AM
Out Of Control!

JamE55: I just caught a pic of your ride in another thread and I must say that you have the best looking E class I have ever seen. Those rims are fantastic, especially the lip on the rear. Congratulations.
davidb

Thanks for the compliments on the car and especially on the rims! These rims are just simply awsome light, forged and fat lipped! :p :p