CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Kleemann Cams review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 05:18 PM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 ML-500 , 03 CLK5.5 AMG has left the Garage
Kleemann Cams review

I had finished the install mid January06. Put the car on the dyno and saw no increase in Hp or torque at the rear wheels. I was in a panic!!, So I sat down & looked at some of my header dyno runs. I then lined up the hp & tq chart numbers at rpm . I went over to the A/F ratio side. And there it was I had some 14-1 spots , even though the graph looked linear .No big dips or bumps . The dyno guy goes HUMMM needs some fuel. Then I remembered , the crimped fuel feed line, you know !!!the one I posted about with Pictures. So off I go I had one built with new 45* fittings , as to ease the sharp radius. Off to the Drags at Moroso. Lay down a 12.66 @ 111.00 mph. way cool . My best time before the cams was 12.9s @108.8 mph . Back to the dyno again. This time it is RICH. maybe all this time the crimped fuel ine has been holding me down. The ECU gets sent back to Kleemann. with the dyno sheet. Remind you I always use the same dyno operator & dyno. As to keep things Straight & consistent. It comes back and I dyno it again , BTW I'm up to 30+ dyno runs since May of 05. I can't hardly buy a burger at Micky Dees.

Well the boys at Kleemann did it again. They found 6.5 more H/P. They had to pull some fuel out .The cams brought me about 10 more rear wheel H/P increase on top the the headers. Where these cams really shine is . once the car is moving , the intake air is being forced to the intake manifold . and the cams with more intake dwell time can take advantage of the better cylinder fill at high mph speeds.. Idle is still smooth . no loss of any bottom end torque. I guess the moral of the story IS. (I've said this before.) You can race dyno's all day long. but history is made at the Track.!! I KNOW , I KNOW , We still need to dyno test , so we don't go backward. The numbers are true, but don't show the whole story. All I can say , Is the cams worked for me. Attached is the Dyno Sheets. Good Luck & happy motoring
Attached Thumbnails Kleemann Cams review-dyno-run-30.jpg   Kleemann Cams review-30-f-ratio.jpg  
Old 03-03-2006, 06:17 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PTE,

Glad you're liking the cams! Now just imagine your cams combined with F/I! Talk about power! But glad you're on board! Just curious what rpm do you start noticing the cams kick in? 4k 5k? Congrats buddy!
Old 03-03-2006, 06:37 PM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Kleemann Cams

H/P & TQ was pretty close until 3900 rpm , after that its starts to increase. jumps up 4 H/P at 4000 rpmand keeps rising steadly
Old 03-03-2006, 06:52 PM
Out Of Control!

Nice. Keep us updated on any more of your work.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Great info, thanks!

What are all your performance mods at this point?
Old 03-03-2006, 08:54 PM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Kleemann Cams

Lets see ?? Mods

Green EBC brake pads -- Couldn't stand the Dust
Thermo tech the OEM air Box
EVO sports underdrive pulley system
Kleemann ECU Package- Speed limiter remove , trans shift points changed. Midrange torque & H/P increase
Renn-tech Carbon Fiber air box. E-bay purchase
Green Air Filters
Thermo Tech Renn-tech air box
Kleemann Headers & Down pipes w/ 100 cell race cats
Carlsson S.S. Muffler
Kleemann Cams
Nitto drag Radials 245-17/45

Everything was done in My Home garage , with a good set of hand tools. oh Yeah. Custom exhaust pipes were done at a local Shop. but I built all the pipe support brackets. The shop did the welding on the S.S. custom pipes. Used a Flowmaster y pipe . 2 2 1/2 in and 3 1/4 out

Next is the LSD and Kleemann lowering springs
Take care ___PTE___
Old 03-03-2006, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
with most cams you really wont see a huge power gain but you will see good gains under the curve. You should overlay the dynos from before and after cams. I bet you will see more power in the upper rpm range.

Trending Topics

Old 12-10-2006, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by PTE
Lets see ?? Mods

Green EBC brake pads -- Couldn't stand the Dust
Thermo tech the OEM air Box
EVO sports underdrive pulley system
Kleemann ECU Package- Speed limiter remove , trans shift points changed. Midrange torque & H/P increase
Renn-tech Carbon Fiber air box. E-bay purchase
Green Air Filters
Thermo Tech Renn-tech air box
Kleemann Headers & Down pipes w/ 100 cell race cats
Carlsson S.S. Muffler
Kleemann Cams
Nitto drag Radials 245-17/45

Everything was done in My Home garage , with a good set of hand tools. oh Yeah. Custom exhaust pipes were done at a local Shop. but I built all the pipe support brackets. The shop did the welding on the S.S. custom pipes. Used a Flowmaster y pipe . 2 2 1/2 in and 3 1/4 out

Next is the LSD and Kleemann lowering springs
Take care ___PTE___
Patrick was this run(12.6) done b4 you installed the Kleeman diff?
Old 12-11-2006, 06:45 AM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Quaife TBD

Yes . that is correct.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I noticed the dyno #'s post with the cams you put down 325whp. How did you get 341whp in the recent dyno you posted? Does this have anything to do with the diff and putting more whp down or am I missing a mod or something? Or was it soft ware reprogramming? Sorry for all the questions. You r the stndard you know LOL!

with cams no diff:

Last dyno posted with cams and diff? :

Last edited by ProjectC55; 12-11-2006 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:45 PM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

The Standard?

Humm 16 horsepower? All I can say is my car likes that Atlanta cool air. That day it was 54* and very low humidity. They ran about 30 cars through the dyno. Some guys felt their numbers were low, and others like myself were right proud of what it showed. The only changes I had made between dyno runs (FLA versus GA) I did some work on the inlet elbow just above the throttle body where the mass air flow sensor, resides. Hard to believe that got me all 16 horsepower, but it is what it is. Even Noah from AMG said the car sounded right.

I currently finished a Moroso track rental with 14 other cars. This was to be my last test and tune before I prepare the car's engine for some major mods. None of the other 14 cars performed well at this track rental. Almost everybody complained about a loss of 3 - 4 mph and 4/10ths of a second increase over their best known 1/4 mile times. There was a 12 - 15 mpr headwind, it was overcast all day long (no oxygen in the air), the sunlight never shown to heat up the track, they had to apply VHT adhesive twice just to get us to hookup.
But we all had fun heating up our tires and trying. Oh well so much for the standard.

Last edited by PTE; 06-11-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Those are still good #'s though. Your mph is a lil lower but you said that was a common complaint. I'm hoping that with the diff and exh I can pull a high 12 in there. Or possibly a tad lower since you posted a 12.3 which is phenominal N/A. Ideally a 12.8 or 12.7 with drag radials and I'm happy. I'll leave the 11 sec runs and high traps to my Eagle Talon!

Hope to have:
Quaiff diff
Custom headers
Custom exhaust to tailpipe.
Reprogram the SW again after dyno and A/F readiing.

What do you think about my expectations with these parts included as far as 1/4 mile time are concerned?
Old 12-12-2006, 08:54 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK550, Sports Suspension, Black Opal
what did you do to shift the tranny shift points? What did you change them to?
Old 12-14-2006, 08:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by dan212
what did you do to shift the tranny shift points? What did you change them to?
How can he ans that? That's a Kleeman question!
Old 12-14-2006, 11:08 PM
Almost a Member!

I am asking who did it and how. Its a programming change that involves flashing the Chip. I know Kleeman can do that, my Kleemann dealer suggested it last spring for my then CLK320 (after a supercharge mod). They said Kleemann COULD flash it with the AMG program IMAGE for the CLK55, but I would need the same gearing on the rear end as the 5 speed AMG had or else the entire shift point model would be wacky.

So what did you have done? Did they flash your controller chip with the AMG program or do they or someone else now know how to directly change the shift points?

My interest in reprogramming the Tranny was that it would follow the AMG "speed shift" model which is (according to them) just a programming difference. Its one thing to flash the chip and another to modify the image to allow for a different rear end gearing. The 550 an the 63 both have 7 speeds, but the rear end is very different.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:30 PM

CLK55 Cabrio
What diff did you install?
Old 12-15-2006, 09:55 PM
Almost a Member!

I didn't. This was a planned modification that I was exploring with the shop. We had researched this as an option option. I had a CLk320 and was looking at adding a Kleeman blower, springs, ECU and changing the firmware on the tranny. The dif for my 2005 was close enough that I could get away with it. The brakes would have been a little small for the power. The shop estimated that the ECU and blower would get me close to 360.

After waiting 2 months for the V6 blower to arrive, the 2007 550 models were announced. No contest. More HP and torque (stunning), paddle shifters, larger & drilled front rotors (compared to 2006 500). I ordered it with exactly the features that I wanted which included the "sports suspension option" that brings stiffer springs and shocks plus a slight drop from standard. The handling is MUCH better and the 5.5 engine knocks your socks off.

BUT - boys will be boys and I still want to fiddle. Its a little too quiet for my taste at lower RPM's. Can't even hear it at idle, but under load it makes a nice roar. Maybe an exhaust change is pending. The stiffer suspension handles very well while still riding bad roads nicely, but I'd be curious to hear how progressive shocks like the Kleeman's could improve.

I'd REALLY like to program the AMG "speed shift" functionality that automatically downshifts under hard braking. You can simulate that by just holding the shift or paddle down for just over one second. It will shift into optimum range for Torque and engine braking (around 3K), but its not quite the same. If you continue to brake, you would have to repeat (and not get the desired result), where the "speed shift" programming would continue to downshift as the revs drop under detected hard breaking. The UP-shift points under full acceleration are dead on. I can't see changing them. I'd like the tranny to downshift earlier than it does now under less than hard load (instead of a kick down) which a reprogramming could also achieve.

So that is why I am wondering what was done to the transmission programming. It was an option for me as a straight flash from an AMG image. That won't work (as I understand it) with the 7 speed images because the diff gearing between AMG 63 and 550 is so different.

The description above sounds like something different might have been done and I am curious.

-dan
Old 12-15-2006, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Originally Posted by coolcarlskiC43

Hope to have:
Quaiff diff
Custom headers
Custom exhaust to tailpipe.
Reprogram the SW again after dyno and A/F readiing.

What do you think about my expectations with these parts included as far as 1/4 mile time are concerned?

If you will just give in to the fact that you want and need F/I you will worry about 11's I would say that the sum of the modifications above is a good chunk of it. A W202 5.5 with a blower is an 11 sec car. I can't see how you can resist, I'd worry about those things after considering the possibility.

If I were to do it again I'd follow what GregC did with his 208 55 only with a vortech. His was pretty tame and it made good power.

PTE: Those sound awesome. An overlay of some sort would be great to see the curves. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by NitrogenBalance
If you will just give in to the fact that you want and need F/I you will worry about 11's I would say that the sum of the modifications above is a good chunk of it. A W202 5.5 with a blower is an 11 sec car. I can't see how you can resist, I'd worry about those things after considering the possibility.

If I were to do it again I'd follow what GregC did with his 208 55 only with a vortech. His was pretty tame and it made good power.

I've thought about it. Greg C's kit is nice but costs about 7k or 8k if I'm right ,can't remember! I've surrendered to keep modding the Talon and be conservative with the Benz. Just too expensive to fix if something breaks(like I really care )

The headers are like 250.00 per cylinder built! The guy is going to inspect the job tomorrow on Sunday. The diff around 1800.00 minus install.

The best way to go for the $$ would be HPS but the kit has to be modded according to Mario for the 5.5L engine. I don't know if I want to be bothered. But it's still a thought.
Old 12-16-2006, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by PTE
Humm 16 horsepower? All I can say is my car likes that Atlanta cool air. That day it was 54* and very low humidity. They ran about 30 cars through the dyno. Some guys felt their numbers were low, and others like myself were right proud of what it showed. The only changes I had made between dyno runs (FLA versus GA) I did some work on the inlet elbow just above the throttle body where the mass air flow sensor, resides. Hard to believe that got me all 16 horsepower, but it is what it is. Even Noah from AMG said the car sounded right.

I currently finished a Moroso track rental with 14 other cars. This was to be my last test and tune before I prepare the car's engine for some major mods. None of the other 14 cars performed well at this track rental. Almost everybody complained about a loss of 3 - 4 mph and 4/10ths of a second increase over their best known 1/4 mile times. There was a 12 - 15 mpr headwind, it was overcast all day long (no oxygen in the air), the sunlight never shown to heat up the track, they had to apply VHT adhesive twice just to get us to hookup.
But we all had fun heating up our tires and trying. Oh well so much for the standard.
.............This is incredible when you consider that you have bettered what AMG was able to do with E63 and CLS63 without using forced induction. I really think that you are going about it the right ay by first modifying the car to the max then adding s/c last. Your car is already a beast. Congrats! You have a pm.

Ted