CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Any Kleemann CLK55 dyno numbers?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 11:12 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Any Kleemann CLK55 dyno numbers?

I know theres a few Kleemann s/c CLK55 owners out there. DO any of you have dyno numbers or 1/4 mile times? Im am seriously considering a kleemann s/c CLK55.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
00 KLEEMANN CLK 430 - 02 KLEEMANN CLK55 - 88 Euro / Jap AMG 560 SEC Widebody
Benzz - DO IT!!!!

This is dyno from MB Autowerks Kleemann CLK55 off of their old website.

Old 05-18-2006, 11:47 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by lowphat
Benzz - DO IT!!!!

This is dyno from MB Autowerks Kleemann CLK55 off of their old website.
Hmmm, Impressive numbers but still not at where Kleemann claims (550hp at the crank). That dyno looks more like 500hp to the crank. Im working on a deal for the kleemann s/c right now. Then Im gonna have to find a buyer for my car and then get a 55. Hopefully by the end of the summer I will have it. Im doing it in that order cuz if I dont find abuyer for my 430 then I will just slap the s/c on my 430!
Old 05-18-2006, 11:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 GL450, 2009 G55 Mocha Black with Cognac Interior, 08 911 Turbo Cab, 08 CLK63 Black Series
At the crank is a hard number to calculate. There are ways but its really hard to say for certain. Also, cars vary somewhat in the hp they have stock, my had 295whp stock, quite a bit more than what you see in the graph above.

L.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:55 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by Learso
At the crank is a hard number to calculate. There are ways but its really hard to say for certain. Also, cars vary somewhat in the hp they have stock, my had 295whp stock, quite a bit more than what you see in the graph above.

L.
I agree that its difficult to calculate crank hp but I was giving a very generous 20% drivetrain loss. You're gonna dyno after you get your s/c right? Could you please post your results? Thanks.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:14 PM

2009 GL450, 2009 G55 Mocha Black with Cognac Interior, 08 911 Turbo Cab, 08 CLK63 Black Series
Absolutely, but keep in mind that I have a few mods now so the numbers will be skewed. The bottom line is that Kleemann, as thoroughly reviewed and tested on this board among others, seems to be the best bang for your buck and have the better customer service of all the major tuners. My biggest worries where that the car would be excessively strained under all this power and therefore breakdown later on as a result. Having spoken to several experts I now feel more than comfortable with going forward. Look at Renntech and Brabus and see what HP they give you for the cost, you will find Kleemann to be the better of the three.

L.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Absolutely, but keep in mind that I have a few mods now so the numbers will be skewed. The bottom line is that Kleemann, as thoroughly reviewed and tested on this board among others, seems to be the best bang for your buck and have the better customer service of all the major tuners. My biggest worries where that the car would be excessively strained under all this power and therefore breakdown later on as a result. Having spoken to several experts I now feel more than comfortable with going forward. Look at Renntech and Brabus and see what HP they give you for the cost, you will find Kleemann to be the better of the three.

L.
I agree with you 100%. We have track days here in MD from time to time where we rent out Capitol Raceway and ive seen what the different tuners can do. I have been very impressed with Kleemann's work which is why I didnt mention any other tuners. I have seen Kleemann W211 E55's, CLS55, and CL55 run the 1/4. I have also seen renntech E55, evosport E55, renntech C32 and some others. Afetr talking to some of the owners of these cars and their experience with Cory I ruled out every other tuner. Im just a little worried because all the previously mentioned cars that I've seen run came with s/c from the factory and kleemann just added headers, ECU tune, and pulley (and maybe even a high flow water pump). I have yet to seen a kleemann add on s/c perform which is why Im asking this forum for their results. I know lowphat well and I know he is happy with his kleemann s/c, just wante dto get some opinions on the 55 s/c.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:37 PM

They offer a 1 year warranty. I think based on their history here on this board I can feel good with the s/c.

I just got my backordered issue of Mercedes Enthusiast March 2004 featuring the W208 and the W209 with Kleemann S/Cs...I recommend it to anyone interested. Cool article.

L.

Last edited by Learso; 05-18-2006 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CLK 430
My biggest worries where that the car would be excessively strained under all this power and therefore breakdown later on as a result. Having spoken to several experts I now feel more than comfortable with going forward.

L.
Could you reveal the qualifications of these people and your interpretation of what they said in a little bit more detail?
Old 05-19-2006, 04:24 AM

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupé

I just got my backordered issue of Mercedes Enthusiast March 2004 featuring the W208 and the W209 with Kleemann S/Cs...I recommend it to anyone interested. Cool article.

L.
I believe this is among the articles Kleemann has posted on their web site. On my computer screen the smaller print of the article was hard to read ; I think it said the Kleemann works add 50 kilos to the car's weight. So that's one drawback. I am also wondering if Kleemann is minimising the impact on background fuel economy when they say to expect a change of 1 mpg on a mixed run and maybe no difference on a highway cruise. Can someone make a real world observation?

Still, these are quibbles compared to 200 extra pounds of low end torque. Yesterday in a review of the new E class 63 AMG on MSN's UK website, the journalist said the new motor has a great sound but that he missed the low end torque of the 55K. It's that abundance of torque that vaults the car into the stupid fast (or "comfort power") category. Plus the Kleemann set up looks technically superior to AMG's 55K engine: boost is significantly lower yet output slightly higher. Any rebuttal from the AMG groupies among us?
Old 05-19-2006, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by wnycec
Could you reveal the qualifications of these people and your interpretation of what they said in a little bit more detail?
It comes down to finding people who have years of experience in with MBs as well as other highend cars. I live in Boston and the dealer I bought all three of my Mercedes from is the largest privately own dealer in the country. I have made good friends with the services department and they have connected me with the best of their technicians to answer questions regarding my upgrade intentions. Of course I can not mention their names as I am sure they would prefer to remain unnamed but two master MB techs both basically said that the W208 CLK55 was overbuilt (you hear this over and over) and they could not see it having an issue handling the 200+ hp increase. See, my questions to them were soley based on what they thought of the construction, not the Kleemann supercharger quality or method as this is not their specialty, and find out if the car could be overstressed with nearly 600hp Kleemann could plant under the hood. Both techs said they could not see it happening. I have also been told that they RARELY have seen engine problems with CLK55 (actually they both only had seen 1 issue combined come up since the W208 55 came out) and that it was abolutely their favorite engine. Again, I am paraphrasing but it what they got across to me.

The other people I talked to where tuners and race car techs, all over the country and europe via email and phone but mainly at KTR Performance in Ayer, MA. This place is like an auto buffs wet dream inside. Their huge shop consistantly houses millions of dollars in the highest end classics from the early years to today as well as modern cars they tune up for clients. These people don't just get parts and replace the old onces, they take entire race cars totally apart and put them back together again on a daily basis, cars like F40s, Ferrari GTOs, Lambos, and anything else you can name...the best of the best. Although they do mostly classic restoration and race preparation they are completely capable of doing Kleemann type of tuning upgrades and are now getting more into this sort of business because of its new found popularity in the marketplace. The techs at KTR that I spoke to like the design and construction of the Kleemann products and basically said that the fits were very straight forward and easy to install.

Kleemann above all, specially Cory at Kleemann, is known for great feed back and customer service. He too reads these forums regularly and I think he is aware of what is riding on his product and service reliability. I think unlike Brabus and Renntech, Kleemann stands ready by the phone to help with installations and customer issues and that, along with the huge HP gains it has proven it can deliver, sold me. Issues will occur regardless of the skill of the labor or the quality of the products, what happens then is the real test of a good tuning company IMO. I don't think any high-end MB tuner would be selling crap that was flawed or did not deliver, they would not be in business too long; the after service is the key. The other reason I am getting these tunings now is because Kleemann now has some good years installing and tweaking their supercharges and other products specifically to my W208 model. Their rep is excellent on these type of forums and that in itself, among avid MB lovers and owners, is a huge piece of mind for me.

L.

Last edited by Learso; 05-19-2006 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:09 AM
Out Of Control!

Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Hmmm, Impressive numbers but still not at where Kleemann claims (550hp at the crank). That dyno looks more like 500hp to the crank. Im working on a deal for the kleemann s/c right now. Then Im gonna have to find a buyer for my car and then get a 55. Hopefully by the end of the summer I will have it. Im doing it in that order cuz if I dont find abuyer for my 430 then I will just slap the s/c on my 430!
It's because the only mod on that dyno is the s/c by itself. Once you start adding headers, downpipes, cams and ecu then you'll be around 550+hp! Also be prepared to plunk down some serious $$$$. Also if you do decide to get those make sure you get an LSD. It'll only help.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:11 AM

2005 CLK55
both basically said that the CLK55 was overbuilt (you hear this over and over) and they could not see it having an issue handling the 200+ hp increase.
Hi Learso, very nice write up but I am not sure if I agree with this statement. One of the most common problems for w209 CLK55 is the break light on the trunk lip cracking/breaking under acceleration. Mine broke once, and dont drive very aggresive at all. I have heard people on this board having this problem multiple times. Obviously w209 body is not rigid enough to handle the OEM hp, I cant imagine the problems with an extra +200hp.

Now you might be talking about w208 that is a different story.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:15 AM

Sorry Scrapes, I was only speaking of the W208, I know very little of the W209. I will edit it.

L.

Last edited by Learso; 05-19-2006 at 10:29 AM.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:20 AM

2005 CLK55
I had W208 320, my first MB. I was skeptical to buy an MB after DiamlerChrysler purchase so I leased it. I loved that car especially the agressive look of the back of the car.

It was a hands down decision for the new MB. Hopefully next car will be SL65 ;-)
Old 05-19-2006, 10:29 AM

Having said that though, a tail light IMO does not come into play here. Overbuilt does not refer to such problems. That may be a bad design issue that needs to be address by MB but the drive train and engine is what I am refering. From the engine itself and the route that energy travels to the wheels. My coffee spills every time I punch my gas because the coffee cup holder is poorly designed; these things IMO are a different problem altoghther.

If anyone on this board driving a W208 has issues with their engine or drivetrains I would be pleased to learn about them.

Learso

----
Scrapes55,

You should consider getting this issue taken care of by MB. At least bring it up with MB in a formal way, cranking tail lights would certainly be a design flaw that needs to be corrected IMO.

L.

Last edited by Learso; 05-19-2006 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
00 KLEEMANN CLK 430 - 02 KLEEMANN CLK55 - 88 Euro / Jap AMG 560 SEC Widebody
I've put over 40,000 miles on my Kleemann blower and on all of the other mods listed in my sig. - other than the Kleemann s/c water pump issue that has since been resolved by Kleemann's re-design the system has been trouble free and invisible until the go pedal is pressed. Also, my 208 is a 430 - to the extent that the AMG 55 engine and drivetrain is even more overbuilt than the "standard" Mercedes 430 engine and drivetrain, you'd be even better off.

To the member with the gas mileage question - I average around 15,000 miles per year on my 208 - it's probably about 50/50 city/highway - for what it's worth, the "Since Reset" MPG screen on my dashboard display usually reads 19.8 MPG. I would characterize my driving style as moderate but with at least four or five WOT nuclear events per-day.

I would definitely recommend Kleemann to anyone - whether it's a question of reliability or performance.... my 2 cents.