CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

AMG Quad Exhaust Upgrade for W209 CLK55 Cabrio

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-04-2006, 08:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 CLK55, IWC CLS55 AMG(one of 55), 07 Honda CR-V 4WD
Originally Posted by Simon @ evosport
Not yet. The customer has not had the chance to bring the car back yet. As soon as he does, I will let you know! Did you get the pullies?
Yes I received them. Thank you. I am still waiting for your quad exhaust setup. Let me know when you can. Thanks.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mymbonline
$4500 for a "fake' exhaust, whats the point?
a decent muffler shop can do that for less than a g
Old 08-04-2006, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by AMG_55
If that is the case, can you sell "a fake exhaust" made by a decent muffler shop with 2Gs and send it to me with AMG tips? That would be a bargain to me. ^^;;
Old 08-04-2006, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by JLee81
If that is the case, can you sell "a fake exhaust" made by a decent muffler shop with 2Gs and send it to me with AMG tips? That would be a bargain to me. ^^;;

they would need your car.
my exhaust isnt stock so i cant use my car, i would love to make a quick grand

your car sounds very nice from what it says in your sig
good luck
Old 08-07-2006, 12:35 PM
PREMIER SPONSOR

By your words, you obviously seem to be confused so allow me a minute to enlighten you. First, I would suggest you go back and re-read the post so you can understand exactly what was provided with this setup. If you can find me a muffler shop that can do this EXACT mod for less than a grand, please send me the info ASAP! Material alone was more than that. This is a one off modification for a customer who wanted as close to the true look of a factory quad setup w/o having to modify the undercarriage to fit another muffler. You really have to see the mod in person to appreciate the work that was done. Full stainless, mandrel bent, adjustable center bracket, TIG welded, factory tips, modification of factory muffler, factory rear diffuser, modified rear bumper, etc. Can this job be done for less...perhaps but certainly not as you have implied. But like with anything, you usual sacrifice something when lowering cost. Further, if I can reword what you were implying by your "fake" comment to clarify for the group...what AMG_55 was attempting to say was that this not a true dual muffler setup...correct. That would cost much more on this car given you would need to modify the spare tire well, amongst other things to make another AMG muffler fit on the opposing side. But it's still a very functional system and there is nothing "fake" about it as you suggested. "Fake" would mean we stuck two tips on the other side without attaching them to the exhaust system, which is obviously not the case. The system looks and sounds amazing! As I said, pictures don't do this justice.

I would apologize for my condescending tone, but you certainly could have worded your confusion (err criticism) in a much more constructive manner. But you chose not too and were obviously very much aware of your word choice. Posting just to post does nothing for the community but take up bandwidth. Please do your homework next time before shooting from the hip with information you obviously are unaware of. To that, I do hope that I have provided some enlightenment and mitigated some of your confusion.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:51 PM

By your words, you obviously seem to be confused so allow me a minute to enlighten you. First, I would suggest you go back and re-read the post so you can understand exactly what was provided with this setup. If you can find me a muffler shop that can do this EXACT mod for less than a grand, please send me the info ASAP! Material alone was more than that. This is a one off modification for a customer who wanted as close to the true look of a factory quad setup w/o having to modify the undercarriage to fit another muffler. You really have to see the mod in person to appreciate the work that was done. Full stainless, mandrel bent, adjustable center bracket, TIG welded, factory tips, modification of factory muffler, factory rear diffuser, modified rear bumper, etc. Can this job be done for less...perhaps but certainly not as you have implied. But like with anything, you usual sacrifice something when lowering cost. Further, if I can reword what you were implying by your "fake" comment to clarify for the group...what AMG_55 was attempting to say was that this not a true dual muffler setup...correct. That would cost much more on this car given you would need to modify the spare tire well, amongst other things to make another AMG muffler fit on the opposing side. But it's still a very functional system and there is nothing "fake" about it as you suggested. "Fake" would mean we stuck two tips on the other side without attaching them to the exhaust system, which is obviously not the case. The system looks and sounds amazing! As I said, pictures don't do this justice.

I would apologize for my condescending tone, but you certainly could have worded your confusion (err criticism) in a much more constructive manner. But you chose not too and were obviously very much aware of your word choice. Posting just to post does nothing for the community but take up bandwidth. Please do your homework next time before shooting from the hip with information you obviously are unaware of. To that, I do hope that I have provided some enlightenment and mitigated some of your confusion.
So, Simon.. Just let me know when you get it done. The bumper cutting and installation will take place on my side. I know a shop that can do it for my car. When you can give me a true final price on the kit, please send me a PM
Old 08-07-2006, 01:17 PM
PREMIER SPONSOR

So, Simon.. Just let me know when you get it done. The bumper cutting and installation will take place on my side. I know a shop that can do it for my car. When you can give me a true final price on the kit, please send me a PM
You got it!
Old 08-07-2006, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML63
Thought I would chime in here.. I am currently working on a similar project. While this one looks nice, I am going a few steps further..

Here is a link to my thread.. I will be updating with my progress this week. (Still waiting on a heat shield special ordered from Germany)

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ht=c55+exhaust

So instead of doing the "fake" system (just quoting the other poster) with one muffler and a piggy back system, I am actually adding an entire C55 exhaust (both exhausts) and modifying the spare tire tub with one from a CLK55 (which happens to be the same as a c55).

The additional cost was about $300 for the tub, and $200 for both heat shields.. plus a muffler hanger $30.. and epoxy for to secure the tub $89.

You will be able to clearly see both mufflers under the car.. I estimate my entire project will cost less than $1500 including labor (got an excellent deal on the exhaust) and about 25% off parts from the dealer..
Old 08-07-2006, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by amgmark
Thought I would chime in here.. I am currently working on a similar project. While this one looks nice, I am going a few steps further..

Here is a link to my thread.. I will be updating with my progress this week. (Still waiting on a heat shield special ordered from Germany)

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ht=c55+exhaust

So instead of doing the "fake" system (just quoting the other poster) with one muffler and a piggy back system, I am actually adding an entire C55 exhaust (both exhausts) and modifying the spare tire tub with one from a CLK55 (which happens to be the same as a c55).

The additional cost was about $300 for the tub, and $200 for both heat shields.. plus a muffler hanger $30.. and epoxy for to secure the tub $89.

You will be able to clearly see both mufflers under the car.. I estimate my entire project will cost less than $1500 including labor (got an excellent deal on the exhaust) and about 25% off parts from the dealer..

thats the proper way to do it , and its less than 4500
Old 08-07-2006, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63
Trust me, it's loud enough right now with the resonators still in it!

The customer was VERY particular and wanted everything perfect and as stock looking as possible. You can't see it in the pics, but we even molded the bumper where we cut so it folds up at the edges to look exactly like the other side and painted the lower half. The job was roughly $4,500 for parts and labor. Unless you can find the right tips, you will most likely have to purchase a complete muffler to obtain them. We can ship parts out to you (rear dual insert, muffler, stainless tubing, correct bends, flanges, hardware, etc.) if you have a shop that can perform the install, but we would prefer the car to be sent to us. We are working on potentially putting a complete system together (welded and ready to be bolted on) as we've received much interest in this over the last week. I have to admit, it looks even better in person and it sounds awesome!
Whoa.. I just noticed the price tag.. $4500? Couldn't you have added an extra muffler for that cost? (sounds like you cut up a new one anyways) Damn. an entire AMG dual exhaust new is like $1700.. + tub and misc parts it still seems under $4500 with labor.. I can't see how adding a piggy back is worth $4500.. that just seems

Sorry to rain on this conversion.. I wouldn't pay more than like $500 for this.. If your customer wanted everything as stock looking as possible he should have just bought another muffler and changed out the spare tire tub.. JMHO..

Last edited by amgmark; 08-07-2006 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:33 PM
Out Of Control!

Originally Posted by amgmark
Sorry to rain on this conversion.. I wouldn't pay more than like $500 for this.. If your customer wanted everything as stock looking as possible he should have just bought another muffler and changed out the spare tire tub.. JMHO..
It's the quality of the job that makes it expensive. Yes you can probably get this type of job elsewhere but don't think it'll be this kind of quality. If i were to do something like that it'll most likely go with Evosport.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63
Originally Posted by JamE55
It's the quality of the job that makes it expensive. Yes you can probably get this type of job elsewhere but don't think it'll be this kind of quality. If i were to do something like that it'll most likely go with Evosport.
Yes, I am sure the quality is superior to a chain Muffler shop.. I don't have to worry about the quality of my conversion since I am using 100% AMG parts..
Old 08-07-2006, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
i dont get why every1 is trippin on the quality, its under the car, u cant see it. as long as there are no exhaust leaks and everything is aligned properly there should be no problem.
i would rather pay 4000 less and have a system that lasts for 3years rather than 30.

fake exhaust or a set of wheels, huh, let me think about it

btw,
its still fake even though its functional, those tips are unnecessary.

my cousin did that to his clk500 (clk209 pic thread, under my name, worth a look) and it cost him about $500 for materials and labor (he supplied 2 sets of tips and a muffler about $300)
and it looks perfect from the outside.
i used the same muffler shop to put my muffler and tips on and i have the same piping, no problem after 3 years
Old 08-07-2006, 06:49 PM

Ok. Now that I read how much it costs to get the AMG Quad Setup... Hmmm.
All I need to get is the Quad and a Spare Tire Cover. And I can do the installation within US$1000. I think I need to reconsider... right?
Old 08-07-2006, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Ok. Now that I read how much it costs to get the AMG Quad Setup... Hmmm.
All I need to get is the Quad and a Spare Tire Cover. And I can do the installation within US$1000. I think I need to reconsider... right?

do u really need to ask us if u should reconsider?
Old 08-07-2006, 09:11 PM
PREMIER SPONSOR

its still fake even though its functional, those tips are unnecessary.
Huh?? Are you really that ignorant? (bite my tongue)

Folks, a few of you here are missing the point completely. We did exactly what the customer wanted done to his car. He did NOT want to modify the spare tire well, he did NOT want to add another muffler. The customer was VERY meticulous and specific as to what he wanted done. Can this be done for less? I'm sure it can. But again, someone suggested less than $1,000 and to that I laugh. I was sharing with you what this project costs to complete. If you can do it for less in your garage, more power to you! We are a business and need to be profitable. Our labor rate is $105/hr and yes we are that good. What your cousin or neighbor did in his/her garage or with the muffler shop down the street is not really very relevant here. As an example, most muffler shops use aluminized steel rather than the much more expensive mandrel bent stainless, so that has an effect on overall pricing as well.

Also, fyi a C32/C55 muffler is NOT the same as a CLK55 muffler.

More so, if you're going to post or even criticize, please do so in a CONSTRUCTIVE manner so we can all benefit from your comments.

Last edited by Mr. Vanos; 08-08-2006 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63
FWIW.. I meant no disrespect to you Simon or to Evosport. I also realize that a c32/55 exhaust is different but they are designed very similar. If I am wrong please let me know..

If a customer came to me asking for a quad set up. I would counsel them on replacing the exhaust from the resonator back to the muffler and give them a true dual/quad exhaust, rather than a catback.

I would recommend that they replace the spare tub and buy the heat sheilds. ($500 total) The only difference in the under carrage to my knowledge is the spare tub. Otherwise the dual exhaust is an easy bolt on with one possible weld between the resonator and the pipe from the cats..

I would much rather pay for the AMG exhaust than pay you for the hours of labor and steel you used to construct this system. This is my opinion..

Since I don't know your customer or the situation behind this mod, was your customer aware how simple this conversion could be? I know you are in business to make money.. So did you mention this to said customer or did you just calculate the price?

Total of my project retail:

$1800 for the exhaust (Includes both sides of the C55 exhaust up to the resonator. I cannot reuse the C32 muffler as it will no longer fit)
$550 for the spare tub, both heat shields, and right side muffler hanger
$300-400 labor and this is even pushing it. It will most likey be less.. Everything will basically bolt right on!!

Total = $2750

Your project doesn't seem to include any Mercedes parts besides the tips where you cut up a new?? right side muffler. So I have to estimate that the muffler cost about $900.. which is way too expensive for muffler tips in my opinion. Since I don't know how much the tubing and other parts cost I will estimate $500? So that leaves about 30 hours of labor?

Total $4500

I am using a custom racing muffler shop used by Race Legal folks here in San Diego, not my cousin, a buddy or my own garage..

BTW, the work your shop did does look incredible, I do not dispute that. My only issue with this project is the overwhelming cost just to piggy back another set of tips.. but I guess if you have the money to spend..

Thanks..
Old 08-18-2006, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Founder

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 GT R Pro, 2019 GT3 RS, 2018 GT3 Touring
Again, regardless of what other options were available and we did review them all, this is what the customer wanted...end of story. We provided him with exactly what the scope of the project called for and he was more than satisfied with the results. We also did a lot more work that you don't see in the pics as part of the labor. So making assumptions and jumping to conclusions is probably not a way to make a fair, unbiased assesment. My objective here was not to try to justify the price, but since the can was opened... This post was to show the results of a project we had completed. Sad to say, most people here don't keep a perspective that to run a successful business, you need to be profitable. We can't do that by selling things at cost or low margin. We provide a high-end service. Anything can be had or done for less if your objective is low cost. This is not the business we're in, nor are we in the business overcharging for those same services. Our business model is built around providing value for the dollar. We are certainly not the most expensive, nor are we the least. The results speak for themselves.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL500
looks good and all the more power to you guys for getting 4500 for the job
Old 09-01-2006, 09:20 PM

01 clk55 cpe
Isn't this a great forum.....or what!!!!!!

Very well debated, by ALL
Old 09-02-2006, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 M113K
sounds insane
Old 09-03-2006, 12:11 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
'21 GLC63, '19 M5
I think the price is a bit steep for my wallet... but it looks like a clean job, and it sounds great!

Any of you guys have suggestions on where I can get that sounds without going this expensive route?
Old 09-03-2006, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63
I noticed in video three that dude has a temp spare wheel on the right front.. LOL.. homie can spend $4500 on an exhaust but drives around on a spare..

Sorry.. couldn't help it.. hehe