CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

OK, So no such thing as cheap HP ....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2007 | 08:42 PM

'02 CLK55
OK, So no such thing as cheap HP ....

I understand that there is no such thing as an Ebay 200.00 40hp bolt on. If you were looking for a bump in power for buck what would you do?

Say for:
$300
$500
$900
$1500
$2500
Old 02-21-2007 | 09:32 PM

You have to save for a supercharger, which is like 8,000$. The only other thing you can do to significantly increase the performance of a NA engine is headers + cats + larger TB + freer flowing intake + ecu, which is around 35-40hp and ~5,000$. Nothing cheaper will bump your power. If you get something like a muffler and an ECU, you won't feel any difference and maybe gain like 10hp max (can even lose hp depending on a muffler).
Old 02-21-2007 | 09:36 PM

'02 CLK55
Originally Posted by Tuskir
You have to save for a supercharger, which is like 8,000$. The only other thing you can do to significantly increase the performance of a NA engine is headers + cats + larger TB + freer flowing intake + ecu, which is around 35-40hp and ~5,000$. Nothing cheaper will bump your power. If you get something like a muffler and an ECU, you won't feel any difference and maybe gain like 10hp max (can even lose hp depending on a muffler).
so when they say 30hp bump with ecu they are blowing blue smoke out my pipe?
Old 02-21-2007 | 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Zoom On
so when they say 30hp bump with ecu they are blowing blue smoke out my pipe?
I haven't seen any companies claim such gains for ECU flash... its definitely unrealistic on a NA car. For your car, Renntech claims a 10hp gain just for the ECU (www.renntechmercedes.com , click on tuning products). I would say that even that is very optimistic, I believe their ratings are based on 93 octane w/ flash so if you are using 91 octane you will get like 5hp lol. Even 10hp you wont feel, so why bother?
Old 02-21-2007 | 09:51 PM

Ah, the eternal question. A question to ask is why you want the power? Are you looking for more grunt off the line at stoplights? Track-day power? Bragging rights? Below are some thoughts based on my personal experience, running a Super Stock class Viper for 2 seasons that I also drove around a bit and occassionally took to the drag strip:

1. Fix the nut behind the wheel: $500 for a 1-day driving school and then a few $200 follow-up track days will do wonders for your driving skills and overall driving enjoyment. Plus, AMG spends a great deal of time and money (*way* more than Lorinser or Brabus) in designing your car to deliver performance, handling, and quality. When you start to mess with this, you will need to accept that you may gain in one area but lose in another.

If you must add performance mods:

2. Make the car breath better. Cold air intakes and high-flow air filters will get more air into the motor and deliver more power, usually. Do not, however, believe even a reputable manufacturer's claims - you'll get a few HP, it'll cost you a few bucks. Remember that a higher flow filter will generally let in more particulates to the motor (there are no free rides), which in the long term could be bad for your motor. Also, they can be noisier than stock.

3. Exhaust mods - you can upgrade to high-flow catalytic converters which will tend to run cooler, flow better, and may even get better mileage for around $500 for a good pair plus labor. Downside is you may not be emmissions-legal in some states depending on how you do it.

4. The AMG exhaust is pretty good, but a good aftermarket exhaust upgrade can cost $1500 - $3000 and deliver some additional power (15-20HP, in my experience)

5. ECU Upgrade - fixing the software I've seen advertised for $799 in this forum - typically ECU upgrades deliver the most power on turbocharged motors, but they are claiming a good gain on the 5.5L V-8 across the power band. I don't have any experience with this, but a friend used one on his turbocharged Audi A4 and the higher boost pressure burned up the motor fast.

6. Nitrous - want to impress ricers when hanging out with your buds at the local A&W? Nothing says "Phallic Prop" like NAAWWZZ, dude. Seriously though, a nitrous system is the biggest bang-per-buck for horsepower, as long as you only want it at wide open throttle and don't mind refilling your bottle ever 10 runs or so. On the downside, I think the nitrous system in my Viper contributed to me grenading the motor during a track day, and I personally saw a friend blow a Viper motor due to Nitrous due to a shoddy install. So, if you want one, go to a very reputable tuner who has done some installs on Europeans before, preferably on your make and model before. Make sure that the shop is spotless, and ask them to show you photos of previous installs (don't take their word that they've done tons of them before). Source all parts and labor from them, so if something goes wrong nobody can play a blame game. Then, after you get a dyno pass done and show the HP, never ever use it again. A wet nitrous system (sprays Nitrous and fuel together, instead of a nitrous-only "dry" system) can probably be safely jetted to around 150-200 HP in the big AMG motor, for maybe $2000 installed.

Whew, long post. Maybe to simplify, I'd answer your question differently. If I had $2K-$4K to spend on performance, here's how I'd do it in several situations:

A. Track Days: Very good helmet, neck roll, 5-point harness, stainless brake lines, Motul brake fluid, torque wrench for wheels, high-performance brake pads.

B. Drag racing: Buy a camaro

C. Street/daily driving: Exhaust upgrade for the sound, maybe ECU reprogramming

D. Bragging rights: Lowered w/ wheels, Nitrous system in trunk with extra-pretty install, purge valve aimed at passers-by, and a big red "I have nitrous" switch that everyone can see in the cab.
Old 02-21-2007 | 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R35 GT-R, EvoX
Yeah, sorry to break it to you but you won't see any huge gains in hp without spending huge amounts of $.

Supercharger seems like the only real way to get real solid hp increases.

I got my SpeedTuningUSA ECU upgrade for $300 and I saw some gains in hp and tq. Exhausts and Green Filters will give you an increase as well.

Nitrous Oxide is the best bang for the buck performance gain. Go for it if you have the *****. $2000 for 50-125hp (depends) at the press of a button. Plus, like the other guy said its great bragging rights lol.
Old 02-21-2007 | 10:47 PM

Nitrous is risky though, I wouldn't do it. If its not properly installed and tuned, you risk damaging your engine.
Old 02-21-2007 | 11:29 PM

'02 CLK55
Na would not do NOS just don't like the thought of kaboom. As for the track well I get my kicks at 140mph 3/4" off the ground doing 3g+ in the corners. Karting (don't even use the word go-kart) is the best form of racing. I don't see why people would want to mess with this engine as it is so smooth and sounds so good. But one has to ask, cuz if you stop wondering you stop living.
Nationals:

Cali Speed track in fontana Top speed on some cars 175MPH
Old 02-22-2007 | 03:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Get the kleemann s/c, headers, ECU tune, and LSD. It should feed the hunger. You wont get anything worthwhile other than that. Maybe port and polish the heads or something.
Old 02-22-2007 | 03:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

It's hard to make N/A cars fast(er).
You'll have to go forced induction like everyone else has said.
Old 02-22-2007 | 11:05 PM

W208 CLK55
N/A only

I will also be looking for some performance upgrades in the near future. It'll be a couple months but I'm already drooling over stuff like the carbon fiber hood and/or trunk group buy etc. I was wondering what kind of gains one could achieve without blowing the motor. Maybe one day, but for a daily driver I don't think I need (or want for that matter) 450+ hp. I need my 55 to get me to school on time and I have some apprehensions about what a $15k charger will do to gas mileage and reliability. Either way, how much do you suppose can be gained without seriously wearing/breaking something? Say intake, exhaust, ECU, cam, headers/port/polish, other ideas, etc etc. Maybe break 400 hp? $5k probably wouldn't be too much to spend right? Also curious about preferred tuner companies. I'm sure you guys have preferences among Brabus, Kleeman, Renntech and whatnot but maybe you like certain products from each? Maybe I'll pose more specific questions later but sheesh, I still haven't created an avatar or anything, I've just been lurking nonstop since I got the car. I love it too. I didn't think I'd find forums and fans as zealous as the 8-series community but I guess I was wrong.
Old 02-22-2007 | 11:09 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by cleanslate
I will also be looking for some performance upgrades in the near future. It'll be a couple months but I'm already drooling over stuff like the carbon fiber hood and/or trunk group buy etc. I was wondering what kind of gains one could achieve without blowing the motor. Maybe one day, but for a daily driver I don't think I need (or want for that matter) 450+ hp. I need my 55 to get me to school on time and I have some apprehensions about what a $15k charger will do to gas mileage and reliability. Either way, how much do you suppose can be gained without seriously wearing/breaking something? Say intake, exhaust, ECU, cam, headers/port/polish, other ideas, etc etc. Maybe break 400 hp? $5k probably wouldn't be too much to spend right? Also curious about preferred tuner companies. I'm sure you guys have preferences among Brabus, Kleeman, Renntech and whatnot but maybe you like certain products from each? Maybe I'll pose more specific questions later but sheesh, I still haven't created an avatar or anything, I've just been lurking nonstop since I got the car. I love it too. I didn't think I'd find forums and fans as zealous as the 8-series community but I guess I was wrong.
Dont worry about gas mileage with the charger. I have the s/c, headers, ECU tune, and LSD from Kleemann (also have eisenmann race exhuast and custom front mount) and over the past 1000 miles I averaged 18.4mpg! Of course if you keep your foot to the floor it will drink gas. In terms of reliability, I have not had a single problem and the car drives like a stock 55 when you want it to. This will soon be my daily driver
Old 02-23-2007 | 01:22 PM
Almost a Member!

175mph in one of those? Huevos grandes, my friend.
Old 02-23-2007 | 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by eleven11
+1

ive done close to 75 in a kart and that was

i wouldnt say no if you offered though
pretty please
Old 02-23-2007 | 09:33 PM

All of them!
If horsepower was cheap, everyone would have it and nobody would have any respect for it. So I'l keep it all for myself. lol
Rich
Old 02-23-2007 | 09:39 PM

'02 CLK55
Originally Posted by eleven11
yeah 175 is crazy but once you are going you really don't even notice, it is all a blurr and you just see the dashed lines and the guy your drafting. Like I said though the class I run we top at 140.

Guess that is your cheap horsepower. Heck we are only pushin 40hp...lol
Old 02-23-2007 | 10:05 PM
Out Of Control!

Originally Posted by Zoom On
If you were looking for a bump in power for buck what would you do?
I'd go for anyone of these...

Mickey D's dollar menu. Should do the trick. It'll give you power going through your veins.
Old 02-24-2007 | 07:02 PM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey blackbenzz what does your klemman kit consist of?? I called them once and tried to get some info the guy I spoke to kinda made it sound like a hokey disco setup. I have heard nothing but good stuff but he said that he just increased the fuel pressure for the additional delivery. I did that on another very simular setup and it ended up frying the valves in no time due to starvatoin. I woudl think that bigger injectors woudl be the ticket?

I seem to have read somewhere that the non intercooled kit ahd the injectors whereas the intercoooled kit does not???? that doesn't seem to make sense. I mean it does if the charge is cooler but... Also the lack of the "necessity" for an ecu programming seems kinda hokey as well. I'd greatly appreciate any info you have as I have been considering this for some time.

I have had personal experience with the evo 996 superchargers as well as kenne bell blowers on past vehicles. Thanks Sean
Old 02-25-2007 | 01:00 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by spr
Hey blackbenzz what does your klemman kit consist of?? I called them once and tried to get some info the guy I spoke to kinda made it sound like a hokey disco setup. I have heard nothing but good stuff but he said that he just increased the fuel pressure for the additional delivery. I did that on another very simular setup and it ended up frying the valves in no time due to starvatoin. I woudl think that bigger injectors woudl be the ticket?

I seem to have read somewhere that the non intercooled kit ahd the injectors whereas the intercoooled kit does not???? that doesn't seem to make sense. I mean it does if the charge is cooler but... Also the lack of the "necessity" for an ecu programming seems kinda hokey as well. I'd greatly appreciate any info you have as I have been considering this for some time.

I have had personal experience with the evo 996 superchargers as well as kenne bell blowers on past vehicles. Thanks Sean
What does my kit consist of? Kleemann twinscrew supercharger @ 7 PSI, kleemann headers, kleemann LSD, kleemann ECU tune, custom heat exchanger, and eisenmann race exhaust. Talk to Cory at Kleemann, he's very knowledgeable and helpful. I didnt even know there was a non-intercooled setup
Old 02-26-2007 | 03:15 PM
Banned

Cobra/E55
I suggest having your car tuned for the highest octane in your area, which is usually 93. By simply tuning your car for 91 or 93 octane fuel good power gains will follow. Also, a tune will improve your throttle response, remove your top-speed limiter, and allow your car to take advantage of any other modifications you have.

Just my $0.02
Old 02-27-2007 | 12:15 AM

'02 CLK55
Ok WA we have 87,89 and 92. Is there a 92 setting or is it just 91/93?