CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

CLK55 Mods- Input Please, Need Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 05:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Originally Posted by JerseyCLK55
Thank you all, for your comments- very much appreciated.

Anyone else have comments on RennTECH vs. Kleemann?

Also, anyone know a good shop in NY/NJ?

I've got a lot of reading to do on the forum...
Be prepared to have quite a lot of downtime for either tuner. With the addition of the SC to the car, the ecu has to be tuned several times to accommodate the addition of the new found "horsepower and torque".

Also, you would want a tuner that has a great customer support and customer relations.

just my 2 cents..

Last edited by AdamG@NorCal; 08-12-2007 at 05:16 AM.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupé
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
$25k budget? This is what I would do:

Kleemann supercharger, Kleemann headers, Kleemann ECU tune, Quaife or Kleemann LSD (I have Kleemann and am happy with it but if it goes I will do quaife), and some R compound tires. If you havent reached your budget yet and your only goal is to go fast in a straight line get a bigger heat exchanger and maybe a nice nitrous setup (I'll let you know how mine goes). I pretty much have all those things and more (no nitrous yet) and plan on getting the level ten "bulletproof" transmission (If you're afraid of transmission failure I highly recommend this although it is costly, it will also make your car faster). Right now I'm just deciding whether to do the level ten transmission or the nitrous next
What is "level ten transmission"? What does it do, what does it cost, who does it?
Does the stock NA 208 CLK 55 come with a transmission cooler ? An oil cooler?
Old 08-13-2007, 08:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
I've seen a few Kleeman modded cars at AI Design in Tuckahoe NY. They had a w208 and w209 Kleeman CLK (he popped both hoods, showed me the supercharger, even turned the w209 on and revved it for me). They said they've done a few of them and they like the power and reliability. They also do lots of Brabus work but they said for performance that I'm better off with Kleeman. I couldn't justify the price though so I just said screw it and went with NOS.

With N20, for less than $2,000 you can have 100hp at the push of a button. Plus, you can remove the whole thing easily and without a trace (if you need to sell the car or need warranty work). I'd just throw some rims on it, suspension, N2O, exhaust, and tune and you'll have plenty of power. Then save the rest and go for a Z06, or maybe go for one of the bigger hp MB's.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:45 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by neilbo75
What is "level ten transmission"? What does it do, what does it cost, who does it?
Does the stock NA 208 CLK 55 come with a transmission cooler ? An oil cooler?
Level ten (the companies name www.levelten.com ) claims to build a bulletproof transmission from the ground up along with a torque converter. It costs a little over $5k including your transmission core and whatever labor/shipping is involved. Expensive and I dont think anyone has done it to their benz yet but I know a guy that had it done to his Audi and he swears by it. They do group buys so if we can find enough people to do it that would be great I'm definitely in for one.

I dont know the answer to your other questions
Old 08-13-2007, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R35 GT-R, EvoX
BlackBenzz, the level 10 tranny sounds awesome, but do you really need it for 5g's? There are some V12TT's running around with over 700rwtq and the trannies themselves never seem to have any problems other than electrical or sensor issues. The transmission itself is very strong. And there are dozens of daily driven 55k's with over 500rwtq and I never heard of anyone having an issue with it. Its cool and a good idea, but I don't think its needed or will ever be needed with the levels of power your car makes/will make. These transmissions can take 900+ crank torque easy so I wouldn't recommend this kind of an upgrade. If you really want your tranny worked on, RennTech offers a transmission reinforcement for their Stage II V12TT cars because of the massive torque, I don't think its too much $ but I could be wrong. Its probably much cheaper than a Level 10 tranny and it has been done before so you don't have to be nervous or pay for all the r&d
Old 08-13-2007, 11:13 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by ItalianStallion
BlackBenzz, the level 10 tranny sounds awesome, but do you really need it for 5g's? There are some V12TT's running around with over 700rwtq and the trannies themselves never seem to have any problems other than electrical or sensor issues. The transmission itself is very strong. And there are dozens of daily driven 55k's with over 500rwtq and I never heard of anyone having an issue with it. Its cool and a good idea, but I don't think its needed or will ever be needed with the levels of power your car makes/will make. These transmissions can take 900+ crank torque easy so I wouldn't recommend this kind of an upgrade. If you really want your tranny worked on, RennTech offers a transmission reinforcement for their Stage II V12TT cars because of the massive torque, I don't think its too much $ but I could be wrong. Its probably much cheaper than a Level 10 tranny and it has been done before so you don't have to be nervous or pay for all the r&d
Well my transmission is different than the v12tt and 55k transmissions. I was riding around in my friends CL600 and its a night and day difference compared to my car (especially how fast his car shifts compared to mine). I will contact renntech and see what they offer for my car, thanks. The level ten setup is supposed to put more power to the ground and progressively shift harder with throttle application.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R35 GT-R, EvoX
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Well my transmission is different than the v12tt and 55k transmissions. I was riding around in my friends CL600 and its a night and day difference compared to my car (especially how fast his car shifts compared to mine). I will contact renntech and see what they offer for my car, thanks. The level ten setup is supposed to put more power to the ground and progressively shift harder with throttle application.
Ah, ok, sorry. I thought it was the same transmission.
You ever think about going with a sequential manual transmission or something? I don't think its ever been done before in a Benz but I've seen it in japanese imports. I saw a 1000+hp skyline with a sequential 6 speed...so I'm sure they can be built to handle the power.