CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

What's the Deal With E46 M3 Drivers?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 M3
just saw this thread mentioned on the M forums.

just thought i post a reply.

There is an over generalization on any car no matter what. You all act like there aren't benz drivers out there who think they can take on the world.

I have met a fair share of benz drivers in nyc who think there cars are the greatest, weaving in and out of lanes acting like idiots.

granted that most benz drivers are older, it shows that it seems the older you get some of you still dont mature.

there is a stereotype that goes with every brand, and its unfortanate to see some bmw drivers are idiots as well as benz drivers. i know that for sure as i see them on the road.

i have nothing against benz/amgs, my bro drives a 04 s55, its a great car, whoops my *** in the highway. does that make you guys any better?
Old 09-05-2007, 01:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 S55 AMG
Originally Posted by MercedesFTW
Better than the jerky-I-can't-drive-stick SMG.
Ha Ha.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65
Originally Posted by jkalex05
Ive driven both an SMG and 6MT e46 M3 and both were hella fun to drive!

Ive also driven plenty of Merslushes and AMGs and they really boring...

Probably didn't know about DSC, Sport Mode or the extra bar in the SMG shiftspeed if you did you would've dropped your slushy and got a real car.
Why? So we can be in the rear view mirror of an AMG to?
Old 09-05-2007, 03:35 PM

W209 AMG
Originally Posted by jkalex05
What is the matter with C230 owners? They seem to think they can take anyone. Seriously its funny though. Getting rev'd on by a slush box you guys call a car.

I mean seriously instead of being called Mercedes I think it should be Merslushbox.

Remember RIGHT lane is for the slowpokes and left lane is for the fast ones. So stay in the right lane please.

I agree....c230 owners think theyre fast. Its ridiculous
Old 09-05-2007, 09:26 PM

'03 E55
Originally Posted by 430cruz
The reason I'm pissed off at those guys the most is they were cutting people behind me off left and right. I had the hammer lane wide open for almost a mile before the next clump of traffic congestion. (read: no cars in front of me) As all 3 *******s shot up my right side they each cut in front of me as close to my fender/bumper as possible.......one closer than the other.
Not trying to pick a fight, but if you've got an open mile in front of you and don't slide to the right, I'm doing the same thing to you. It's a 1/2 inch flick of the wrist and a look over your shoulder to change lanes and there's nothing that irritates most people on the road more than slower traffic not moving over.

Additionally, and more importantly, if slower traffic would move to the right lane as faster traffic approached from behind, they would eliminate any need for anyone to weave through traffic and make the roads much safer for everyone no matter what speed people are driving.

I am completely content driving 10-20 over in most areas and am safer and more courteous than 99% of the people out there 95% of the time. However, if you leave me very limited options to pass, I am gonna find a hole and make it happen; always clipping the slow left lane guy as close as possible front and rear to avoid cutting off the innocent drivers in the right lane. If the guy behind you has room to try to sqeeze in a pass, then you definitely have room to slide over and let him by.

Sorry for the rant and no offense intended. Your comments sounded somewhat like my father who is always the 1st guy to yell at someone for not getting over and the last guy to get over himself. Every time we ride together I am constantly having to tell him to get over and let people pass.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Originally Posted by hakaida442
I used to have the same problem with my old MKIV supra. Anyone will want to race because they want to see what your car can do or they want to see how long they can keep up with you. I even had old guys in LS430 wanting to run with me. I have been called out in the gt3 only a few times and at least it was guys with vettes or aston martins.
Whenever I had the F40 out there would always be some knuclehead that would risk life and limb to pull in front of me at traffic lights. They were usually trying to show how fast they were. Looking in the mirror and laughing with their passenger.

My favorite thing to do with these guys was stick pretty close with them as they pull from the light. They would be trying VERY hard to go as fast as they could, and I would just stay with them. As the speed rises, they start checking their mirror, and then the speedo...and then the mirror, and back to the speedo. They wouldn't slow down and it was obvious that they were getting uncomfortable. At that point, I would get into the boost and pass them like they were stopped.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cee Fiddy Five
Im sorry but that banana you call a car cannot beat an M3.
Alrighty whatever helps you sleep at night!
Old 09-05-2007, 11:54 PM

'99 CLK430
Originally Posted by Hazy1
Not trying to pick a fight, but if you've got an open mile in front of you and don't slide to the right, I'm doing the same thing to you. It's a 1/2 inch flick of the wrist and a look over your shoulder to change lanes and there's nothing that irritates most people on the road more than slower traffic not moving over.

Additionally, and more importantly, if slower traffic would move to the right lane as faster traffic approached from behind, they would eliminate any need for anyone to weave through traffic and make the roads much safer for everyone no matter what speed people are driving.

I am completely content driving 10-20 over in most areas and am safer and more courteous than 99% of the people out there 95% of the time. However, if you leave me very limited options to pass, I am gonna find a hole and make it happen; always clipping the slow left lane guy as close as possible front and rear to avoid cutting off the innocent drivers in the right lane. If the guy behind you has room to try to sqeeze in a pass, then you definitely have room to slide over and let him by..
Why is the one driver guilty and the other innocent? Just because the aren't going fast enough for you?

If you have to squeeze in a pass, then you don't really have the room to begin with for a safe pass. Does someone need to get seriously injured so you can get there first or faster?.

Sorry for the rant and no offense intended. Your comments sounded somewhat like my father who is always the 1st guy to yell at someone for not getting over and the last guy to get over himself. Every time we ride together I am constantly having to tell him to get over and let people pass.
Those guys were content driving like fools weaving in and out of traffic through the thickest clusters, while I and the left laners were cruising at the faster pace. When traffic is thick it makes no sense to race through the crowd putting everyone else in danger buy cutting in close to anyone! There is a time and a place for fast driving and the crowded highway is not one of them. This ain't NASCAR........you want to draft and slingshot around join a race team and do it on a closed course or find a desolate road with some of your friends and play hard. (I do it on a course.)

As for the open mile......I have no problem cruising at 90+ if I'm not endangering anyone else. I have moved over quite often for the steady high speed driver. Not so much for the weaver as their driving pattern is too irratic to read. If you don't give me the right lane to move over because you're already taking the offensive position then what should I do? If the lanes in front of us are open why the need to clip my fenders? Only to show a display of bravado. They (referring to the above mentioned BMW's) were just cutting me off to display their gonads. Lucky for them my wife was with me or it would have got ugly. I've had this car at the limiter before and have excellent driving skills so it would have been no problem to take away any inch or so they thought they had and resulted in a BMW yard sale in the grass.

I'm not firing back at you,(really, I'm not!) just the driving Etiquette displayed by too many drivers on public roads. Remember this........No one owns the roads, we all share them. If you want to run the gauntlet in public just beware that someone will someday slap back with the same gauntlet and it may end up leading to a case of road rage. You do not know what the other person is thinking or what state of mind they are in.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:26 AM

e46 ///M3
This thread is so funny and sad at the same time
Old 09-06-2007, 01:31 AM

'03 E55
I know that you're not firing back and all is well, its just my big pet peeve on the road. Every situation is unique and I have definitely intentionally slowed the progress of dangerous/erratic drivers from time to time. We might very well be thinking of two completely different traffic "worlds", as most of my miles are logged in medium-sized cities (under 1 million), and you might easily be describing large-city situations in which traffic density poses no legitimate opportunity for any real gains from speeding (my least favorite places to drive).

As far as most of the comments below, I am not referring to the congested 6+ lane urban interstates/highways where chaos reigns supreme and all respect and consideration goes out the window.

I have mellowed some over the years and usually give the slow left lane guy 2-3 reasonable (and I mean very reasonable) opportunities to slide over or at least 1-2 minutes without any malice or aggression. After that, in most situations it is unreasonable and very inconsiderate and my consideration for his/her right to be on the road goes right out the window.

As far as one driver being guilty and the other innocent, I stand by my statement. Slower traffic is to move to the right, period. And slower means just that, slower. If you are traveling at a speed that is less than the guy behind you, let him go by at your 1st opportunity. You have a net loss of about 1-2 seconds for doing so in most situations. If you are going yy MPH in a xx MPH zone, what right do you have to say, "this speed is plenty fast buddy, you don't need to go any faster." to the guy behind you. If you are in heavy traffic and are not maintaining the same speed as the cars in front of you or leave an unreasonable gap into which other cars from the right lane can move freely into, move over and let others through, period.

The guys in the middle or right lanes can travel at whatever speed they deem appropriate and I will not get the least bit upset even if its 10-20 or more under the limit. I can follow that guy for days and my blood pressure is flat calm. Put that same guy in the left lane and he is a giant, inconsiderate ***** that is usually creating a much larger traffic problem than would otherwise exist. Slower traffic keep right, Slower traffic keep right, Slower traffic keep right. Say it with me. Slower traffic keep right.

Most traffic moves at 5-10 over the limit on surface roads in our area when its not too crowded. Is 5-10 over dangerous, is 10-20 over dangerous. It depends on alot of things, but usually it is completely safe in a properly maintained vehicle if traffic is not heavy and weather/visibilty is good. Most of the police officers in our area travel at 10-20 over the limit when on patrol (just patrol, not responding to a call), with the unmarked guys pushing it up a bit. Are they putting putting anyone's lives at risk. I have also been behind numerous officers traveling at 20-30 over the limit and followed them from a safe distance for many, many miles. Are they endangering anyone? I am still waiting for their excuse for speeding if I ever get pulled over in that situation.

The argument that I hear most often for squatting in the left lane being OK is, "I'm already going 5-10 over the speed limit, that guy behind me doesn't need to go any faster than that". Well, who are they to decide that its OK for them to violate the speed limit a little bit, but its not OK for me to violate it a little bit more. I would guess that less than 1% of the driving poputation follows every traffic law and every traffic rule in every situation every day (we all live in glass houses, just some are faster than others). Those that do are free to judge the rest of us and can lecture us at will.

When is speeding really a safety issue, 1mph over, 30mph over. If speeding was such a heinous crime, then it would be more than just a civil infraction, and as speeds increase, the infractions become criminal (society's way of saying, "OK, that's really too fast"). Additionally, not too many officers will knock off a bank or rape someone (yes, I know it does happen), but I never witness any, and I mean any traveling at the speed limit or under it. They all violate the traffic laws as much or more than the average citizen.

Also, faster traffic has a net effect of lower vehicle use hours overall. If I am on the road 15 minutes by speeding vs. 20-25 minutes by traveling at the speed limit, you have 5-10 minutes less of one vehicle on the road. Multiply that thousands upon thousands of times over for every large city and you will see that faster traffic, if managed properly, will result in less gridlock. Slow drivers in the left lane are responsible for a great deal of traffic gridlock that could otherwise be avoided.

At the end of the day dangerous/reckless driving is not OK and should not be tolerated. I call in every drunk that I see weaving badly and follow them until an officer pulls them over. However, you have no more right to tell me to slow down than I have to tell you to speed up, just move over and let me safely pass so that we can all go on about our business.

Holy Sh#t,

I'm really sorry that it ended up so long.

This is Teddy Kennedy and I approve this message.

Last edited by Hazy1; 09-06-2007 at 01:35 AM.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:20 AM

W209 AMG
Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
Whenever I had the F40 out there would always be some knuclehead that would risk life and limb to pull in front of me at traffic lights. They were usually trying to show how fast they were. Looking in the mirror and laughing with their passenger.

My favorite thing to do with these guys was stick pretty close with them as they pull from the light. They would be trying VERY hard to go as fast as they could, and I would just stay with them. As the speed rises, they start checking their mirror, and then the speedo...and then the mirror, and back to the speedo. They wouldn't slow down and it was obvious that they were getting uncomfortable. At that point, I would get into the boost and pass them like they were stopped.

Hahaha I love doing that to people too. I like to see how fast they are willing to go, especially to cut you off.

Props to M3 and AMG drivers!
Old 09-06-2007, 02:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
damn guys! I only found out about this thread from M3forum and e46fanatics!

can't we all just get along? we all love german cars so shouldn't we all be cool with each other?
Old 09-06-2007, 10:16 AM

CLK 55
Originally Posted by nlpamg
damn guys! I only found out about this thread from M3forum and e46fanatics!

can't we all just get along? we all love german cars so shouldn't we all be cool with each other?
i'm down to share a beer wit some folks, idk bout all the "" tho...hahaha
Old 09-06-2007, 11:54 AM

'99 CLK430
Hazy,
It's all good here! Thanks for not taking my post wrong. I agree with you on "slower, move over!" You're correct on the difference in highways from down there to up in the N.E. corrider. PATPK, NJTPK and I-95 are too heavily conjested most of the day and night to drive with excessive enthusiasm or highly spirited driving.

I also agree with NlpAMG that we as Benz & BMW owners do appreciate our German engineered autos and should show a mutual respect on the roads. Both brands bring much to the table and like music, one type stirs the soul of each individual to a greater degree than another type. Hence I should not take my jazz and shove it down the throat of Mr. Rock & Roll claiming it's better in any way.......Ooops, did I just say that out loud?......Totally kidding!
Old 09-06-2007, 12:47 PM

'03 E55
Your jazz comes near my throat and its getting bitten off.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Old 09-06-2007, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203, W211, W219, W212
Originally Posted by MercedesFTW
Alrighty whatever helps you sleep at night!
that's the attitude. Whatever helps him to get laid for the first time.

On a more serious notes, I agree with a few members here that we shouldn’t stereotype anyone. I believe that a small percentage of AMG drivers are real a$$holes, and a small percentage of M3 drivers are real gentlemen.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:50 PM

'99 CLK430
Fear not.......my jazz has an owner already and she says it's perfectly fine on the mantle...

on a side note: lets see if any of those X-racers can handle a flight in one of these birds to test their skills. bet they puke in their masks or pass out on a Hi-V turn.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:22 PM

'03 E55
Fear not.......my jazz has an owner already and she says it's perfectly fine on the mantle...

on a side note: lets see if any of those X-racers can handle a flight in one of these birds to test their skills. bet they puke in their masks or pass out on a Hi-V turn.

I try to convince mine that she needs to play jazz much more frequently, but does she listen?

On a side note: Is that what you get to "drive" for a living?
Old 09-06-2007, 06:42 PM

'99 CLK430
I try to convince mine that she needs to play jazz much more frequently, but does she listen?

On a side note: Is that what you get to "drive" for a living?

It is designed to penetrate enemy airspace and achieve a first-look, first-kill capability against multiple targets. The F-22 is characterized by a low-observable, highly maneuverable airframe; advanced integrated avionics; and aerodynamic performance allowing supersonic cruise without afterburner.
two Pratt & Whitney F119-PW-100 engines
Thrust 35,000 lbst

My flytime is over now but did get 1 chance to push this beast around Andrews AFB and buzz the jersey coast-line. Spanked the pants off of the F-15 in maneuverability.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:23 PM

'03 E55

My flytime is over now but did get 1 chance to push this beast around Andrews AFB and buzz the jersey coast-line. Spanked the pants off of the F-15 in maneuverability.
Just want to say a big thank you for defending our country and that you've earned the right to spend however much time you deem necessary in the left lane. I'll try to remember to take it easy on any slow silver 430's in the left lane if I'm ever in your neck of the woods.

Driving anything on the road must be a real letdown after getting to fly that bad-a$$ machine.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

It is designed to penetrate enemy airspace and achieve a first-look, first-kill capability against multiple targets. The F-22 is characterized by a low-observable, highly maneuverable airframe; advanced integrated avionics; and aerodynamic performance allowing supersonic cruise without afterburner.
two Pratt & Whitney F119-PW-100 engines
Thrust 35,000 lbst

that's bad *** , but an E55 probably has more torque!
Old 09-06-2007, 11:55 PM

'99 CLK430
Originally Posted by nlpamg
that's bad *** , but an E55 probably has more torque!

I heard the new AMG's had over 75,000 lbs of thrust!
Those twin Pratt & Whitney's have nothing on the AMG team.