CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

What's the Deal With E46 M3 Drivers?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E60 M5, Trailblazer SS, Acura TL, CLK55 (SOLD), E420 (SOLD)
What's the Deal With E46 M3 Drivers?

Let me preface my post by saying that I know some of you have M3s, so this message is not necessary meant to offend you. In fact, two of my best friends have M3s.

In the last few years, from my personal experience, I've concluded that many E46 M3 drivers in the NY/NJ/CT area tend to be very aggressive and drive as if his car is the fastest thing on the planet. This often times lead to impromptu drag races on the NJTP/GSP and stretches of 95N toward New England. It also leads to dramatic displays of M3 drivers risking life, limb and car by conducting crazy maneuvers like weaving in/out of traffic on the shoulder or cutting off innocent bystanders.

This haphazard attitude is often carried over to local streets and parking lots as well.

One more thing I've noticed, G35 Coupe drivers often act just like these E46 drivers. Too bad most of the time they pick "races" with me, I'm tooling around in the SS.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Funny you say that. An older red one flew by me this morning, slowed down a bit to my speed, then floored it probably going 100 + through this area that is 2 lanes with jersey barriers a foot to each side. Plenty of bob and weave traffic too. I watched in disbelief. What kills me is that the tard probably thought I was going to haul along with him on his little display. Open road I'm all for it, guy was an idiot, a de-badged 3 series actually so I know he had the terd to the floor the whole time.

I don't so much see this with BMW's as I do basically affordable cars. Last time I drove by my old town's highschool I a whole street of older A4's and 3 series now that they are $5K cars any fool is behind the wheel. I see tons of kids bombing around like maniacs in farty 3 series like fools and usually rockin' a M3 badge to go with it..ha ha ha.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by JerseyCLK55
Let me preface my post by saying that I know some of you have M3s, so this message is not necessary meant to offend you. In fact, two of my best friends have M3s.

In the last few years, from my personal experience, I've concluded that many E46 M3 drivers in the NY/NJ/CT area tend to be very aggressive and drive as if his car is the fastest thing on the planet. This often times lead to impromptu drag races on the NJTP/GSP and stretches of 95N toward New England. It also leads to dramatic displays of M3 drivers risking life, limb and car by conducting crazy maneuvers like weaving in/out of traffic on the shoulder or cutting off innocent bystanders.

This haphazard attitude is often carried over to local streets and parking lots as well.

One more thing I've noticed, G35 Coupe drivers often act just like these E46 drivers. Too bad most of the time they pick "races" with me, I'm tooling around in the SS.
I guess it's a BMW thing!

Old 08-04-2007, 10:08 PM

CLK 55

true indeed....i've been witness to a few debadged BM's that think they rule the roads...G35's as well...i thought it was only me that they want to test...glad i'm not alone...haha, 209's UNITE!!!
Old 08-04-2007, 10:19 PM

Wishful Thinking

I agree. I normally would not say this, but we should all get together and give these E46 and G35 guys a good spanking.

I have to admit that ONE time, on NJTP I ran an E46 M3. He had nothing on me after 80. It was an open stretch for a while and he kept coming back for more whippin. Once we hit traffic, I backed off while he started to bob and weave through cars like he was Deion Sanders.

Maybe it's a North Jersey/NY thing, but it seems like the M3 and G35s are the wannabe Gotti/Bridge-and-Tunnel/I think I'm the coolest dude in town -mobile. I just went to a family dinner in Edgewater and witnessed at least 3 "cool guys" revving/flooring their G35s around the parking lot.

Why??????????!!!
Old 08-04-2007, 10:27 PM

CLK 55
I agree. I normally would not say this, but we should all get together and give these E46 and G35 guys a good spanking.

I have to admit that ONE time, on NJTP I ran an E46 M3. He had nothing on me after 80. It was an open stretch for a while and he kept coming back for more whippin. Once we hit traffic, I backed off while he started to bob and weave through cars like he was Deion Sanders.

Maybe it's a North Jersey/NY thing, but it seems like the M3 and G35s are the wannabe Gotti/Bridge-and-Tunnel/I think I'm the coolest dude in town -mobile. I just went to a family dinner in Edgewater and witnessed at least 3 "cool guys" revving/flooring their G35s around the parking lot.

Why??????????!!!
haha, who knows...it's the hum the car gives that must get em excited... next u'll those new altima coupes will be buzzing in ur ear like gnats @ a BBQ hahaha
Old 08-05-2007, 12:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
clk55
I've never had an m3 challenge me yet, but after 2 months of getting my w208, i've been challenged by 3 g35s and all of them got spanked so badly that before getting to the next light they made a u turn and went back.....
Old 08-05-2007, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Funny you mention this. Just yesterday, as I left the Arclight having found Bourne Identity sold out, an M3 CS came up and floored it as I was halfway pulled out. He must have seen the badging on the side of my car or something but that street is very narrow and has lines of clubgoers on its westside so I was hardly going to give chase.

Anyway, it does seem a common problme with E46 M3 drivers. However, at least they have a car which led the class for 5 years until the 2006 arrival of the RS4. It may not be all that fast by today's standards but the 3.2 is a work of art and the chassis and styling undeniably accomplished.

The G35/350Z on the other hand is not even worth racing even on a clear road. Not to mention the exhaust is the whiniest noise one can be subjected to.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
I have yet to race any M3's in my car. Only time I spot them on I395 is when they are heading in the other direction. I have had people in the past drive like maniacs just to get by me. I assume the drive knows what AMG means and will do anything to "beat" me. Hey...if you really need to drive in the breakdown lane on the right to pass me then you win!
Old 08-05-2007, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
I think the M3 thing has to do with the fact that alot of the drivers tend to be pretty young guys. I have one and find that it is a brilliant driver's car. Perhaps its the first performance car that they have driven and there is plenty of youthful testeaterone running through their veins.

I do notice that whenever I take a Ferrari out, everything from M3s to pick ups have gotta have a go at me! Its all good fun.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:18 PM

'11 997.2 Carrera GTS
Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
I think the M3 thing has to do with the fact that alot of the drivers tend to be pretty young guys. I have one and find that it is a brilliant driver's car. Perhaps its the first performance car that they have driven and there is plenty of youthful testeaterone running through their veins.

I do notice that whenever I take a Ferrari out, everything from M3s to pick ups have gotta have a go at me! Its all good fun.
I used to have the same problem with my old MKIV supra. Anyone will want to race because they want to see what your car can do or they want to see how long they can keep up with you. I even had old guys in LS430 wanting to run with me. I have been called out in the gt3 only a few times and at least it was guys with vettes or aston martins.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:32 PM

E55 AMG + Mustang GT
I think its mainly the fact that they are good looking/performing cars, that are now a couple years old and can be gotten for prices which a younger crowd can afford. So nowadays you see a lot of younger guys driving them around.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:43 PM

One more

I had this whole post written out and one slip of the mouse it disappeared.

I agree with you guys that the M3 is indeed a great driver's car. Excellent handling and more responsive than my CLK55. However, it's a bit of a boy racer and has no juice under 4K RPM. Plus, it's become a "me too" car- especially in NJ/NY. And, there is the jerk factor.

Today, given all the talk of "racing", I was so riled up that I accepted the "challenge" today from an S2000. So, I was the hypocrite today- my bad.

Surprisingly, I didn't beat him as badly as I imagined. One run, he was behind me and I pulled 5 lengths on him from 70 with open road ahead of me. The second time, I was lined up with a 993 Turbo at the middle of 3rd gear, I punched the throttle but the Turbo just stayed where he was. Surprisingly, the S2000 went and STAYED with me for about 1-2 seconds before I pulled 5 lengths on him again. I know these are lightweight 240 HP cars that do 0-60 in 5.4s and 1/4 in low 14s, so I figured that I would've beat him by a greater margin.

The man-child that I am, I gave him the Bruce Lee-style thumbs down any way.

Oh yeah, why is every other car in VT a Saab, Volvo or Subaru wagon?
Old 08-06-2007, 12:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
m3 owners rarely around here, but yes, G35 owners, coupes and the new G35s, theres one by sheepshed bay, new black g35 sedan with chromies and yellow fogs, this guy is nuts.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:58 AM
Banned

German
M3 + BOOST =
Old 08-06-2007, 05:39 PM

'99 CLK430
I was on the NJTPK Saturday night headed north from Philly to NY at around 10-10:30 pm. Traffic was fair to slightly heavy. Average speed in the hammer lane was running 75-80 and not much room to shuffle lanes (which I don't do). My blood started to boil as I watched Nissan after Infinity after Acura after BMW drive like a cluster of brain dead wanna-be race car drivers weaving in and out from far right to far left lanes, cutting people off and forcing the panic braking in the hammer lane. The worst drivers of the bunch were the 3 *******s in the BMW's. (328ci, M3 & some kinda 5 series)

The reason I'm pissed off at those guys the most is they were cutting people behind me off left and right. I had the hammer lane wide open for almost a mile before the next clump of traffic congestion. (read: no cars in front of me) As all 3 *******s shot up my right side they each cut in front of me as close to my fender/bumper as possible.......one closer than the other.

I realize that I cannot fix their ****ed-up ego's nor their poor driving skills but if we ever meet face to face on stationary ground...........
Old 08-06-2007, 06:12 PM
DNJ

CLS 63 AMG (previously) looking for another AMG
Cool

Originally Posted by 430cruz
I was on the NJTPK Saturday night headed north from Philly to NY at around 10-10:30 pm. Traffic was fair to slightly heavy. Average speed in the hammer lane was running 75-80 and not much room to shuffle lanes (which I don't do). My blood started to boil as I watched Nissan after Infinity after Acura after BMW drive like a cluster of brain dead wanna-be race car drivers weaving in and out from far right to far left lanes, cutting people off and forcing the panic braking in the hammer lane. The worst drivers of the bunch were the 3 *******s in the BMW's. (328ci, M3 & some kinda 5 series)

The reason I'm pissed off at those guys the most is they were cutting people behind me off left and right. I had the hammer lane wide open for almost a mile before the next clump of traffic congestion. (read: no cars in front of me) As all 3 *******s shot up my right side they each cut in front of me as close to my fender/bumper as possible.......one closer than the other.

I realize that I cannot fix their ****ed-up ego's nor their poor driving skills but if we ever meet face to face on stationary ground...........

We see the same thing here in the UK only that the driving behaviour is extended to all 3 series drivers! The running joke in the UK is to view BMW drivers as drug dealers (no offense to you US drivers as I suspect you are different on that front).
Old 08-06-2007, 09:25 PM

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
2002 CLK55
G35s and M3s are bad, but not as bad as civics. for some reason, they think they can stay with an AMG
Old 08-06-2007, 11:41 PM

'99 CLK430
It does crack me up when a Honda with a trash-can size muffler dangling from the bumper and 3 different color body panel tries to entice me to race him........And they seriously think they can take me........
Old 08-07-2007, 10:06 AM
Almost a Member!

E46 M3 & Jeep SRT8 E60 M5 on order
younger kids are getting into used M3's now especially 2001/2002 they go for low 30's
Old 08-07-2007, 10:15 AM

CLK 55
Originally Posted by 430cruz
It does crack me up when a Honda with a trash-can size muffler dangling from the bumper and 3 different color body panel tries to entice me to race him........And they seriously think they can take me........
lmaoooo, i see it all to often here in NY...it's amazing/hilarious when they roll up next to u wit the lawn mower engine goin hard
Old 08-07-2007, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
In Westchester NY, most rice-civics have lots of respect for anything that costs $20,000+ LOL and they are totally scared ****less of German and American cars.

M3 drivers are usually very aggressive, always looking for a good race. I don't mind them at all. Usually I'm the one weaving in and out of traffic and baiting others (often faster cars) for races. So when I encounter an M3 it automatically turns into a competition. G35's are similiar to M's except there are more older people driving G35's and therefore its like 50% of them are aggressive whereas 80% of M3 and M5 drivers are aggressive. I notice most M6 drivers are old doctors who leave they're SMG tranny in auto and never go over the speed limit.

I saw a Testarossa the other day on i95, I tried to race him but he just stayed cruising at 55mph and wouldn't budge.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R35 GT-R, EvoX
Originally Posted by ItalianStallion
In Westchester NY, most rice-civics have lots of respect for anything that costs $20,000+ LOL and they are totally scared ****less of German and American cars.
I take that back completely...about 1 hour ago I I got off of i287 and onto i95south and cruisin at like 90-100mph to get back to work and an ice blue Accord was tearing through traffic. This guy was going over the shoulder, cutting in and out of 18 wheelers like it was a video game. He even hit a shredded tire on the side of the road. He was a complete idiot and after that he puts his hazards on to show he won. I caught up to him and then lined up to see if he wanted to slow down and do a run and as soon as I slowed down and looked at him, he took off and went on the shoulder and cut off as many cars as possible. What a retard.

Before that I was running with a guy in a new black civic si. Same stuff but it only lasted about a minute whereas the guy in the Accord was doing this for maybe 5+ minutes and he was getting very wreckless.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 559 Likes on 369 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
M3 drivers are mostly young guys who've never had anything that quick or responsive before. They think they've been given the fastest thing ever and a lot of them are real jerks on the road. Now I admit, I drive my M5 like it was STOLEN, but I mean come on, its a 500 horsepower car, I do kinda own the road.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R35 GT-R, EvoX
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
...but I mean come on, its a 500 horsepower car, I do kinda own the road.
LOL
All hail CylinderHead

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What's the Deal With E46 M3 Drivers?