CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Deers are not as cute as they look

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2007 | 03:44 PM

2004 CLK55
Deers are not as cute as they look

Decided to take a day trip to the mountains in Banff last week. On my way there about 90 minutes away from Banff I saw a deer running down the bank ahead. Hit the brakes slowed from 105 km (65 mph) to approx 40 km (25 mph) but deer ran up out of ditch and tried to go over my car. Deer was probably doing abou 25 mph. This all happened in less than 2 1/2 seconds.

There is 2 small dents on top of front fender, damage to A-Pillar, passenger window smashed, magor dents in passenger door and behind door just before rear wheel. Also very small dent before tail light, cracks in tail light, 2 small scratches in the rocker panel below the door.

Body shop says there is over $13,800 Cdn damage, including $6600 of replaced parts such fenders, door, mirror, glass and tail light.

Just waiting to hear if the Insurance company has any objections of getting it repaired at the place I took it for the estimate. Three people recommended this body shop for high end cars in Edmonton. Still worried that it will never be the same.

The thing that really sucks as I play this back in my mind, if I would have seen the deer about 3/4 second sooner, I might have slowed down enough where he would have ran in front of my car. Or if I would have not seen it at all, I would have probably been ahead of him by a few meters (feet) before it ran on the hi-way.
Old 09-08-2007 | 03:53 PM

2004 CLK55
Here are some pics. Viewer discretion is advised as these are very nasty.
Attached Thumbnails Deers are not as cute as they look-dsc02500.jpg   Deers are not as cute as they look-dsc02501.jpg   Deers are not as cute as they look-dsc02502.jpg  
Old 09-08-2007 | 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 AMG SL55, 2002 AMG CLK55, 2002 AMG ML55, 2005 ML350, 1995 S320 LWB - totaled
WOW I am sorry to hear about this. I know how much it hurts to have your baby hurt.
Old 09-08-2007 | 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Sorry to hear about your car.
Old 09-08-2007 | 06:08 PM
zee

2004 Silver CLK500
The pictures are truly horrifying. Hope your car is back to the former state very soon.

Stupid deer.
Old 09-08-2007 | 06:41 PM

2004 CLK55
Because this body shop does good work, they may not be able to get the car in till mid Oct. even if the parts come in sooner. It usually snows up here around halloween, so I may not even get to drive it much till next spring. I don't drive it in the winter so I would not get rock chips or someone run in to me. I guess I forgot about the deer!
Old 09-09-2007 | 11:19 AM

CLK 55
awwwe man...suxxxxx...good luck with a speedy fix up..
Old 09-10-2007 | 09:46 PM

2017 Audi RS7 ,2015 Lamborghini Huracan, 2015 Bentley GTC Speed, 2017 GLS63, 2018 Porsche Targa 4 GT
Deer Attack

I also had a deer run into my SL 55. It was pitch black out. I ended up having about $6000 in damage. If it would have hit six inches higher, I would have had a four-legged furry hitchhiker inside of the car, right through the passenger window.

Who knew deer lived in Scottsdale.
Old 09-11-2007 | 04:54 PM

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupé
Originally Posted by RK-CLK55
Decided to take a day trip to the mountains in Banff last week. On my way there about 90 minutes away from Banff I saw a deer running down the bank ahead. Hit the brakes slowed from 105 km (65 mph) to approx 40 km (25 mph) but deer ran up out of ditch and tried to go over my car. Deer was probably doing abou 25 mph. This all happened in less than 2 1/2 seconds.

There is 2 small dents on top of front fender, damage to A-Pillar, passenger window smashed, magor dents in passenger door and behind door just before rear wheel. Also very small dent before tail light, cracks in tail light, 2 small scratches in the rocker panel below the door.

Body shop says there is over $13,800 Cdn damage, including $6600 of replaced parts such fenders, door, mirror, glass and tail light.

Just waiting to hear if the Insurance company has any objections of getting it repaired at the place I took it for the estimate. Three people recommended this body shop for high end cars in Edmonton. Still worried that it will never be the same.

The thing that really sucks as I play this back in my mind, if I would have seen the deer about 3/4 second sooner, I might have slowed down enough where he would have ran in front of my car. Or if I would have not seen it at all, I would have probably been ahead of him by a few meters (feet) before it ran on the hi-way.
Yeah that sucks -- but at least you weren't the deer
Old 09-12-2007 | 01:42 PM
Banned

Cobra/E55
Ouch!!!! That really sucks. Glad to see you're ok though.
Old 09-12-2007 | 11:35 PM

CLK 63 AMG Black
I have nailed 2, and lightly brushed one. So much depends on the angle of impact, and the nose height of the car. You are definitely correct that hitting one in a car with a low nose can result in a live deer kicking in the passenger compartment after it goes thru the windshield.
Fortunately, the 2 I nailed (several years apart) went under the car. One caused $5,000 in damage, and the other cost $188! The latter was hit by my right front corner, and instantly went under both left wheels. My only damage was a broken headlight mount which was epoxied and repaired.
I'm sorry for your loss, and grateful for your safety.Deer are a nasty road hazzard, especially when your guard is down due to no traffic. Good luck. AS
Old 09-13-2007 | 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
deer.....not deers.
Old 09-13-2007 | 12:12 PM

Velvet Fleetwood
sorry to hear that, speedy recovery to your baby.

hitting a deer is one of my biggest fears, you never know what they will do.
Old 11-23-2007 | 09:23 PM

2004 CLK55
Finally good news! After almost 3 months of haggling with my insurance company they have finally gave me the go ahead to get my Benz fixed at the body shop of my choice. The body shop I wanted said it would cost $11,800. The insurance co. did the estimate with the rate from their preferred body shop which was $6 to $10/hr cheaper depending whether it was body work or painting. The insurance company initially came up with $10,300 and I would have had to pay $1497 + G.S.T. out of my pocket. Their preferred body shop would have been OK, if I was fixing a Accord or Grand Am. Everyone told me not to take my Benz to where the Ins. Co. insisted. In Edmonton, there was only 4 places where people take a high end car like a Benz, BMW, etc; and Reflections Auto Body always comes up 1st or 2nd on the list. So they have order the parts and it will go in on Jan 17. They said it will take a month to fix, but it will be ready before spring and the soonest I would have driven it normally is Apr, after the snow goes.
Old 11-24-2007 | 04:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Insurance companies are always looking for ways to screw paying members even though these members pay their fees for many years to keep them in business

I'm glad you won this fight and I hope you fix your car as soon as possible....
Old 11-24-2007 | 09:29 PM

2002 CLK55 Cabriolet (DEAD: 1989 300E, 1984 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible)
We have deer all over the place where I work (they seem to know that a fenced-in campus means any predators can't get them, so they wander around as they please) and one time I was slowly inching up the road near my building as a herd of them came trotting down same. They usually know to avoid cars but this time one of them panicked and ran across from the group on one side of me over to the group on the other side - but in the process he glanced across my front grille (of my beater 300E), pretty much took it out and I had to replace it. It all happened so fast and I'm just glad he was going at an angle or it'd have been much worse - for both of us.

Sorry about your Beast though RK-CLK55 ... I winced looking at those pics, ouch!
Old 11-26-2007 | 07:51 PM

03 CLK 55 AMG, IMCO muffler/Magnaflow tips, KW V1 coilovers, 19" Petrol Metrix Wheels
seriously i would die. outside of some new wheels my car looks and runs exactly like i want it to.
Old 11-26-2007 | 08:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

In the market
Their not that cute, but they are delicious pan-fried with some butter flakes....or in a stew...I actually had one as a steak only minutes ago...didn't get him with a car though....
Old 12-13-2007 | 04:05 AM

2001 CLK55
I feel ya Brother.

30 years ago I hit a cow on a hairpin turn driving a modified Lancia Beta Coupe. Totalled were the car, the cow, and my wife who cried for 3 days after the accident. Never could figure out if she was crying about the car or the cow. She's fine now but we dont actually hang out anymore, especially in the car as she lives about 800 miles away. Thankee.
Old 01-25-2008 | 10:29 PM

2004 CLK55
On Dec 1 the body shop told me to bring it in on Jan 17 as the parts will be definitely in. Turned out when they checked on the status of the delivery just after the new year for the quarter panel, etc; the Benz Dealership where I bought it forgot to order them before Christmas. So things were delayed another week before I could take it in for them to start work. They said it will take about a month and will have it way before spring. It will be about six months from the time I hit the deer till it is finally fixed. Most of the delay is because of the Insurance Co.!!! ... Has anyone else had to wait so long to get their vehicle repaired?
Old 01-25-2008 | 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by Ghenghis
30 years ago I hit a cow on a hairpin turn driving a modified Lancia Beta Coupe. Totalled were the car, the cow, and my wife who cried for 3 days after the accident. Never could figure out if she was crying about the car or the cow. She's fine now but we dont actually hang out anymore, especially in the car as she lives about 800 miles away. Thankee.
Does she eat meat?
Old 06-18-2008 | 10:52 PM

2004 CLK55
Final Update: The whole right side of the car was redone, plus they had the front bumper & rear bumper off plus a lot of the interior on right side and trunk apart.

I went to pick the car up Apr 15 & the first thing I noticed that there was a small dent under the right door handle. Probably done by the people that did the Tint on the passenger window. Also the rocker molding behind the door was sticking out too far and a piece in the trunk along the right side was not installed right. The body shop kept the car and it snowed so I didn't pick it up for 2 weeks.

Picked the car up May 1. Drove it, washed it & waxed it. Noticed that the rocker panel under the right door near the front fender was still not right (sticking out a bit). Rear over head lamp was burnt out and passenger vanity mirror did not light. Headliner in rear was slightly bowed by the rear window. Saw a paint blemish on the mirror, the right windows were not rolling up all the way (about 1/4" short but making contact with rubber). Also noticed the Service A reminder was on, probably when air bags were changed. Took the car back a week later and they had it for a week with a trip to the Benz Service dept. Everything was fixed except for the paint blemish on the new mirror (someone screwed up and didn't get it done). He told me to drive it for a few weeks and see if anything else was wrong, he was keeping the work order open to the insurance company.

Drove it for 3 weeks. Noticed wind noice from the passenger window at speeds over 60 mph. Now that the windows rolled up higher I could see where the bottom part of the tint stopped on the passenger window. Also the right arm rest panel in the rear seat was kind of bowed out (clip was not seated properly in the slot. Took it back Jun 10.

Picked it up 4 days later. They had the window place re-tint the passenger window and paint blemish fixed. Everything else is now 100% correct inside and out. The paint is perfect and all body parts line up perfectly. No one should be able to tell it ever was hit by the Suicidal Deer!!!

The manager of the body shop told me the first time I picked it up that they expected 3 or 4 things not right because of how much of the car was apart. Turned out to be a few more, which they were very disappointed in themselves because they don't have most cars come back 3 times. But they were willing to fix everything till I was completely satisfied. Just took 4 1/2 months from when it went in initially.

Because I only drive the CLK55 on nice days and really baby it, keeping it clean & shiny, it was hard to enjoy driving it when I new there was something wrong. I guess I am too much of a pefectionist, but I am sure a few other Benz owners are too. Now I can enjoy the car again because everything is back to the way it was before the accident.

Finally a happy ending to this unfortunate mishap!
Old 06-19-2008 | 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 Mercedes Benz E220D/GONE!JUNK!Current GLC Coupe 350d 4 Matic

Sucks for the Deer too!did you kill it?

It sucks to have your car i the body shop.
When this guy crashed into my BMW a few years back,the damage was 13K$ and the car was worth 18k$ The insurance decided to have it fixed!??

It took em 5 days per 1000$ worth of damage to fix the car,i was so pissed!!!
Old 06-19-2008 | 12:46 AM

2004 CLK55
The deer got up off the hi-way after a couple minutes and stumbled into the ditch and bush. I guy who stopped about a minute after I hit the deer said it would proabably die in a few hours.

The bill was $12,200 when I picked it up the car the first time. But I am sure that by the time everything was completed it wasn't too far off of the original $13,800 esitmate that the insurance company said was too high in the first place.
Old 06-20-2008 | 03:00 AM

04 CLK 500, 07 GSX-R 750, S 550, 09 Jeep GC
i haven't had a deer hit me but I usually hit deer with a .338 lapua.

does the job REAL well.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Deers are not as cute as they look