CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

WTB.. clk55 w208 intake air box

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 06:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2k CLK 4.3
WTB.. clk55 w208 intake air box

Anyone here have a intake air box layin around from an upgrade would love ta take off your hands. In so cal area. Lookin for the mild but reasonable hp gain in my 430 W208. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:15 AM

All of them!
Originally Posted by lsmanic1
Anyone here have a intake air box layin around from an upgrade would love ta take off your hands. In so cal area. Lookin for the mild but reasonable hp gain in my 430 W208. Thanks in advance.
How much are you willing to pay for an 208 AMG air box and how much is this supposed reasonable gain? Has anyone actually had a back to back dyno to compare? I would bet the 430's original box is better, and that's the style they installed on the 209 CLK55. You want flow? Then get the airbox from the ML55. It's a better flowing less restrictive design and what I have on my CLK55. It also doesn't sit on top of the engine holding heat in the manifold and heating your incoming air.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:12 AM

2k CLK 4.3
Hey MBman. Well i've finally decided ta do a few mods ta spice up my commute. There are some threads on here with the dyno info backing this set up. I guess prices are out there running from $350 - $550 for the stock 55 air box. I like your thought on the ML tho. props on thinkin outside the box. So do you have this on your 55 now. how was fitment. Any noticeable gains. Look forward to your reply as this route may be a possibility. You might be on to something here.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:04 AM

All of them!
Hey MBman. Well i've finally decided ta do a few mods ta spice up my commute. There are some threads on here with the dyno info backing this set up. I guess prices are out there running from $350 - $550 for the stock 55 air box. I like your thought on the ML tho. props on thinkin outside the box. So do you have this on your 55 now. how was fitment. Any noticeable gains. Look forward to your reply as this route may be a possibility. You might be on to something here.
I spent a lot of time and money testing. The single inlet presents many advantages and IS the least restrictive of all the options available, including the Renntech box. The stock 430 box is less restrictive than the AMG box they used up to 2002. The n/a 55 box as of 2003 looks to be the regular non amg v8 air box.
I haven't seen a dyno on putting the 55 box on the 430, only the individuals own driving opinions. I really would want to see a back to back dyno swapping the boxes right there with like brand filters in place. If anyone actually found any power from it, it would probably be because the 430 has less air demand. I also would not be surprised to see a 430 box actually improve a 55 by at least 5 hp.

This is how my CLK55 looks and it made horsepower.

Last edited by mbenzman; 09-30-2007 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:19 AM

2k CLK 4.3
Originally Posted by mbenzman
I spent a lot of time and money testing. The single inlet presents many advantages and IS the least restrictive of all the options available, including the Renntech box. The stock 430 box is less restrictive than the AMG box they used up to 2002. The n/a 55 box as of 2003 looks to be the regular non amg v8 air box.
I haven't seen a dyno on putting the 55 box on the 430, only the individuals own driving opinions. I really would want to see a back to back dyno swapping the boxes right there with like brand filters in place. If anyone actually found any power from it, it would probably be because the 430 has less air demand. I also would not be surprised to see a 430 box actually improve a 55 by at least 5 hp.

This is how my CLK55 looks and it made horsepower.
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...=186192&page=2
This is where im gettin my info. You deffinatly seem ta know your stuff. So you would suggest i move away from the 55 or the rentech box? Is that the ML setup mentioned earlier in the pic? The cooler air makes more sence n looks more like what i would want to consider. have you ever done a dyno R/T your intake setup. That info would be real benificial. You may have what we been lookin for.... Look forward to more replies...
Old 09-30-2007, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2000 CLK430
This debate has been going on for a while and there was a member that actually did a before and after dyno with proven results with a 55 box. I believe his name was JOSHK. I believe he got 10 HP ??? but dont quote me on this....I had bought the 55 box and then sold to get another part but now I regret doing that.

I had planned on painting the top of the box black like the car instead of having that cheap plastic look. I think there was also a listing where it could be had for 350.00 it had been posted on the 208 forum.

Greg
Old 09-30-2007, 11:39 AM

All of them!
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...=186192&page=2
This is where im gettin my info. You deffinatly seem ta know your stuff. So you would suggest i move away from the 55 or the rentech box? Is that the ML setup mentioned earlier in the pic? The cooler air makes more sence n looks more like what i would want to consider. have you ever done a dyno R/T your intake setup. That info would be real benificial. You may have what we been lookin for.... Look forward to more replies...
The tube to the throttle body is the same one used on the ML55, 500, 430 and 320. The Kleemann supercharger systems for the V6 & V8 also use this tube. It doesn't say AMG on it, though.
The only differences in my current setup is due the fact I have a open element K&N filter, adapter and heat shield. You want sound, this definitely make the engine intake sound.
I am considering the CLK320 factory air box as a next purchase to test. I suspect it's sufficent especially with a K&N filter in it. But that's coming, soon!
BTW, I've never had a problem with K&N's, they are installed in every one of my cars and I've never even had to clean a MAF, let alone replace one of them, be it on my Mercedes or Fords and we put at least 50K. miles on them a year.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:35 PM

All of them!
Originally Posted by gregory13lil
This debate has been going on for a while and there was a member that actually did a before and after dyno with proven results with a 55 box. I believe his name was JOSHK. I believe he got 10 HP ??? but dont quote me on this.
Greg
Sorry, I'm quoting you, for arguments sake.
There is some differences between the two boxes and there is more filter area on the 55 box as well as the filters being mounted 90 degrees to the others. But 10 hp on a 430, it would have to be because the pinched area at the maf on the 55 box is not restricting the air flow enough to hurt the 430's performance, but it does impede any performance increase on the 55. Both boxes and the renntech box are garbage, all flawed and add NOTHING to performance, they can only rob less than one another. When you try to compare the two engines though, at over 1 liter difference, optimal airflow tuning is a big difference and you need to bear that in mind. My CLK was being hurt by the AMG box, and I could get more out until I found a solution.
Still if I was going to do anything with the 430, it would be what I have on mine, it was dynoed at the AMG event after two others and put down 25-30 hp more than two other clk55's even though I had heavy two piece wheels and the quaife diff. to hurt my figures.
I haven't tested a 430 box or car for that matter, but it would be interesting to study. Maybe you guys can get Da guitarist to come out and play with his. I do have an open mind and a 55 box with brand new K&N's sitting around. We can find a dyno and take both a 430 and 55 and start swapping.

Rich
Old 09-30-2007, 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK430
Sorry, I'm quoting you, for arguments sake.
There is some differences between the two boxes and there is more filter area on the 55 box as well as the filters being mounted 90 degrees to the others. But 10 hp on a 430, it would have to be because the pinched area at the maf on the 55 box is not restricting the air flow enough to hurt the 430's performance, but it does impede any performance increase on the 55. Both boxes and the renntech box are garbage, all flawed and add NOTHING to performance, they can only rob less than one another. When you try to compare the two engines though, at over 1 liter difference, optimal airflow tuning is a big difference and you need to bear that in mind. My CLK was being hurt by the AMG box, and I could get more out until I found a solution.
Still if I was going to do anything with the 430, it would be what I have on mine, it was dynoed at the AMG event after two others and put down 25-30 hp more than two other clk55's even though I had heavy two piece wheels and the quaife diff. to hurt my figures.
I haven't tested a 430 box or car for that matter, but it would be interesting to study. Maybe you guys can get Da guitarist to come out and play with his. I do have an open mind and a 55 box with brand new K&N's sitting around. We can find a dyno and take both a 430 and 55 and start swapping.

Rich
I would actually be very interested in doing this and will pay for the DYNO on my 430 if you can hook me up with the 55 box for the test? I am in Augusta so I can or will be willing to drive there to do some testing!! I think this will be fun and will finally put a REAL answer on whether it actually helps or not? Can we set something up for next weekend?

Please let me know!! OR we can do it during the AMG meet as well...but I am anxious for the results now

DA Guitarist...I know you are reading this so YOU down with this! My car is perfectly stock down to the filters so this would be a damn good baseline for me as well.

Greg
Old 10-01-2007, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Current: AMG GT-C. Sold: 01 CLK55, 00 ML55, 01 ML55, 06 E55
I'm in ATL most of the time, and am ready to do this asap. i have a few setups i'd like to try. Let me know what we can do about finding a dyno and what kind of costs we would have. I'm in midtown, and am available for evenings or saturday/sunday. EXCITED!
Old 10-01-2007, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Current: AMG GT-C. Sold: 01 CLK55, 00 ML55, 01 ML55, 06 E55
I might be available for this weekend, the 7th/8th...let me know what works for you guys
Old 10-01-2007, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK430
The DYNO run is confirmed!!! We will finally find out which intake will make the most HP for a CLK.

MBenzman will provide the intakes for me to use on a completely stock 430. We will start the run with a factory 430 air box and then we will go on to the 55 Airbox and then we will use a straight pipe with a filter.

It will be in Marietta, GA at 9 AM if anyone cares to come check it out!! Too early for some beers but we will have coffee available!!

Greg
Old 10-01-2007, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 SV650S, 11 Santa Fe
When did 9am become too early for beer?

So when/where exactly will this be going down? I'll come out and watch.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK430
The address is:
DYNO Inc.
1535 Rosewood Circle
Marietta, GA 30067

Time: 9 am till ???

And if you are down with 9am beer then hell I am not one to wuss out either so I am down See ya there!!

Greg
Old 10-01-2007, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK430
Oh yeah and I also have a W209 AMG Airbox that I will throw in and test if there is time as well!!! I cant FREAKIN WAIT!!!!

The wife doesnt understand my excitement but hell at least you guys do!!
Old 10-01-2007, 09:13 PM

All of them!
Just to add to the mix, I went ahead installed the CLK320 airbox (equipped with a flat panel K&N filter) and the proper inlet tube which connects to the original passenger side snorkel. Pay attention here, THE AIR BOX FOR THE CLK320 IS ALSO A DUAL SNORKEL, you just don't see the second snorkel going out the bottom into the fender area. Ever see a 55 with this???
Other than losing the sound from the open element air filter, I feel no reduction in power. I guess the dyno (lie detector) will tell though.
Note, something I hadn't thought of earlier, to install this tube on your cars, which IS obviously what I recommend for a load of reasons, we WILL have to cut your mass air flow connector off and lengthen the wiring harness to relocate it from the back to the side just like I have done. We don't have to shorten it to put it back. If your willing I will bring the nec. supplies, including the proper fabric wiring harness tape to make it appear factory, just like mine.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK430
ooohhhhhhh I dont know if I am willing to cut the wires. I dont want to end up paying for a new MAF. We are already spending 300+ in gas and dyno time just to satisfy everyones curiosity on the Airboxes.

Let me think about this. LOL

Greg
Old 10-01-2007, 10:02 PM

All of them!
Originally Posted by gregory13lil
ooohhhhhhh I dont know if I am willing to cut the wires. I dont want to end up paying for a new MAF. We are already spending 300+ in gas and dyno time just to satisfy everyones curiosity on the Airboxes.

Let me think about this. LOL

Greg
Won't hurt your maf at all, I am talking about extending the wiring harness behind the connector, so it will reach wherever you wish to put it. Study the picture of mine. Nothing hurt, looks factory and at the moment all parts used on mine in that picture are factory available except the K&N filter inside the 320 box. No big deal, won't take long and I am a M.B. mechanic.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK430
Rich,

After seeing your other posts and reading about your majic, you can just consider my car your CANVAS and do whatever it is you need to do for a proper test.

Hell you can have it there all day if you want

I cant wait!!

Greg
Old 10-04-2007, 04:53 PM
X55

2001 E55
Mbenzman I'm interested in adapting the ML intake to my 01 E55 to test the possible power improvement.

Other than lenghtening the MAF wires and extension tube + K&N forward of the MAF, are there any other parts needed to adapt to the intake manifold?

When I replaced my factory MAF I noticed the bracket/90 deg bend that it clips into which leads to the intake manifold, I assume the ML intake slides into this piece?

Also, does the ML intake have the clip provision for retaining the MAF built-in or are other pieces needed?

Thanks
Old 10-04-2007, 11:09 PM

All of them!
Originally Posted by X55
Mbenzman I'm interested in adapting the ML intake to my 01 E55 to test the possible power improvement.

Other than lenghtening the MAF wires and extension tube + K&N forward of the MAF, are there any other parts needed to adapt to the intake manifold?

When I replaced my factory MAF I noticed the bracket/90 deg bend that it clips into which leads to the intake manifold, I assume the ML intake slides into this piece?

Also, does the ML intake have the clip provision for retaining the MAF built-in or are other pieces needed?

Thanks
You would remove the air cleaner and tubes, maf, and the air inlet elbow at the throttle body. Open, cut the 5 wires and lengthen the harness to reach around to the right side (passenger side) of the engine. The tube will need a 6mmx15mm screw to secure it's support to the passenger side valve cover boss. It has and uses the same locking tabs to secure it to the rear of the manifold and throttle body as the elbow you already have. If you get yourself a factory E430 airbox, then you don't need to worry about the open element filter, a hot air barrier and an adapter to the maf. It will pop together, look factory, and work better than anything else. Some of the cars may need to relocate or install a different trans dipstick. If your is behind the right valve cover, then your ok, behind the egr valve is a problem.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
You would remove the air cleaner and tubes, maf, and the air inlet elbow at the throttle body. Open, cut the 5 wires and lengthen the harness to reach around to the right side (passenger side) of the engine. The tube will need a 6mmx15mm screw to secure it's support to the passenger side valve cover boss. It has and uses the same locking tabs to secure it to the rear of the manifold and throttle body as the elbow you already have. If you get yourself a factory E430 airbox, then you don't need to worry about the open element filter, a hot air barrier and an adapter to the maf. It will pop together, look factory, and work better than anything else. Some of the cars may need to relocate or install a different trans dipstick. If your is behind the right valve cover, then your ok, behind the egr valve is a problem.
RESULTS!!
Old 10-09-2007, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK430
The date was changed to this Saturday coming up since one of the other forum members wanted to attend and use the dyno as well.

It is set for 4 more days!! Oh yeah and its the same time and place as well.

Greg

Last edited by gregory13lil; 10-09-2007 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Ordered my CLK320 setup! Comes friday!
Old 05-03-2008, 07:24 AM

ck430 2002
Wink

i need to make my mass air flow wire longer too, could you give me some help on this.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: WTB.. clk55 w208 intake air box