CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

White elephant or classic?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2002, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
White elephant or classic?

Is the 208 clk55 going to be a minor footnote with only two years of production for the coupe and the cab?

I bought the car for the best combination of looks, luxury, and performance...but there are still rumors of the desirable hardtop convertible for the 209 and with the advent of the s/c engines from amg producing over a hundred more hp even in the E-class, what kind status will the car have a few years from now?
Old 11-01-2002, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Maserati Coupe
Re: White elephant or classic?

Originally posted by ima55r2
Is the 208 clk55 going to be a minor footnote with only two years of production for the coupe and the cab? ...
You ask an excellent question and one that I asked myself numerous times. I had originally put myself quite early on the waiting list for a W209 AMG after being told by my MB dealer that it would come out with "low to mid 400s in terms of horse power". Given that my "sources" contradicted this, I was a little skeptical, but decided to trust the dealer hoping that he knew something I didn't. Once I finally got the official specs, I was more than a little disappointed and canceled my order. I am know expecting a maserati coupe in the next month or so, and am eagerly waiting... MB did lose a sale (not that they will notice).

My opinion though, is that MB will eventually put a SC in the 209, if not for 2003, sometime thereafter (2 – 3 years perhaps). There has also been some talk of a "limited edition" Kompressor for 2003 (rumors have seen on this forum and BenzWorld), though who knows how many will be built or how widely it will be available, or even if it’s true. IMO, If MB eventually decides to make a 400++ HP CLK officially available in AMG form (not “special edition”), I think its status will remain. The question is, when? Perhaps we have the M3 to blame for not continuing the HP war (how far will they push the 6?), or perhaps there was a SC supply issue? For me it didn’t matter, I preferred not to wait and took my $$ elsewhere…

However, if MB decides to leave the HP as is, I fear the golden age of the CLK55 may have passed (OK, perhaps too melodramatic). This would mean that MB is going out of its way to place the CLK lower amongst its product line, a strategy I disagree with, and something discussed on this forum. However, I really don’t expect MB to do this.
Old 11-03-2002, 10:15 AM
Almost a Member!

CLK55
good reply!

I feel the same. If the 209 stays NA (normally aspirated), and the hp difference a mute point, it will come down to a styling preference.

For example, when I saw the 209 up close, I was not green with envy. Besides the brake calipers vs. the 209, I think the 208 still looks great inside and out. Now take that argument from old E to new E class and I'd have to say I prefer the new E much more just on looks (plus it's getting the blower).

I think MB has good reason not to add the supercharger. Like you stated, they want to keep this model lower in the pecking order. If they had added the supercharger, I might be pushed to sell mine.

The other positive is I'm thinking AMG numbers on the 208 will be far less than on the 209 since the 209 is getting the AMG treatment so early in its life cycle. In pure production numbers or even a % of total production, the 208 CLK55 will be more rare than a 55 209.

Whether or not that makes is a better buy long term..... too early to tell. I would guess it will come down to popularity of the body style over time in the end. That always seems to be the kicker.
Old 11-03-2002, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Re: White elephant or classic?

Originally posted by ima55r2
Is the 208 clk55 going to be a minor footnote with only two years of production for the coupe and the cab?
My crystall-ball tells me that your CLK55 AMG and mine will be classic collectors' cars, because they are rare and unique, -
they are well designed/engineered/built.

With this said, I extended my MB premium warranty to 100,000 miles.

PS:
Let's hope, that there is not too much lead in my crystall-ball
Old 11-05-2002, 04:07 PM

2004 Maserati Coupe
Re: good reply!

Originally posted by bodyart27@aol
I feel the same. If the 209 stays NA (normally aspirated), and the hp difference a mute point, it will come down to a styling preference....
I am actually a fan of the 209, but agree that the new styling of the E is a much better improvement. I think they really did a good job with the new design. Given the performance of the new E55, I was considering buying one, but I don’t need a 4 door car yet.

Regarding CLK vs. CL, what I find funny is that the 2002 AMG models had the CLK 55 with much better performance (by a wide margin) than the CL. Yet there was a many-month long waiting list for both AMG models. Given the exclusivity of the AMG lines, and the waiting lists, I would doubt there would be any cannibalization of CL sales if MB added a blower to the CLK for 2003 and beyond. Anyway, if MB is indeed moving the CLK down market, it is in contrast to its earlier “strategy”.

Personally, I think if they made the CLK as fast as the CL (but not faster), it would still allow the CL to retain its uber coupe status. The CLK would require more horsepower, but perhaps not a blower. Compared to the CLK, the CL would have the same performance while providing a much more “refined and distinguished” interior. Who knows…
Old 11-07-2002, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
A few other factors going for the 208 - 55:

1. Tested as the Safety Car for the 1999 Formula 1 season. The 209 can't claim that.
2. Billed in 2001 as "The Quickest Production Mercedes-Benz Ever Built". NO 209 will be able to claim that.
3. MB quotes numerous performance figures, but actually quoted 1/4 mile acceleration for the first time on the 208- 55...13.33 @109.8mph.

It was the first 'stock' MB to break the 5.0 second 0-60 run, using MB's own numbers.

.....obviously, there are now more choices in the AMG lineup (SLK32, W211E55, SL55 etc.) that will accelerate more quickly.

I believe the 2001-2002 CLK55's will have their place in MB history.
Old 11-07-2002, 05:25 PM

All of them, as much as I can...
With only 125 CLK55AMG cabs delivered in the USA (according to MBusa), I think the 208cab has a good chance of becoming a classic.
(wishful thinking, of course)
Old 11-07-2002, 07:56 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK55
production #s?

where on mbusa did you see those stats?
Old 11-10-2002, 07:38 AM

Actually, it was in a discussion about production numbers in benzsport and someone had extensively researched the numbers. At the time (sometime in June...)it was at 125 or 126. I got one of the last 2 in my dealership so I wanted to find out where mine fell in the numbers. I called customer service in Montvale, NJ and they confirmed that indeed only 125 were delivered (sold and titled). I'll see if I can dig up the thread.
Old 11-10-2002, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
MBUSA is NOT forthcoming with productions stats:

NOTHING BUT RED TAPE!!

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...on+numbers+clk

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...on+numbers+clk
Old 11-12-2002, 02:54 PM

Hello Karl.

Now I remember. You've jogged my memory. I had called customer service at Rallye Motors (my dealer) not MBUSA, to ask about this. My salesman, Paul B. called me at the time and said that 125 cabs were sold in the US as of March 2002. They actually offered to take back my car as I got it for slightly under list in their rush to make room for the '03s. Maybe they had someone looking for one at any cost...: ) Now as far as the reliability of the stat, I don't know.

I agree about MBUSA; I was supposed to be in a waiting list of participants for a AMG event at Lime Rock this summer and nobody called me even as I later found out they had a dismal turnout.
Old 11-27-2002, 09:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 GLK250 BlueTec & 2009 ML320 BlueTec
Talking

I read on the November issue of Mercedes Enthusiat magazine, that AMG has plans to built all his cars with Supercar status, which means 400+ HP. To start the SL55 AMG and the CL55AMG, Supercharged @497 HP. Probably soon the other ones will follow.
Don't underestimate AMG!