CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Decisions Decisions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2007 | 02:20 PM

CLK63 BS AUDI S5 AUDI Q7 4.2 SLine C230 Sport 2010 ML 350
Decisions Decisions

I know this is in the wrong forum but I need a broader opinion.
I have a Red BS coming end of this month.
I am having second thoughts there are so many cars out there in the same price range. A few of my picks Audi R8?, Aston Martin Vantage?, Used Gallardo?, or any used supercar in this price range.
I'm not a big Porsche guy so they're out.
When I saw this car at the NY Auto Show I was frozen in motion for 5 minutes. I got on the cell immediately and called my dealer gave the deposit next day.
I am buying the car (finance) planning to put down 30-40k (lease would be $3500 a month - out of the quesion)
Is this stupid? My concerns are this car not exotic looking enough for $138K
(does it look like a $138K car?) and the horrendous resale value of MB's as of late. When I went to trade in my '04 SL55 when I heard the number offered I looked around for everyone to start laughing but no one was laughing except me. (more like crying) I'm afraid that in a year or two w new CLK coming out this car will be worthless and will not cover what I owe. Any thoughts on all points would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by JT55; 11-12-2007 at 02:24 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 11-12-2007 | 03:36 PM

E63
Fwiw

No, I don't think it looks like a 138K car. This to me, would be a car to have in the garage and drive on occasions, definately not a daily driver. You will be buying rear tires every quarter at what, around $700-800 if that. I love my car while it is now not the hottest thing going, nothing in MB will be the hottest thing for very long. To this day I have yet to see anotherCLK63 Cab in all of Atlanta and I have had mine for over a year. Just as a side note I got a trade in quote on it about 3-4 months back and dealer would only give 72K for it. Now thats a drop you will experience as well, no way around it especially with new models coming out. If you like it as much as you said, buy it and never look back. It is a sweet ride. Just my .02
Old 11-12-2007 | 03:50 PM

No longer car shopping...
Originally Posted by JT55
I know this is in the wrong forum but I need a broader opinion.
I have a Red BS coming end of this month.
I am having second thoughts there are so many cars out there in the same price range. A few of my picks Audi R8?, Aston Martin Vantage?, Used Gallardo?, or any used supercar in this price range.
I'm not a big Porsche guy so they're out.
When I saw this car at the NY Auto Show I was frozen in motion for 5 minutes. I got on the cell immediately and called my dealer gave the deposit next day.
I am buying the car (finance) planning to put down 30-40k (lease would be $3500 a month - out of the quesion)
Is this stupid? My concerns are this car not exotic looking enough for $138K
(does it look like a $138K car?) and the horrendous resale value of MB's as of late. When I went to trade in my '04 SL55 when I heard the number offered I looked around for everyone to start laughing but no one was laughing except me. (more like crying) I'm afraid that in a year or two w new CLK coming out this car will be worthless and will not cover what I owe. Any thoughts on all points would be greatly appreciated.
I think that time has demonstrated that even the high end cars are not respected enough to retain their initial lofty values throughout the years. Looks at the ENTIRE 65 line for support of this postulation. A year out, most have lost the $50K premium they had to their (slightly less lofty AMG bretheren, the 55's). While it's true that all car depreciate, it seems that Benz's are (like the Beemers) "taking it on the chin" (literally as it feels like someone has decked you when you get the trade in figures, right?"

If your looing to drop $125-$150K into a car, the Aston-Martins appear the ONLY way to go right now. Of course, I do not have anywhere near that kind of cash for my next toy but if I did, I would be considering a used SL65 or an AM. The Audi R8 is by ALL means the Best of the lot but (of course0 you can't even get one of them for another year. teh AM is only about a 3 months wait (as I understand it).
Old 11-12-2007 | 08:01 PM

03 CLK 55 AMG, IMCO muffler/Magnaflow tips, KW V1 coilovers, 19" Petrol Metrix Wheels
the black series is much rarer than the normal AMG. i have a feeling it will also hold its value much better.
Old 11-21-2007 | 11:04 AM

E63
Originally Posted by AMGOODNESS
the black series is much rarer than the normal AMG. i have a feeling it will also hold its value much better.
You may want to read this thread...

"FYI Fletcher Jones called me with new price on BS"
Old 11-21-2007 | 11:30 AM
RDD

03 M3 coupe 6MT, 05 A6 (wife + kid's)
Originally Posted by AMGOODNESS
It will only hold its value if you don't drive it and even then it will take a hit. In a couple of years MBZ will come out with a better CLK as is always the case.
Old 11-22-2007 | 12:29 PM

2006 CLK350
we are mercedes owners. we know its a great car, but a mercedes is a mercedes and it will drop fast. if i were you, i'd get a used gallardo, or the R8.
The gallardo's value already took a huge hit, plus its lambo. i dont care if a gallardo is slower than a BS, i'd still rather have a gallardo. A R8 is just hot, i'm sure thats slower than a BS too but, i think that wins in the looks department. Get a black series if your a real driving fanatic, but get the others if you want fun/ looks/ and a great car. dont rule out a CL63 either, great car, great power, great looks.

Last edited by iguess; 11-22-2007 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-23-2007 | 02:25 PM

03 CLK 55 AMG, IMCO muffler/Magnaflow tips, KW V1 coilovers, 19" Petrol Metrix Wheels
despite the hit i think i would still take the BS over the R8 or a Lambo. it is just much more practical and i like the fact that is is somewhat of a sleeper.
Old 11-24-2007 | 05:22 AM

1 V10, 2 V8
i would take the gallardo or aston martin for that price. it's like this. i am not spending $140K for a non-exotic mercedes. I would buy a Maserati over the S class. SLRs are a different story.
Old 11-24-2007 | 09:35 PM

2002 CLK55 Cabriolet (DEAD: 1989 300E, 1984 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible)
Given the absurd MSRPs these days and the Cadillac-like precipitous drops in value once it leaves the lot, I honestly can't imagine buying anything that isn't used. And by "used" I count 1-owner, extremely-low-mileage cars that are effectively "like new".

To me that just seems like the way to go. If you can pick up the same car in a year or two and it only has 4,000 miles on it but costs 2/3rds the price as-new, why would anyone consider spending $138k just to get those extra first few thousand miles?
Old 11-26-2007 | 07:42 PM

riot you were definitely the voice of reason with that post. after reading that i know that is exactly what i would do too if i had the money. you know you are going to save at least 20% if you can manage to wait a year.