CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

AMG posers

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 49 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 clk55 AMG
Originally Posted by Roman Moronie
The only problem with this picture is the color of the car, that crossfire SRT-6 is as much an AMG as your car or mine, next time you see one ask the guy to pop the hood, authentic AMG plaque on engine signed by the builder just like any other AMG car out there.
Dude your trippin hella hard....
Old 10-01-2008, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Originally Posted by Stiggs
So an SRT-6 crossfire has an AMG badge on the engine? Seriously? Thats not right.
No. The SRT-6 has a blank spot on the Supercharger where the plate would have gone, had it been a C32.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:10 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by Roman Moronie
The only problem with this picture is the color of the car, that crossfire SRT-6 is as much an AMG as your car or mine, next time you see one ask the guy to pop the hood, authentic AMG plaque on engine signed by the builder just like any other AMG car out there.
BUT that's not a SRT-6.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
your mom
Just saw another rockin AMG....S430 "Dub Edition" AMG

I was drooooolin

Oddly, I also saw an E46 "M3" that had only 2 exhaust tips (same side), no side gills, no fender flares and was an automatic today too.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2002 c240
Almost ALL used auto dealers put an AMG badge on 430's now days. Mine came from the dealer like that also. Generally I like to de-badge all my cars completely, but I decided to have some fun with mine for a little while so I left mine with the badge on, however the day I bought it I had gone to a hobby/craft store and bought a set of chrome letters from the school supply isle and behind the amg logo in chrome I stuck "-ish" to the end of it.

I lol'ed for a bit, then de-baged the car
Old 10-01-2008, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by The Jury
Almost ALL used auto dealers put an AMG badge on 430's now days. Mine came from the dealer like that also. Generally I like to de-badge all my cars completely, but I decided to have some fun with mine for a little while so I left mine with the badge on, however the day I bought it I had gone to a hobby/craft store and bought a set of chrome letters from the school supply isle and behind the amg logo in chrome I stuck "-ish" to the end of it.

I lol'ed for a bit, then de-baged the car
Pics?
Old 10-02-2008, 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 Mercedes Benz E220D/GONE!JUNK!Current GLC Coupe 350d 4 Matic
///

Pics?
why?
Old 10-02-2008, 01:21 AM

2003 CLK500
I seen a Dodge Caravan with a MB Hood Emblem, on its back liftgate. Light changed before I could grab my camera, but would've loved to have that pic. People are so lame! LOL!
Old 10-02-2008, 01:42 AM

Benz
I saw a Kia Sorento with one of those aftermarket grills and the mercedes emblem on it. I only saw it from the front so i dont know if they debadged the back and put an emblem there too. I think they're trying to fool ppl to think that its a ML its ridiculous
Old 10-02-2008, 05:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by BelaMeca
why?
Oh come on....you know you'd love to see that pic! ///AMG ish. At least he eventually took the badge off.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

///

Oh come on....you know you'd love to see that pic! ///AMG ish. At least he eventually took the badge off.
Lol
ok...fine.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 237 Likes on 184 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55
Saw this guy parked at the dealership today. Sure enough....the badge is even crooked.

I've seen a handful of R129's with the AMG badge. Mine even had one when I first picked it up. Got a little creative with it since then.

Old 10-04-2008, 06:35 AM

Chrysler crossfire srt6
I'm not in favor of "identity crisis" badging,
but I'm going to have to call it on the "not an AMG" SRT6 thing. As an owner of one, I can tell you that the engine IS the exact same one as in the slk32 AMG, hand built by the same guys in the same plant, with the same "one man per engine" policy as on a "real" benz. there IS an empty spot where the normal plaque would go, but as they wanted to badge it a Chrysler, it has been left empty. Some clowns put their own "AMG" badges there though. The transmission is also from the SLK.
The supercharger has AMG stamped on it, most of the pipes do, as do various other bits and pieces of the car.
By the sounds of it, that gives me MORE right to badge it "AMG" than some of the guys here....not that I would. I chose the car over a SLK 350 as I actually prefer the styling, making me certifiably weird.
As an aside:
That horrible thing in the pics a while back isn't an SRT6, but a standard Crossfire, as it doesn't have a fixed spoiler.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:56 AM

clk 500 (wifey's); 350Z roadster (daily driver); 350Z coupe (track car)
^ can't wait to see the responses to this!
Old 10-04-2008, 09:53 AM

2003 CLK500
I don't feel that the SRT6 would be posing. If its AMG under the hood, then it deserves the badge. The only true purpose of the badge, is to identify what can't be seen, just like the model numbers; 320, 430, 500, 550, 55, 600, 63, ect. If you see someone with a 320, are you going to ask them what's under the hood? No, you already know. Thats it! If it was built with an AMG, then it IS an AMG, regardless of what chassis its in.
Old 10-04-2008, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 237 Likes on 184 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55
Slapping a Chrysler badge on an AMG motor is almost like reverse posing.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:14 PM

Chrysler crossfire srt6
cool, as long as we're clear. I feel I've defended my cars' honour adequately
Any other takers?
FrankW, I'm lookin' at YOU!
Old 10-04-2008, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

///

Do you think that maybe AMG refused to put the plaque on a Chrysler?Knowing how bad the reliability is,maybe they didn't want to put a plaque on the engine.The Engine is great no doubt,but when the car is in the shop a milion times for some other issues,non related to the AMG motor,people might still think it is a piece of Crap because it's not reliable otherwise?
Ohoh!
Let's get it ooooon!!!
Old 10-04-2008, 10:25 PM

2008 CLK 350, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster
Do you think that maybe AMG refused to put the plaque on a Chrysler?Knowing how bad the reliability is,maybe they didn't want to put a plaque on the engine.The Engine is great no doubt,but when the car is in the shop a milion times for some other issues,non related to the AMG motor,people might still think it is a piece of Crap because it's not reliable otherwise?
Ohoh!
Let's get it ooooon!!!
I think AMG removed the badge because they original chassis was out of date as far as MB production. The decision was made to go all V8s for AMG vehicles and I really believe that over estimated the amount of engines needed for the 2005 model year. Looks like Chrysler may have bailed them out on that one. I love my SRT6; I have driven the SLK32 and the C32; I believe the engine suits the Chrysler better. The Crossfire looks better also.

Oh...My SRT6 has never been in the shop at all; except for scheduled services.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

///

Originally Posted by khearon
I think AMG removed the badge because they original chassis was out of date as far as MB production. The decision was made to go all V8s for AMG vehicles and I really believe that over estimated the amount of engines needed for the 2005 model year. Looks like Chrysler may have bailed them out on that one. I love my SRT6; I have driven the SLK32 and the C32; I believe the engine suits the Chrysler better. The Crossfire looks better also.

Oh...My SRT6 has never been in the shop at all; except for scheduled services.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:55 AM

Chrysler crossfire srt6
What components might have problems aside from the AMG engine? The AMG transmission?The SLK platform, suspension and drivetrain? Not a lot left really.
Hell, the interior even shares most of the same switchgear.
It behooves you to educate yourself before you speak.
also:
for the hell of it, some pics of my babies![IMG][IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-05-2008, 01:56 AM

Chrysler crossfire srt6
....or maybe not.
how the heck do I post images?
Old 10-05-2008, 05:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

///

Originally Posted by wolfman101
What components might have problems aside from the AMG engine? The AMG transmission?The SLK platform, suspension and drivetrain? Not a lot left really.
Hell, the interior even shares most of the same switchgear.
It behooves you to educate yourself before you speak.
also:
for the hell of it, some pics of my babies![IMG][IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
Dude,
I do not need to educate my self.
You are not driving a Benz.
And if you want to compare MB to Chrysler reliability,please go ahead make my day.The SRT6 does not share most of it's components with the MB AMG,some yes.They have invested money into puting left over engines into the SRT6 because they didnt know what to do with them.By doing that they have sacrificed even more quality materials on the rest of the car.Please if anyone has ever sat in one of the Crossfires you will know that the car feels like it was made out of LEGO!Heck i own a CSRT8,i love the srt models,but i never compare my car with a MB vehicle even it shares many parts or better said it has many parts as a part of the dna....I really wonder why,there is no plaque on the Engine saying AMG and why there is no sig?
as i said,because they know these cars are POS and they do not diserve to wear one!Now go cry if you like,because the truth does hurt.
And no need to post pics,we all know how the Blender...ehhh i mean Crossfire looks like!
Old 10-05-2008, 09:08 AM

Chrysler crossfire srt6
"Mercedes leading manumatic 5 speed transmission","approximately 3000 of them coming off Karmann's production line in Osnabrueck Germany"--http://wikicars.org/en/Chrysler_Crossfire_SRT6

"pre-2003 SLK platform"--http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Crossfire#SRT-6

"The only available transmission is an M-B five-speed automatic","The hand-me-down multilink rear and control-arm front suspensions have been heavily revised, with springs and dampers that are some 40 percent stiffer than the regular Crossfire's."----http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/coupes/0409_crossfire_srt6/index.html

"AMG drivetrain"--http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=102166

" recirculating ball steering, which is devoid of feel and certainty. It's part of the penalty the SRT-6 pays for being a hand-me-down."--http://editorial.countrycars.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=9996&vf=18

Right. So what we have here is an AMG engine,AMG transmission, SLK suspension,SLK steering,SLK platform,the whole thing assembled in the Mercedes factory in Germany, and a significant amount of interior ported straight over too. Seriously pull up pics of both, and put them side by side.
They used to be sold out of Benz dealers,as well as Chrysler ones, and most owners still get theirs serviced there, as the Chrysler techs don't have a clue what to do with what is essentially a Merc with an American hot-rod body kit.
How is this not more Benz than not?
I expect evidence-based reasoning.

In answer to your question:the most likely reason there is no plaque on the engine is the same as for why the official figures are 19bhp under the actual performance(look it up on wikicars)...Benz insisted that Chrysler downplay all similarities so as to not undercut the much more expensive slk32AMG, with a cheaper car that performed identically.

As an aside, you will get no argument from me that the regular crossfires are rubbish, and I wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:03 AM

clk 500 (wifey's); 350Z roadster (daily driver); 350Z coupe (track car)
Dude,
I do not need to educate my self.
You are not driving a Benz.
And if you want to compare MB to Chrysler reliability,please go ahead make my day.The SRT6 does not share most of it's components with the MB AMG,some yes.They have invested money into puting left over engines into the SRT6 because they didnt know what to do with them.By doing that they have sacrificed even more quality materials on the rest of the car.Please if anyone has ever sat in one of the Crossfires you will know that the car feels like it was made out of LEGO!Heck i own a CSRT8,i love the srt models,but i never compare my car with a MB vehicle even it shares many parts or better said it has many parts as a part of the dna....I really wonder why,there is no plaque on the Engine saying AMG and why there is no sig?
as i said,because they know these cars are POS and they do not diserve to wear one!Now go cry if you like,because the truth does hurt.
And no need to post pics,we all know how the Blender...ehhh i mean Crossfire looks like!
There we go!!!! Just surprised it took so long for the poo slinging to begin!!!!
And of course don't forget all the "but you cant get into the AMG private lounge" stuff. That will surely put him in his place

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 49 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: AMG posers