CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

AMG posers

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 49 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by bigben320e
Just a technicality...you are right not factory, but my point was it would qualify to bear the badge if one wanted to put in on correct?
Seems like a gray area to me. I would have to defer to what the rest of the board thinks.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Definitely a gray area, but I would say no. I was reading a thread about a C63 owner who was cleaning out his spare tire well and realized that even the compact spare that they have is AMG. The AMG treatment is more than an engine.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63s & CLK63
This is a no win issue as everyones opinion is right/wrong depending on which side of the street you are standing on. My friend had the dealer add his badge because he thought it "balanced" the look on the trunk because the CLK500 was on the left and the right looked bare with nothing. Please don't even go there because I still give him a rash of crap about it. He couldn't care less about posing and he will be the first to tell anyone if asked (and he has been) that he doesn't have an AMG model, just the appearance pkg.

As to Stiggs point about if it doesn't have the engine and wasn't put there by the factory it shouldn't be allowed to have a badge then what about BMW owners who have the Dinan badge on the trunk? It didn't come from the factory and if you add enough cosmetic trinkets it qualifies from Dinan to have the badge without any engine upgrades. So you would tell them they shouldn't badge their cars?

Last edited by David_AMG; 08-14-2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
92 500e, 95 E34 525I Touring
Back in the ol days of AMG, you could not order the badge unless you had 3 other AMG options on your car as well. We w124 guys have since adopted this method of designating what can and can not be considered an AMG.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by David_AMG

As to Stiggs point about if it doesn't have the engine it and wasn't put there by the factory it shouldn't be allowed to have a badge then what about BMW owners who have the Dinan badge on the trunk? It didn't come from the factory and if you add enough cosmetic trinkets it qualifies from Dinan to have the badge without any engine upgrades. So you would tell them they shouldn't badge their cars?
Can't say about BMW's, I only own a Benz. Not sure what the school of thought is on Dinans, but I would say since they are two different manufacturers why compare? Apples and oranges maybe. Lets just stick to AMG for my opinions of posing.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by bigben320e
Just a technicality...you are right not factory, but my point was it would qualify to bear the badge if one wanted to put in on correct?
Ben, we could go on all day with the hypothetical questions. In reality, it would be extremely costly to perform an AMG motor swap, considering real AMG cars would probably cost less than the difference between a non-AMG and the genuine article.

Therefore, I would gladly take up an offering to create a custom badge for the hack/job:

/////MORON
Old 08-14-2010, 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by Chappy
Ben, we could go on all day with the hypothetical questions. In reality, it would be extremely costly to perform an AMG motor swap, considering real AMG cars would probably cost less than the difference between a non-AMG and the genuine article.

Therefore, I would gladly take up an offering to create a custom badge for the hack/job:

/////MORON
...........anothr classic Chappy zinger
Old 08-14-2010, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
This is a no win issue as everyones opinion is right/wrong depending on which side of the street you are standing on. My friend had the dealer add his badge because he thought it "balanced" the look on the trunk because the CLK500 was on the left and the right looked bare with nothing. Please don't even go there because I still give him a rash of crap about it. He couldn't care less about posing and he will be the first to tell anyone if asked (and he has been) that he doesn't have an AMG model, just the appearance pkg.

As to Stiggs point about if it doesn't have the engine and wasn't put there by the factory it shouldn't be allowed to have a badge then what about BMW owners who have the Dinan badge on the trunk? It didn't come from the factory and if you add enough cosmetic trinkets it qualifies from Dinan to have the badge without any engine upgrades. So you would tell them they shouldn't badge their cars?
You are comparing apples to oranges here.When Dinan starts building motors then the discussion of badges can begin.Dinan is in the same grouping as Kleeman, Brabus ETC.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55

/////MORON
lol
Good one Chappy! Maybe we should skip all these hypothetical questions and just get back to making fun of posers!
Old 08-14-2010, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)

/////MORON
Chappy, understand I would never advocate doing such motor swaps, personally way too much money involved. I just asked the question due to harrowers post mentioning swaps and AMG engines for sell.

At the end of the day, I would just get an AMG and keep rolling.

Originally Posted by Stiggs
lol
Good one Chappy! Maybe we should skip all these hypothetical questions and just get back to making fun of posers!
By all means, let's get back to business!
Old 08-14-2010, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts
AMG
We're on the same page Ben.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:04 PM

2011 STI Sedan

"Cosmetic trinkets"?!?....You can not compare Dinan to AMG! Dinan is an aftermarket tuner...AMG is an in house tuner.In order to get a Dinan badge on any BMW you need to accumulate 10 points from REAL Dinan accesories, for example a Dinan supercharger is worth 10 points,Dinan full exhaust or big brake kit is only 3 points,Dinan pedal pads or short shift kits are worth only 1 point, even a Dinan chip/ECU is only worth 2 points.So there is NO "cosmetic trinkets", who ever has a Dinan badge on there BMW has a real Dinan tuned BMW.They make sure of it.So the point here is...if you drive a regular Mercedes with an AMG bodykit and wheels it is NOT an AMG tuned Benz and IS a posermobile lol.

Last edited by doberzus; 08-14-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by doberzus
"Cosmetic trinkets"?!?....You can not compare Dinan to AMG! Dinan is an aftermarket tuner...AMG is an in house tuner.In order to get a Dinan badge on any BMW you need to accumulate 10 points from REAL Dinan accesories, for example a Dinan supercharger is worth 10 points,Dinan full exhaust or big brake kit is only 3 points,Dinan pedal pads or short shift kits are worth only 1 point, even a Dinan chip/ECU is only worth 2 points.So there is NO "cosmetic trinkets", who ever has a Dinan badge on there BMW has a real Dinan tuned BMW.They make sure of it.So the point here is...if you drive a regular Mercedes with an AMG bodykit and wheels it is NOT an AMG tuned Benz and IS a posermobile lol.
Not to stir the pot again but don't they make fake Dinan badges? Could there be Dinan posers out there?
Old 08-15-2010, 11:12 AM

2011 STI Sedan
Originally Posted by Stiggs
Not to stir the pot again but don't they make fake Dinan badges? Could there be Dinan posers out there?
Actually they don't lol, I looked around for fun and couldn't find any! Dinan is serious about there products and what cars they go on. The local authorized Dinan dealer inspects your car and tallies up your points and only then do they order the badge for you. Yeah its that strict lol. But who knows maybe there are Dinan posers out there ha ha ......those idiots
Old 08-15-2010, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63, 2007 GL 450
Actually they don't lol, I looked around for fun and couldn't find any! Dinan is serious about there products and what cars they go on. The local authorized Dinan dealer inspects your car and tallies up your points and only then do they order the badge for you. Yeah its that strict lol. But who knows maybe there are Dinan posers out there ha ha ......those idiots
Here you go....not even copy but an original!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-D...ts_Accessories
Old 08-15-2010, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63, 2007 GL 450
Originally Posted by harrower
Here you go....not even copy but an original!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-D...ts_Accessories
and if you are really desperate, you could one with all the papers etc for a mere $400!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DINAN...ts_Accessories
Old 08-15-2010, 02:33 PM

2011 STI Sedan
and if you are really desperate, you could one with all the papers etc for a mere $400!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DINAN...ts_Accessories
Like i said, who knew lol. Wow $400 for a badge?!? wow those must be some very desperate posers who buy that.....so how much horsepower does the $400 Dinan badge add? anyone know?
Old 08-15-2010, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63, 2007 GL 450
Like i said, who knew lol. Wow $400 for a badge?!? wow those must be some very desperate posers who buy that.....so how much horsepower does the $400 Dinan badge add? anyone know?
as much as the ///AMG, MPower, Brabus, Carlsson ones do...guess if you want to have a exclusive badge you will need to go Vath or even EvoSport
Old 08-15-2010, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

92 500e, 95 E34 525I Touring
So if you drop an AMG engine in a non AMG car, I would say the badge is acceptable. However, the absence of an AMG badge would increase the cool factor by about 10 fold.

Then again, if someone in a real AMG sees an AMG badge on a seemingly non AMG vehicle, they will be more inclined to put them in their place. Now imagine said car actually DOES have an AMG engine inside it. It makes for a double reverse psychology sleeper effect. haha
Old 08-15-2010, 08:45 PM

2011 STI Sedan
Originally Posted by rivcal4life
So if you drop an AMG engine in a non AMG car, I would say the badge is acceptable. However, the absence of an AMG badge would increase the cool factor by about 10 fold.

Then again, if someone in a real AMG sees an AMG badge on a seemingly non AMG vehicle, they will be more inclined to put them in their place. Now imagine said car actually DOES have an AMG engine inside it. It makes for a double reverse psychology sleeper effect. haha
IF someone actually does put an AMG engine in a non AMG car then yes, I would say they deserve a badge IMO, as we all know the engine IS the heart of any AMG vehicle....but +10 on the no badge, super fast yet no one has to know it ha ha It's so much cheaper to buy a real ///AMG though.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by rivcal4life

Funny stuff
Old 08-21-2010, 04:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63, 2007 GL 450
even more ways posers can make their cars look like the real deal...will it ever end?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...0796&viewitem=
Old 08-21-2010, 08:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W209 2003 CLK55 Coupe
If someone drops an AMG engine in their non-AMG car, their VIN still won't get them into the AMG Lounge!
The VIN is the real deal.
Put all the badges on the trunk lid or fenders that you want. You are not fooling anyone that knows the difference.

I found a CLK 320 AMG in my neighborhood last week, and he slowed way down after I passed him. I wish I had my camera with me.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63s & CLK63
even more ways posers can make their cars look like the real deal...will it ever end?
That is just plain pathetic.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:34 PM

2011 STI Sedan
For real? ...that right there is just going tooooooooo far.... And i quote " Improve the looks of your car for years to come " and wtf?! " Now is the time to give your car an unique look " umm excuse me?! Yeah a unique POSER look lol. So stock puny brakes and calipers with an AMG sticker on a non-AMG benz? that is just asking for humiliation.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 49 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: AMG posers