CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

CLK55 resonator inlet/outlet sizes?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 10:58 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
CLK55 resonator inlet/outlet sizes?

Does anyone know what size y-pipe I need to replace the resonator on a 01 CLK55? I just nee to know the inlet/outlet sizes. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Does anyone know what size y-pipe I need to replace the resonator on a 01 CLK55? I just nee to know the inlet/outlet sizes. Thanks in advance.
Ahmad ,PTE and I are using the same high flow resonators that are better and replace the stck ones . It is tainless steel as well.I have to go into my exh thread to try and remember the name. Anyway mine is 3" in diameter.

I remember now ,the name of the company is Vibrant. I had recommended them to PTE and he purchased their brand resonator for his Kleemann CLK55.

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...729ff3d6359cf8

This is the one I have and light weight. You'll feel the difference as well. :

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...729ff3d6359cf8

Last edited by ProjectC55; 02-22-2008 at 04:06 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Thanks for the info Carl but I think I'm just going to replace the resonator with straight pipe (y-pipe) to see how it sounds and save weight. Thats weird though, my CLK55 has two inlets and one outlet so neither of those would work on my car. I guess PTE's car has one inlet and one outlet I'm pretty sur ethe outlet on mine is 3" but I'm not sure what the inlet diameters are (2 of them)

Last edited by blackbenzz; 02-22-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'07 Carrera S, '31 A 5W hot rod, 4Runner. Sold CLK55
I replaced my resonator with a straight pipe at a local shop, I'm petty sure it was 3" in and out. Subtle change but I was happy with it.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:58 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Why does mine have two inlets and one outlet???
Old 02-22-2008, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the info Carl but I think I'm just going to replace the resonator with straight pipe (y-pipe) to see how it sounds and save weight. Thats weird though, my CLK55 has two inlets and one outlet so neither of those would work on my car. I guess PTE's car has one inlet and one outlet I'm pretty sur ethe outlet on mine is 3" but I'm not sure what the inlet diameters are (2 of them)
Nope. My exh stck is the same exact as the CLK55 except for the muffler I believe where I think you may have 2 inlets. I know the E55 W210 does.

Modded, PTE and I both have two pipes leaving each side of the motor ,two down pipes leading to a Y pipe and one 3" reso leading to 3" pipe going all the way back to the muffler.

His muffler stck , has a 2 inlet side while the C43 muffler has 1 inlet and dual outlet. Other than the muffler,stck for stck you exh system is exactly like the C43's. My stck Reso had tow inlets and one outlet as well,they r the sam part #. All the other AMG's are different.

Trust me bro,PTE and I pretty much have the same exh setup where we are using one BIG reso instead of the heavy non efficient one that was originally on the car.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Carl, you have given me motivation to go under the car and take pics of my resonator. It will have to wait til at least tomorrow though. Just finished up cleaning my air filters and took my old MAF off. New MAF goes in tomorrow with freshly cleaned filters Then I tackle this resonator issue.

Edit: I couldnt wait til tomorrow. Went and looked under the car with a flashlight. This car must have a full aftermarket exhaust (it had a stock muffler when I bought it though ). The kleemann headers come down and connect into one pipe, then they seperate and go through what looks like 2 race cats, then immediately into a huge resonator, then one 3" pipe back to the muffler. When I say huge resonator I'm talking like 2.5 feet or maybe more. I may just have to redesign the whole exhaust. Gotta get it up on a lift to take a closer look. You have any pics of your exhaust system for me to compare to?

Last edited by blackbenzz; 02-22-2008 at 11:43 PM.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Carl, you have given me motivation to go under the car and take pics of my resonator. It will have to wait til at least tomorrow though. Just finished up cleaning my air filters and took my old MAF off. New MAF goes in tomorrow with freshly cleaned filters Then I tackle this resonator issue.

Edit: I couldnt wait til tomorrow. Went and looked under the car with a flashlight. This car must have a full aftermarket exhaust (it had a stock muffler when I bought it though ). The kleemann headers come down and connect into one pipe, then they seperate and go through what looks like 2 race cats, then immediately into a huge resonator, then one 3" pipe back to the muffler. When I say huge resonator I'm talking like 2.5 feet or maybe more. I may just have to redesign the whole exhaust. Gotta get it up on a lift to take a closer look. You have any pics of your exhaust system for me to compare to?
I will have to put the car on a lift Ahmad but maybe I can give you a good description ,I'll try.

As you know I have the Kleemann headers also. You'll see W202/208 stenciled on your headers.

1.The drivers side header has a down pipe and a crossover pipie that meets up and runs paralell to the passengers side down pipe.

2.Both of these pipes meet and run parallel, with each side having a high flow 2.5" race catalytic converter made by METAL CATS.

3.These TWO cats then connect to a magnaflow 2.5" to 3" "Y" pipe. Basically the to inlets are 2.5" and the bottom of the "Y" (outlet) is 3".

4.I have a SINGLE 3" Stainless steel pipe connected and then running straight back to my stock muffler.

5.I had to leave maybe a foot of stck piping on the stck muffler and had to have my guy open the mouth of it to receive the end of the 3" pipe. The exh I must say is the best mod I've done to this car and the car responds.

I must tell you that your stck intake box is killing your car and I don't understand y you don't get rid of it or thermotec it. It receives too much heat aand the entrances to the stck air tubes are blocked from receiving direct air flow from the hood. Not only that the openings to the air tubes are slightly less than 2.5". I now have TWO 3" openings feeding my car forced cool air.

Why do you think Kleeman uses the CLKE430 intake setup on their kit as opposed to the crappy AMG setup. Much less heat,and better cool airflow.
I need to show you my system which has really woken up my car. Read the thread I started in the C43 forum about my car crushing the stck speed limiter and you will see pic of a Kleeman setup with the E430 airbow setup. I'm telling you it makes a difference when you add ram air to this setup which I have done.

The high rpm and mid range power has woken up and it is a forced ram air setup I have now which is similar to the Audi R4 v8.

Your car will run higher trap speeds with my current setup guaranteed.

Last edited by ProjectC55; 02-23-2008 at 11:51 AM.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:46 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Thanks for all that info! I just finished putting the MAF in and it sound sliek your exhaust setup is diferent than mine. I will get it up on jackstands tomorrow if the weather clears up and take pics of it.

The AMG intake I have on there is just for show. I had to drill two hole sin the MAF to get it to work but that wont be a problem switching to a new setup since the house will cover the holes. I agree that the stock inlets are TINY and obstructed by the hood. I will go look for your thread now and see how you have yours set up. I dont want to pull hot ait in from under the hood, need to find a way to get more cold air forced in. Thanks for the help!
Old 02-23-2008, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for all that info! I just finished putting the MAF in and it sound sliek your exhaust setup is diferent than mine. I will get it up on jackstands tomorrow if the weather clears up and take pics of it.

The AMG intake I have on there is just for show. I had to drill two hole sin the MAF to get it to work but that wont be a problem switching to a new setup since the house will cover the holes. I agree that the stock inlets are TINY and obstructed by the hood. I will go look for your thread now and see how you have yours set up. I dont want to pull hot ait in from under the hood, need to find a way to get more cold air forced in. Thanks for the help!
I got rid of my foglight and the hose is connected to a BSR airduct that I installed in that area. So I am only getting cold air fed into my intake. I do have another 3" hose feeding the box from where my passengers side intake hose used to be. It's three inches. I was ablst to remove the stupid plastic piece that was holding the stck airtube in that area next to the radiater which gave me 3.5 or less inches of clearance which was perfect for my other 3"hose. So both hoses are pressurizing and feeding my airbow nice fresh cool air which adds up to MO POWA! bro. Instaed of 11.4 @ 120mph you should pic up a couple more mph with this setup. I say easily 5+ mph more. Made a tremendous improvement on my car and I really noticed it when my car was running against NYC_SRT8's modded 300C(12.5@112mph 1/4 mile) at speeds over the century mark. Car just pulls and pulls and pulls!!!! I even passed him from behind at one point when we were reaching about 135mph+ and I continued till I pinned the speedo. I left impressed knowing that the intake mod created positive results that I don't think I would have gotten with the stck AMG airbox modded due to it being placed on top of the motor. All that thing does is store heat in he motor and the intake mainfold which is a pure negative.

My next mod will be the VRP cams if Vic will tell me whether they could mod my ME2.0 software for them.

Last edited by ProjectC55; 02-23-2008 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by ProjectC55
I got rid of my foglight and the hose is connected to a BSR airduct that I installed in that area. So I am only getting cold air fed into my intake. I do have another 3" hose feeding the box from where my passengers side intake hose used to be. It's three inches. I was ablst to remove the stupid plastic piece that was holding the stck airtube in that area next to the radiater which gave me 3.5 or less inches of clearance which was perfect for my other 3"hose. So both hoses are pressurizing and feeding my airbow nice fresh cool air which adds up to MO POWA! bro.
That sounds really good! When I was looking at my car it didnt look like there was enough clearance to run a 3" tube down to the fog light area. My Carlsson front bumper has big holes for fogs that I could use as intakes. That sounds ALOT better than my current setup. Did you have any problems with water getting into the airbox?
Old 02-23-2008, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That sounds really good! When I was looking at my car it didnt look like there was enough clearance to run a 3" tube down to the fog light area. My Carlsson front bumper has big holes for fogs that I could use as intakes. That sounds ALOT better than my current setup. Did you have any problems with water getting into the airbox?
I added more to the previous post.

When it's raining I do'nt really drive the car,however I am able to disconnect the hose from the BSR duct and reroute temporarily where it will receive no moisture! I wish I was there to show you how I ran my hoses. Today some time I will show you how I did it. I'm not saying it's the prettiest route,because I don't have that beautiful bumper you own,however my setup has been very effective and the race I had with the modded SRT8 proved my findings.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My whole setup has been inspired by Mbenzman and Speedybenz as we all have or had similar air intake setups. I just feel I improved on Mbenzman's CLK setup by adding some of the principles from Speedy Benz's Ram air intake setup.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All of them!
This is the stock exhaust on the 208 CLK55. hope this helps.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:09 PM

All of them!
Old 02-26-2008, 10:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
^ Thank you! Now everyone can see that the resonator has 2 inlets and one outlet. I have pics of my setup now but it looks almost exactly the ame except for the Kleemann headers (primary cat delete). I have ordered a magnaflow y pipe (2.5" to 3") and will be installing it whenever it gets here. Will try to get sound clips. I'm afraid of deleteing the secondary cats because then the only thing providing back presure would be my eisenmann race muffler
Old 02-26-2008, 11:00 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yo Ahmad!

If you do decide to delete the secondary cats, post sound clips! Need to check out the sound.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Dont you think the loss of backpressure would lose hp though? You already have your resonator deleted? My y-pipe shipped out of PA today so it should be here in time for an install this weekend in the garage .
Old 02-27-2008, 12:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Current: AMG GT-C. Sold: 01 CLK55, 00 ML55, 01 ML55, 06 E55
Let me know how that fits. I might take out my resonator when I install the eisenmann.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Current: AMG GT-C. Sold: 01 CLK55, 00 ML55, 01 ML55, 06 E55
well...you have the kleemann headers...i better just measure mine and see whats up.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

^ Thank you! Now everyone can see that the resonator has 2 inlets and one outlet. I have pics of my setup now but it looks almost exactly the ame except for the Kleemann headers (primary cat delete). I have ordered a magnaflow y pipe (2.5" to 3") and will be installing it whenever it gets here. Will try to get sound clips. I'm afraid of deleteing the secondary cats because then the only thing providing back presure would be my eisenmann race muffler
That's the same exact setup stck,as the C43 Ahmad. That's what I was telling you . Great pics Rich!

Don't delete the secondaries(cats),replace them with 200Cel high flow stainless steel 2.5"cats( Google "METAL CATS"), then immediately follow them with the "Y" pipe you ordered. ( Don't delete them,You will set of a CEL I promise you) After the "Y" pipe you would put in the 3" Vibrant aftermarket resonator which I recommended to you in the post further above and then run 3" pipe all the way to your muffler. You'll feel it and you'll love it.

The "most" important thing in your whole exhaust system will be the placement of that "Y" pipe. It will affect the power of the car. You must place it behind the TWO 2.5" catalytic converters. Very important to place it there.

Last edited by ProjectC55; 02-27-2008 at 06:13 AM.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:25 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by JamE55
Yo Ahmad!

If you do decide to delete the secondary cats, post sound clips! Need to check out the sound.
I took a shot at deleting the resonator today. I had a magnaflow y pipe and alot of 3" piping. Unfortunately I couldnt do it. The 2 inlets of the y pipe were spaced farther than the 2 pipes on my car and the resonator outlet doesnt come out the center I do have a badass sound clip (not sure if it comes through well on video yet) for you though. Its the car revving with the resonator and muffler taken off. It was loud as HELL! The only things I've heard that loud are the muscle cars at the track with straight pipes and I'm being serious. Will post the vid tomorrow. Its now 3:30AM, I have been working on several cars for the past 15 hours (B5 S4 BBK install, another B5 S4 timing belt which is a PITA, and a RS6 exhast). I'm so friggin tired and I have to get up at 7:30AM tomorrow!!!

So does anyone sell a resonator delete kit? I will gladly buy it
Old 03-10-2008, 10:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Vid does it no justice. But one of my friends uploaded a vid:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...71512245969858

Thats with the kleemann headers and stock secondary cats... then nothing after that I will see if my other friends vid is any better.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:41 PM

02 clk 55 amg
Where can I purchase "Metal Cats"
Old 03-11-2008, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Random Technology, Magnaflow, and a number of others. I don't recommend a roll of the dice on Ebay, where Chinese made, $40, "metal cats" with exactly zero rhodium, platinum or palladium are prevalent. That's if the E-bagger doesn’t ship a ceramic cat and then claim "we meant the SHELL is metal".

Magnaflow has them for about $120 each. RandomTechnology is quite a bit more.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CLK55 resonator inlet/outlet sizes?