CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

looking to buy a used clk55 convert

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 CLK500; 07 Volvo XC90
looking to buy a used clk55 convert

I found this 2002 CLK55 AMG convertible in black/designo black with around 56k miles and he wants $21k. It has everything except for the NAVI. I checked KBB and the price is about 10k cheaper than a dealer and about 4-6k from a private party. He is an independent dealer.

Is there anything I should be looking out for this year 2002? Are parts more expensive than in your regular CLK? Never owned an AMG before so I am kinda excited and at the same time nervous.

Thanks
Old 05-15-2008, 07:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by thegeneraltso
Is there anything I should be looking out for this year 2002? Are parts more expensive than in your regular CLK? Never owned an AMG before so I am kinda excited and at the same time nervous.

Thanks
Yes. Anything with an AMG-specific part number is going to run you more. Brake pads, rotors, calipers, motor, transmission...etc.

However, to date my CLK55 hasn't cost any more to maintain/repair than my previous 300CE or my current W124 wagon.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
You may want to consider paying a dealer to perform an inspection. The normal wear items to watch for at this stage will include:
  • Both motor mounts
  • Trans mount
  • Brake light switch
  • Possibly the differential side seals
  • Flex dics
None of these items are overly expensive (OEM motor mounts and flex discs are a little more than a CLK430 as they're AMG parts). The spark plugs should have been changed by now. Ditto for the transmission fluid. Like Chappy said, the brakes can be pricey, so if inspected, I’d pay attention to the brake section of the dealer’s spec sheet.

The not so normal, but not uncommon wear items are the catalytic converters and power seat motors. The cats need to be replaced when the ceramic cores separate from the metal shells. One way to tell if they’re bad is if they rattle just off idle. At that car’s mileage, the cats are covered by the 8 year / 80,000 mile emissions warranty, so the dealer will replace them for free.

As for the seats, if you’re handy, each motor will take about an hour and cost about $130 (retail, about $102 with an MBCA discount) at the dealer. If you’re not handy the dealer will probably bill a couple of hours labor on top of the part.

Lastly, you may want to consider joining the Mercedes Benz Club of America. The parts and service discounts are more than enough to cover the yearly membership.

best wishes on the purchase - the 2002 CLK55 cab is a fine car.