CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Blown diff = No traction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 11:37 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Blown diff = No traction

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76hQ8owqG9E

Look at the wheels during the burnout. The right spins but the left doesn't really. The track was sticky as hell too, you can hear it. Quaife is on the way, got new wheels/tires for traction too. Also have a problem with bouncing off the rev limiter on the 2-3 shift. Gonna try to get that fixed before MIR and show them what the CLK is all about
Old 10-20-2008, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All of them!
Originally Posted by blackbenzz

Look at the wheels during the burnout. The right spins but the left doesn't really. The track was sticky as hell too, you can hear it. Quaife is on the way, got new wheels/tires for traction too. Also have a problem with bouncing off the rev limiter on the 2-3 shift. Gonna try to get that fixed before MIR and show them what the CLK is all about
Better get busy!
Old 10-20-2008, 12:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 clk55 AMG

I can't wait to see what it does with the new wheels quaife and the trans fixed it's going to be an Animal
Old 10-20-2008, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
What are you putting in (which Quaife part number)? Do you have to modify it for install?
Old 10-20-2008, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
CLK Cabrio
bro that car of yours my just fly once you get it fixed
Old 10-20-2008, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Diff cooler.....

I've had my diff fluid changed 3 times....it would be nice to see if we could find something with cooling fins to fit our cars.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:28 PM

CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by Chappy
What are you putting in (which Quaife part number)? Do you have to modify it for install?
Chappy, I do believe it is the one for the 210 axle on this page: http://www.autotech.com/quaife/diffe.../diff_apps.htm
I am not positive, but I think that is what I have been told.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:05 PM

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupé
Originally Posted by Chappy
Diff cooler.....

I've had my diff fluid changed 3 times....it would be nice to see if we could find something with cooling fins to fit our cars.
Knowledge would help. SPA sells a dual digital temp guage, one readout for the differential and one for the tranny. They record peak values and can be programmed to sound an alarm when passing a pre-set limit.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:13 PM
Almost a Member!

1997 SL500

Do you ever break half shafts (using drag radials) with these?
Bill
Old 10-20-2008, 05:47 PM

2001 clk55 AMG
Originally Posted by BuilderBill
Do you ever break half shafts (using drag radials) with these?
Bill
the axles are the weakest link they break at the wheel hub spline!
Old 10-20-2008, 05:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Thanks guys I'm having a hard time convincing myself to build the trans for so much $$$ even though I want it really bad

Chappy- Its the same as the 210, I will let you know if I encounter anything unusual.

BuilderBill- Yes I have, they break ath the spline that goes in the hub. The CLK430 axles are thicker but have the same spline count so thats no help.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
Should be Open diff = No traction. If you truly had a blown diff, your car would not move at all. Title could also be Kleemanized = No traction. Any car making lots of power has traction issues.

Last edited by pshek; 10-20-2008 at 06:09 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:11 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by pshek
Should be Open diff = No traction. If you truly had a blown diff, your car would not move at all. Title could also be Kleemanized = No traction. Any car making lots of power has traction issues.
There is damage to the internals of the diff, hence the one wheel peel and the weird noises coming from it. Call it what you want to call it. The car had a Kleemann LSD in it
Old 10-20-2008, 06:59 PM

CLK55 AMG
The Quaife should work really well!!! Be nice to see what it'll do with traction.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
There is damage to the internals of the diff, hence the one wheel peel and the weird noises coming from it. Call it what you want to call it. The car had a Kleemann LSD in it

Sounds right. Your diff is acting like an open diff with a non-functional lsd in it. I've heard of other people who had Kleeman LSDs that broke eventually. You made the right choice in getting the Quaife.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by Boosted9603
The Quaife should work really well!!! Be nice to see what it'll do with traction.
I am looking forward to it. I'm hoping to shatter the current E55 no nitrous record The car went 11.48 @ 120.5 last year and alot has been done since then. Key notes since then: high stall torque converter, higher boost, VRP cams, ccw 16" wheels with mickey thompson et street radials, and tune that unleashed quite a bit of power under the curve (think 3 digits). I dont think I will use the nitrous yet but its there if I need it. Soon as I get the diff in it (just waiting on parts) I will take it to a test and tune for some shake down pass (will probably get kicked out). Taking a spare axle with me

Last edited by blackbenzz; 10-20-2008 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:41 PM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 ML-500 , 03 CLK5.5 AMG has left the Garage
Hitting on the RPM Limiter

WhoAAAAAAA !! That rpm limiter hit , multiple times , throws a hell of a torque spike to the Drive train. I couldn't believe what I was hearing you got to get that eliminated First ! Can you short shift that gear change from 2nd to 3rd. Or are you just loosing traction up there also. REgards ___PTEngineering
Old 10-20-2008, 08:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by PTE
WhoAAAAAAA !! That rpm limiter hit , multiple times , throws a hell of a torque spike to the Drive train. I couldn't believe what I was hearing you got to get that eliminated First ! Can you short shift that gear change from 2nd to 3rd. Or are you just loosing traction up there also. REgards ___PTEngineering
It drives me nuts!!! I dont know whats causing it. If anyone knows what it might be please let me know. I cant short shift it, that wa sin Drive in the vid. By the way Pat, your phenolic spacers and tstat are working like a charm!!!

Also a supra was testing its anti-lag almost at the exact same time as the car was bouncing off the rev limiter so all that sound is not coming form my car lol

Last edited by blackbenzz; 10-20-2008 at 08:51 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:58 PM

CLK55 AMG
How much do the axles cost?
We've used a lot of these: http://www.driveshaftshop.com/main_cat1.php
Used them on the built Cobras and have never had an issue. I bet they may make a set of good ones for you.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:29 PM
Almost a Member!

1997 SL500
Thanks guys I'm having a hard time convincing myself to build the trans for so much $$$ even though I want it really bad

Chappy- Its the same as the 210, I will let you know if I encounter anything unusual.

BuilderBill- Yes I have, they break ath the spline that goes in the hub. The CLK430 axles are thicker but have the same spline count so thats no help.
Hmmm, I believe I have the tooling for the axles.
Do you know if there are any broken axles out there to get the dimensions off?

Hold off on the High Torque Capacity NAG1 until you need it, which may be your upcoming race.
Your NAG1 will begin taking forever to shift under load. At that point you WILL need one.
Bill
Old 10-20-2008, 11:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Hmmm, I believe I have the tooling for the axles.
Do you know if there are any broken axles out there to get the dimensions off?

Hold off on the High Torque Capacity NAG1 until you need it, which may be your upcoming race.
Your NAG1 will begin taking forever to shift under load. At that point you WILL need one.
Bill
I have a broken axle. They are only 25 spline axles. Wanna make me a set?

What do you think the problem could be on the 2-3 shift? I need that taken care of ASAP
Old 10-20-2008, 11:41 PM
Almost a Member!

1997 SL500
I have a broken axle. They are only 25 spline axles. Wanna make me a set?

What do you think the problem could be on the 2-3 shift? I need that taken care of ASAP
If you can get me a broken set I will get you a set (high strength) at my manufacturing cost.

Very bad news on the 2-3 shift.
That is the problematic K2 clutches.....the 1st sign you are in trouble.
Give me or Eddie at Southern Hotrod a call.

It is a matter of time when you add as much power as you have....the NAG1 will last almost forever at stock power, but at high torque, sorry....the paper clutches begin to turn to charcoal.
Bll
Old 10-20-2008, 11:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
If you can get me a broken set I will get you a set (high strength) at my manufacturing cost.

Very bad news on the 2-3 shift.
That is the problematic K2 clutches.....the 1st sign you are in trouble.
Give me or Eddie at Southern Hotrod a call.

It is a matter of time when you add as much power as you have....the NAG1 will last almost forever at stock power, but at high torque, sorry....the paper clutches begin to turn to charcoal.
Bll
Will do, can you pm me your manufacturing cost? I have one broken one and an intact CLK430 axle (the CLK430 axle is 1.25" thick as opposed to the CLK55 1" thick axles but everything else looks the same). The left and right axles should be the same. You think you can have em done before Nov. 15th? Hook me up on the price with the built NAG1 too! Will modifying the valve body to increase line pressure help fix the shifting problem or do I need the full build?
Old 10-21-2008, 10:23 AM
Almost a Member!

1997 SL500
Will do, can you pm me your manufacturing cost? I have one broken one and an intact CLK430 axle (the CLK430 axle is 1.25" thick as opposed to the CLK55 1" thick axles but everything else looks the same). The left and right axles should be the same. You think you can have em done before Nov. 15th? Hook me up on the price with the built NAG1 too! Will modifying the valve body to increase line pressure help fix the shifting problem or do I need the full build?
I will PM you my UPS account so that you can overnight the broken axle to me.
No problem on getting the NAG1 completed...Call Eddie at Southern Hotrod and ship yours to him. We use Unishippers typically and put $6,000 insurance on them.
I believe you have driven a MB with one of our High Torque capacity NAG1's....yes the shift is more firm but not overly harsh to the point of being objectionable.
Bill
Old 03-24-2009, 10:21 AM

2003 C32 (NW, LET, etc)
Originally Posted by pshek
This is what a blown diff looks like.

http://racerx.4nracing.com/w202/diff/

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Blown diff = No traction