CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Can you help me play with my new CLK55 AMG?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 CLK55 AMG
Can you help me play with my new CLK55 AMG?

Well, it's new to me, anyway. It's a 2005 with 27,500 miles, in absolutely perfect, apparently garaged, condition. Did I do OK for $29,9?

I totally love it, although I really was looking for something...well, sportier, and "snarlier," I couldn't pass it up after I drove one. There wasn't much else out there I was very interested in, and it's obviously a really awesome car.

Anyway, I hate something really bad about this car: ESP. And it's not like you can just turn it off. It turns itself back on... After I turn it off the second time, it usually stays off for at least 20 or 30 minutes, maybe more - I haven't really taken it on a truly long drive yet.

Is there a way to either make the default position off? I've read a few posts here about "dyno mode." I really don't want to disable ABS, but what the H - I lived without it all those years just fine anyways. Could you tell me more about the toggle switch I've seen at least one post about? Installing a toggle to switch the damn thing off? Can you do this without adversely affecting the other functions of the computer?

Also, I would like to tease the last few HP out of the beast that are available. Any advice about which performance chip to get, maybe other "easy" mods that will put it nearer 400HP or + + +

I have to be careful that anything I do is either not visible, or easily reversed - as the factory warranty was out, and to get a really good extended/aftermarket warranty out to 5 yrs and 100k miles, I had to spend $5k, and it very specifically excludes much significant coverage in case of mechanical failure if there are performance mods. Should I get another "black box" to hide the evidence, as a switchout in case I throw a rod? I presume the ECU upgrade and such goes into this black box (mind you, i know nothing about this car. I've had it for a couple of weeks, and I'm a total newbie. I've been playing with Porsche 928's for a few years, but prior to this, my last gearhead experiences were with Mustangs and a Barracuda many years ago)

It looks like many of you use Kleeman; I suppose they must be the gold standard go-to. I am willing to spend some bucks, but not many, many thousands. What would you all suggest?

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Clay
Old 01-26-2009, 09:51 PM

05 CLK 55, 01 996TT, 06 Nissan Titan, 05 HD VROD
Sounds like you did ok $$$ wise. I have seen a few cheaper recently but it also depends on what all options your car has. I paid $35k for mine about 9 mo ago with 16k miles so it sounds comparable if our options are similar.

As far as mods go good luck there without spending big $$$. Chips on N/A cars don't do a whole heck of a lot and you will likely need some kind of FI to make big power (kleeman, Renntech etc.) and your are looking at 10k + to get there.

I decided to buy a 996TT to mod and play with and keep my 55 stock since the mod path on these is so much cheaper.

Also you cannot fully bypass the tcs functions on the car, I read about dyno mode too but heard that your car will just sit and spin with it engaged (search for it). Also I will be in STL this week for some work so PM me if your around as I would love to see the ride.

Good luck whatever path you head down....

Last edited by ezeks; 01-26-2009 at 09:53 PM. Reason: forgot some stuff
Old 02-06-2009, 02:55 PM

2005 CLK55 AMG
I already have 2 Porsche 928's to play with. One has a rear-mounted turbo, and makes about 500 HP on 6 lbs boost. It's totally fun. But I want my AMG to be faster, too...

Aieee, this thing is only getting worse. Took the thing to JiffyLube the other day for an oil change, bringing my 2 quarts of Lucas oil additive (I'm a big believer in it, especially with this watery oil they spec for cars these days, 5w30). Nice car, they say, I came in with my own filter, and we do the deed: but, oh-oh, damn...can't find the dipstick...WHERE can it be...they can't find it, I can't find it, finally they call someone, and it turns out there IS NO dipstick. "Oil changing is a factory-only service" is the explanation. "Don't worry, as long as you put in the 9 quarts specified, it'll be OK."

I want a dipstick....

That damn thing that looks like a trannyfluid dipstick housing doesn't have a dipstick in it, either. "Factory-only servicable fluids," I'm told...

I hate this a lot. Really love the car, but I don't know if I can hang with this. I guess the factory guys must use a special dipstick tool that you buy, or something? (The jiffylube dudes say I have a seep down there from the tranny)

Yikes.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 CLK 55 AMG, IMCO muffler/Magnaflow tips, KW V1 coilovers, 19" Petrol Metrix Wheels
it is not a ford. never go to jiffy lube. you only need to change the oil with the AMG about every 12k. you can get an oil change for the AMG at most dealerships for $70.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
Originally Posted by AMGOODNESS
it is not a ford. never go to jiffy lube. you only need to change the oil with the AMG about every 12k. you can get an oil change for the AMG at most dealerships for $70.
NOOOOO. Congrats on your new car. I always want AMG Wait post up some pics of your car.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Current: AMG GT-C. Sold: 01 CLK55, 00 ML55, 01 ML55, 06 E55
Originally Posted by AMGOODNESS
I'm gonna have to call big BS here. It costs me close to $70 to change my own oil and I've never been quoted under $120 at a dealership.

9 qts of $5-7 Mobil 1 = min $50, up to $65 depending on the hook up. Oil filter = $10 min.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
I pay about $130 for an oil change at the stealership, so I agree the $70 quote is low. I will agree that this car is not a ford. For the OP to "not be able to hang with this" just because the car doesn't have a dipstick makes him sound like a dipstick. Drive the car hard a few more times and you'll forget the fact that it doesn't have a dipstick.

Post up some pics of that beast too.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W209 2003 CLK55 Coupe
Hate this alot?

Give me a break!
Do you have an owners manual?
Mine is in the car, covered in my garage, so I don't have it in front of me for reference, but I'm sure that there is a chapter devoted to the speedo mounted display.

Read about the oil level check function.

No dipstick is necessary as MBZ has determined that the computer is capable of doing the job for you.
Believe it or not, many MBZ owners don't look under the hood, and won't dirty their hands checking or changing oil.