CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Please Help! CLK55 AMG (cost/quality/efficiency)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2009 | 05:37 PM

Grand Cherokee (right now)
Please Help! CLK55 AMG (cost/quality/efficiency)

Hey guys, this is my first time posting on the site so first I would like to say "Hey". To give you a little background info, I am in the market for a new car and I have my eyes on a 2003 CLK55 AMG with 40K miles on it and it selling for a little over $20K. I am in college right now and have owned several lower end sports cars (mustangs, etc. ) in the past and for the past 2 months I have been driving my Dad's Lexus SC430. Right now I drive a Grand Cherokee (hemi) but I have been really itching to get another fun car, and after driving my Dad's Lexus I feel like a CLK55 AMG would be a good choice for me. After reading about them, they seem like they are fast/agile enough for daily driving and weekend cruises but also gets better MPG than my Jeep and has a bigger back seat and trunk than my Dad's Lex.

Now for the part that I need your help on. My father feels like it would be more cost efficient if I bought a cheaper or less luxurious sports car (350Z, Mustang, etc.) because even though they might require more maintenance, the overall cost of the car will be less in the long run. I haven't owned a Mercedes in the past, but I am guessing that a normal tune up or oil change will cost a considerable amount more than a normal car if you take it to the Dealer. Ideality I would like to prove to him that while the cost of maintenance might be more, the car will require less of it and because it is a higher quality car, the life of a well maintained Mercedes is greater say a 350Z or something like that . Also, after I have done a little reading about the CLK55's, I have found that the engine is a very well built engine and when something does go wrong with the car, it is in most cases something small.

Could you guys please give me your perspective on the cost vs. efficiency when comparing a Mercedes to a less luxurious car. Also, if you personally own a CLK55 AMG I am very interested in the pros/cons of the car. The more details the better because when I present the info to my Dad I would like to be prepared. Lastly, what price could I expect to pay (ball park range) when I would take a CLK55 AMG in for a normal turn up (fluids, filters, etc.) and how often do they need to be performed?

Sorry for the essay-post, I am just trying to cover all my ends. Hopefully in the next month I will own my first Mercedes!
Old 03-21-2009 | 06:31 PM

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupé
Dear Dreamer,

If Dad's the one paying for this car, he's got all the best arguments on 'efficiency'....

You're right to assume CLK55 AMGs are reliable cars, particularly with regard to the motor. You're also right that it like other Benzes are relatively expensive to maintain if you go to a dealer. Ask your local dealer how much "A" or "B" service runs (the two levels of routine maintenance).

The one argument that might sway Dad is that these AMGs are superior in many ways to more ordinary makes such as Mustang. With the heavy depreciation they have suffered, they offer great value as used cars. Which is not to say that they are cheap to buy or run. But you will never regret it if you can get one. Good luck.
Old 03-22-2009 | 06:57 PM

2005 CLK55 AMG CABRIOLET
i have a 2005 CLK55 Cabriolet and her is my take:

Pros:
Fun to drive
Depreciation - mine was $90K new, but 2 years old with 19K miles and I paid $50K
Style
Lots of bells/whistles
Very comfortable to drive day in and day out
Has a real back seat

Cons:
Expensive to own
Depreciation - paid $50K and 2 years later worth $35K
Maintenance
Parts
insurance
premium fuel
mercedes sevice - nothing to rave about at all
Lots of bells/whistles (Lots of stuff to break)

Not sure if I would buy another one. I might spend a bit less and get a 370Z. Similar performance at a cheaper price.
Old 03-23-2009 | 04:05 PM

You both make good points...i will actaully be paying about 18K of my own money for it, but the rest i am going to need a little help from my Dad until i can save up enough and pay him back. Thanks for the help though!
Old 03-23-2009 | 04:28 PM

CLK55 AMG
save up for clk63 black series if u going for the look .. or get the e55 amg if u want it to be fast... clk55 is worth the price for 20k but lot of maintaince + insurance if you a student with less income.. i don't reccomand you to drive it... it will overcome your budget.. get a japanese car and pay off ... then you have no headahce and you could play around with supercharges or turbo...
Old 03-24-2009 | 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by iikillali
save up for clk63 black series if u going for the look .. or get the e55 amg if u want it to be fast... clk55 is worth the price for 20k but lot of maintaince + insurance if you a student with less income.. i don't reccomand you to drive it... it will overcome your budget.. get a japanese car and pay off ... then you have no headahce and you could play around with supercharges or turbo...
ya i was thinking about that, but i have already had one mustang with a forged and blown engine that was putting 530 to the rear wheels. I am trying to find a blance between sometime that is as nice as the CLk, but is also fast enough to keep my on my toes. Also, afteri get it, i might want to do a few things to it, so the clk engine might be a good base.
Old 03-25-2009 | 04:45 AM

CLS 55 AMG - one of the last off the AMG line
CLK55 - provides a different experience to Japanese cars in my opinion. My experience is as follows.

Style (sophisticated versus Japanese aggressive manga racer style)
Alot of very smart people have worked on the car (AMG)- and its hard to improve on. My japanese cars could be played with infinitely - with lots of parts and changes - and 10 HP here or 10 HP there - CLK55 is a finished product. That may or may not be your thing. If you like treating your car like Lego
Seats and interiors- the AMG interior and build quality is very very good - some of the tech gets fiddly (like retracting seat headrests etc) - but the refinement is excellent, and the interior appearance is very very nice (I love the white and blue instrument.

Also - even the new 63 CLKs dont look too different in their interior to the 2003-2005 55's. So it looks current - without the dissapointment of feeling like an old used model. No 80's VCR style LED clock with an H and M button anywhere in sight

I dont think insurance will be as big a difference as suggested. If your Merc is stock- and you have to weigh a non-stock heavilly modified tuned car it will be around the same price. When I ran quotes for me - the CLK was cheaper than a super charged Nissan 350Z which were around 40 HP only in difference (CLK had more).

The CLK can be used for years to come - and you can super charge it and more in future when its paid off. BUT ITS READY NOW - no changes, no little tuning or anything else. From the beginning- its ready to go- in a japanese car - you have to tune the s)(it out of it to get to the CLK55's base state. Its good now - and can be turned into close to a 500 HP super car monster with the right Kleeman etc stage 1-3

You can pry my CLK55 off my cold dead hands I have not felt that way about a car for a long time. But then again, you are asking the CLK55/63 thread so you could hardly expect a balanced answer could you
Old 03-25-2009 | 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Current: AMG GT-C. Sold: 01 CLK55, 00 ML55, 01 ML55, 06 E55
I'm finishing up grad school. Great ride, perfect car to buy. Just make sure and learn how to change your own oil and work on it! Dealership bills are very expensive. If you're handy, do it yourself. If not, just be prepared for $130 oil changes and $1000+ brake jobs.

Definitely the car to buy tho! I've had 0 regrets even with the value going down due to the market crumbling around me.