CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Oil pump question on 03 clk55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 07:09 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 clk55 amg
Oil pump question on 03 clk55

Hi everyone, Have read with interest the threads about the whining noise on these engines as I have the same problem. I asked the technician to check it out at the last service and he said he would remove the front belt to isolate all the belt driven components and check out each comp. manually. After ckecking and finding no problems, he suggested that it may be the oil pump. I asked how much it would cost to replace it and was informed that it involves having to remove the engine to get access to it. As such it would be very very expensive in labour costs. I cannot believe that the engine needs to come out to replace the oil pump, The warranty does cover the oil pump but only if it packs up. Can someone please advise me on this.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Are you talking about that whining noise upon start up? If so how about you do what I do.......live with it.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts
2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by eddieb
Hi everyone, Have read with interest the threads about the whining noise on these engines as I have the same problem. I asked the technician to check it out at the last service and he said he would remove the front belt to isolate all the belt driven components and check out each comp. manually. After ckecking and finding no problems, he suggested that it may be the oil pump. I asked how much it would cost to replace it and was informed that it involves having to remove the engine to get access to it. As such it would be very very expensive in labour costs. I cannot believe that the engine needs to come out to replace the oil pump, The warranty does cover the oil pump but only if it packs up. Can someone please advise me on this.
I suggest never seeing that mechanic again.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:03 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
clk55 amg
He's not kidding, the oil pump is on a seperate chain and tensioning system. Timing cover has to come off, oil pan, heads. when i rebuilt my motor, i was scratching my head why they designed it like this, but it works so... yea.