CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

rear bumper repaint question - $500+

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 11:57 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2006 E55 AMG, 2019 BMW M240I xdrive coupe, 1969 Mach 1 Mustang
rear bumper repaint question - $500+

Hello,
I wanted to get some thoughts from the experts here. Last week I was sitting in traffic and some lady tapped my bumper. She rolled up from idle speed - probably spacing out. We pulled over, examined and no damage whatsoever. Like a fool I did not take her info (lesson learned there).
On Sunday I go to open the trunk and notice some paint peeling. It is on the top of the bumper where it meets where the trunk closes, left side.
My thinking is the impact flexed the bumper which started some cracking that I did not catch and it's gotten worse ever since. I know my bumper was repaired/replaced at one time by the previous owner I'm guessing it was repainted without any "flex additive." I've just actually learned about flex additive. I believe it is used from the factory but a lot of body shops do not use by default. It is added to the paint so that platic parts can flex and the paint won't crack.
Since I will be getting this repainted soon I had a few questions.

One other thing. I called MB of Chicago to see where they have bodywork done. Gold Coast Auto Body. I stopped there for a quick estimate. Quoted me $500-525. They need the car 2 to 3 days to remove and sand the bumper. Couple of questions?

1. Does that sound fair?
2. Any better recommendations? IE - new bumper, remove and bring in myself etc.
3. Comments on the flex additive. Am I correct and does MB use from the factory.

Thanks for any info!!
Old 05-19-2009, 03:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W209 2003 CLK55 Coupe
Flexative

You have the right idea.
According to paint manufacturers, like PPG, for basecoat clearcoat systems, the basecoat (color) does not need flexative, just the clearcoat. (According to the PPG DX 369 "Flexative" description). Single stage paint systems use it in the color....Our MBZ's use a two stage system...usually called "Basecoat Clearcoat". It's in the clearcoat.
It is used in no less than 14 of their polyurethane, urethane and urethane enamel paint systems.

"Flexative Elasomeric Additive is designed to be used in various color and/or clearcoat systems to create the necessary flexibility for painting parts such as flexible bumpers, sight shields, filler panels, fender extensions and other parts that flex when under pressure or impact."

Do you believe that Damlier Benz would produce an expensive and well respected product line without the incorporating all of the latest paint technology? I don't.

If they didn't use a flexative agent, every bumper on every Benz would be cracked and flaking. Customers would have been complaining for years........
I think the price sounds fair....if you don't, get some other estimates.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:26 PM

Thanks, yeah I'm just new to it and wanted to see. This body shop specialized in exotic cars and is an Authorized MB auto body shop. I called them today and they do use the additive. He said it works within reason and that a stronger impact will still cause cracking - obviously. I mgiht get another estimate but I know it won't vary much.

Cheers-
Old 05-20-2009, 03:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 CLK 55 AMG, IMCO muffler/Magnaflow tips, KW V1 coilovers, 19" Petrol Metrix Wheels
$500 is a really good price. I paid that in NV just to have a scratch repaired on the fender.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 E500 & 16 E350
Smile good price

I was quoted $800 for a small scratch on my rear bumper from the stealership here in NY
Old 05-26-2009, 10:13 AM

Well - sounds like I'm getting a fair price. I dropped the car off this morning and price quote was $493 and change. Said that is the best price he can do. I'm probably getting the "new customer" price but hey, I'll take it. They confirmed they use the flex additive as well.
2 whole days without my AMG...don't know how I'll survive