CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

How common is damage to the air dam and other newbie questions.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 CLK55 AMG
How common is damage to the air dam and other newbie questions.

Hi, I've been lurking here for months, but finally just registered =) I'm looking to pickup a w208. I've been doing my homework by reading the posts on here but have a few questions that I haven't seen come up.

I am in contact with a seller with a black '01 coupe with 50k miles. Two known issues with the car have come up so far.

The first issue is regarding the air dam (I'm guessing this is on the front bottom of the car.) The seller said:
The front air dam needs to be repaired. When we first got the car, I parked over a concrete parking block, not knowing the car settles lower when the engine is turned off. When I re-started, and backed out of the parking space, the air dam was caught on the block. It pulled one side partially off.
This is apparently about a $1500 repair. How big of a deal is this and is this common?

The second issue they noted was
Also, the front tires should be replaced in the next few thousand miles - when cold, they track pavement lines, mostly on the freeway. Once warm, the tracking issue goes away.
Doe this sound normal? Does this just sound like poorly worn tires, or could this be indicative of some front end suspension issues?

Thanks.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W209 2003 CLK55 Coupe
It sounds to me that the seller is blowing some smoke up your a$$ about the car settling after the engine is shut down, just to make a quick sale. If it had air suspension, it would be possible, but with coil springs and struts? Why would it drop down when shut down? Not very probable.

I have a 2003 W209, and it raises up when I take my 250 lbs out of the driver's seat. Mine is at stock height, with stock 17" wheels and factory tire sizes for a 2003 CLK55 AMG. Mine is as stock as the day it was built, and it is still too low to roll over most of those concrete bumpers without damage to the air dam.

If the one you are looking at is at stock height, has stock wheel and tire sizes, it too is probably too low to go over most of the concrete parking bumpers. I would bet the seller drove it over one of them when he parked the car because he had the stereo too loud to hear the scraping sound.........

As far as the tires tracking the rain grooves when cold, I've never heard that one before, but, to quote Dennis Miller "But I could be wrong".
Old 06-17-2009, 11:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
This is common for a W208. Moving forward, they’ll easily pass over a concrete block. Backing away is another story - the bumper catches on the concrete and rips. If not bad, it can be repaired by a plastic welder. A replacement bumper cover is part number 2088850525 and lists for $825 at a dealer. It also has to be painted and installed.

Rather than guessing about the condition of the front end, you may want to pay a dealer to inspect the entire car. It may prove to be the best $150 you ever spent. If it needs motor mounts, has leaky rear diff seals, busted flex disks, bad oil cooler o-ring, or the front end needs work, they’ll find it.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:18 AM

2004 CLK55 AMG
Went to go look at it along with a test drive. The ESP on the car seemed to be overly aggressive. It was blinking at me when I was just changing lanes on the highway, although I didn't feel it kick it at all. Took it on some curvy and it definitely kicked in so we turned it off and it was much nicer after that. I'm not quite sure if I'm just not used to the ESP, but perhaps its caused be the worn tires on the front causing it to blink? I inquired about it and the seller said he took it to the dealer and they said it was fine. But it sounds like he noticed it too. I test drove another 01 clk55 at a used car dealer just to get a baseline and it didn't appear to react the same way.

The car had a few other issues. Looks like there was oil leaking from the valve cover gasket. The car was parked outdoors and had quite a bit of leaves and smelled like dogs. I'm gonna keep looking...

Last edited by ccase; 06-24-2009 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Meant ESP, not ESC.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:17 AM

Angry

Used car. Mine hits the curb, too. My air dam came off on the freeway on a rainy night. I repaired it at the nearest hardware store with Gorilla tape. My few encounters with the cement parking block didn't do it. Prior damage was barely fixed and painted up. Dealership bought all damaged parts and fixed it for $350.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Echoing Marcus' advice....get a thorough PPI done prior to pulling the trigger on ANY used vehicle.

I guess I drive like a grandma.....no damage to my front bumper ;-)

Good luck in your search!
Old 06-24-2009, 12:25 PM

2004 CLK55 AMG
Will definitely get a PPI once I find a car that passes my initial screening. I'm curious about how the protocol works for the PPI, do I meet the seller at the dealer to get this performed? Do I just arrange it/pay for it and have the seller take the car over?
Old 06-24-2009, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by ccase
Do I just arrange it/pay for it and have the seller take the car over?
That's what I've did previously with my 300CE and E320 Wagon. I pick the place and arrange payment - seller makes arrangements to have the vehicle dropped off/picked up.