CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

04 CLK55 starting problem!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK55
04 CLK55 starting problem!!

Hi everyone!! My 04 CLK55 has check engine light on, and won't start normally, fault code said it's a problem with Camshaft position sensor, anyone know where is it located and how to replace it??
Old 06-20-2009, 04:03 PM

07' IS 350, 08' E550
Originally Posted by sc55
Hi everyone!! My 04 CLK55 has check engine light on, and won't start normally, fault code said it's a problem with Camshaft position sensor, anyone know where is it located and how to replace it??
What's the P code? Did you use an OBD ll reader to determine this? If so, you should know exactly what the P code is. Also, be a bit more specific when you say "Won't start normally." Does the car idle too high, too low? Do you hear a weird sound or clicking noise when you start the engine?...more details please..
Old 06-20-2009, 08:50 PM

CLK55
Thank you for reply MARTYMAR. Yes, the code is P0341. My car is cranking everytime i try to start it. Normally, It will take me about 3-4 times (turn key on and off) to start the engine when it is cold. With warm engine, it's random, sometimes only take once to start engine up, sometimes 3-4 times.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:49 AM

07' IS 350, 08' E550
Originally Posted by sc55
Thank you for reply MARTYMAR. Yes, the code is P0341. My car is cranking everytime i try to start it. Normally, It will take me about 3-4 times (turn key on and off) to start the engine when it is cold. With warm engine, it's random, sometimes only take once to start engine up, sometimes 3-4 times.
The camshaft sensors are usually placed in a cool area where it doesn't get hot...these sensors very seldom go bad because of the way they're positioned to keep them cool...I'm not completely sure where they're located on our cars but I'll check with my mechanic tomorrow. Hopefully some more members would have chimed in by then with an answer or atleast more advice.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2000 CLK430
Originally Posted by MARTYMAR
The camshaft sensors are usually placed in a cool area where it doesn't get hot...these sensors very seldom go bad because of the way they're positioned to keep them cool...I'm not completely sure where they're located on our cars but I'll check with my mechanic tomorrow. Hopefully some more members would have chimed in by then with an answer or atleast more advice.
ACTUALLY...the CPS sensors are a very common issue on the W208's but I am not so sure about the reliability on the W209's. The common symptoms with the CPS going out is that the car will always start when cold and have starting issues when the car gets warm or normal operating temperature. The car will normally start again after its been sitting for 30 min or more because the engine has cooled down by then. If you let this problem go any longer then it could even make the car turn off on the road without any warning. The CPS only costs about 25-30 bucks and it only takes one bolt to take off. On our W208's it is located (standing in front of the car) on the top right hand side on the engine. It has a cable that is plugged into it, just pull the cable off, remove the star torq screw and the plus will easily come out. The issue is getting to it easily. Do a search, I am sure that someone must have posted a pic of the W209 CPS.

Greg