CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Please!! Code help needed P1747 / P0161

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2000 CLK430
Please!! Code help needed P1747 / P0161

All,

I now need help myself....I just got these codes about 10 minutes ago and quickly drove to Autozone for a free diagnostic and they pulled the following codes:

P1747 and P0161 but they did not have the exact codes for the Mercedes models.

I am not getting any symptoms or problems with the car besides the Check Engine light! So I have no idea what this could be.

History: I replaced the MAF, plugs and both front O2 Sensors about 1 year ago so its not one of the normal problems that one would think.

Please help me out if you have any ideas...I just dropped 800 on my Nieces Limo rental so taking the car to the stealership is definitely out of the question right now and I dont want to mess the car up by driving it anymore!!

Greg
Old 06-20-2009, 01:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07' IS 350, 08' E550
Originally Posted by gregory13lil
All,

I now need help myself....I just got these codes about 10 minutes ago and quickly drove to Autozone for a free diagnostic and they pulled the following codes:

P1747 and P0161 but they did not have the exact codes for the Mercedes models.

I am not getting any symptoms or problems with the car besides the Check Engine light! So I have no idea what this could be.

History: I replaced the MAF, plugs and both front O2 Sensors about 1 year ago so its not one of the normal problems that one would think.

Please help me out if you have any ideas...I just dropped 800 on my Nieces Limo rental so taking the car to the stealership is definitely out of the question right now and I dont want to mess the car up by driving it anymore!!

Greg

Sorry your having a hard time with these dumb codes. After a little research I found the following:

P0161 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Bank 2 Sensor 2 (I'm not 100% sure if this is related to your 02 sensors being that you replaced them a year ago. However, if you recently filled up on gas, then that could be the problem....perhaps it was some bad gas or maybe not the correct octane? Yes/No?)

on this site
http://www.bba-reman.com/content.asp...on_fault_codes

I found
P1747 Electronic Gear Selector Module: Defective Interaction of CAN
with control unit A1(instrument cluster)

In my opinion these codes aren't that bad...you should be able to drive the car without any Major problems....but like always...when you can, take it to the shop to get it fixed asap.

I'm sure some of our MB compadres will be chiming in soon with more suggestions for you...hang in there buddy.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 W205 C43 AMG
MartyMar coming to the rescue--- you are the man!
Old 06-20-2009, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK430
Originally Posted by MARTYMAR
Sorry your having a hard time with these dumb codes. After a little research I found the following:

P0161 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Bank 2 Sensor 2 (I'm not 100% sure if this is related to your 02 sensors being that you replaced them a year ago. However, if you recently filled up on gas, then that could be the problem....perhaps it was some bad gas or maybe not the correct octane? Yes/No?)

on this site
http://www.bba-reman.com/content.asp...on_fault_codes

I found
P1747 Electronic Gear Selector Module: Defective Interaction of CAN
with control unit A1(instrument cluster)

In my opinion these codes aren't that bad...you should be able to drive the car without any Major problems....but like always...when you can, take it to the shop to get it fixed asap.

I'm sure some of our MB compadres will be chiming in soon with more suggestions for you...hang in there buddy.
You know what.....I always put gas at Texaco (premium) but I was really low and just filled up at a normal cornerstore gas station!!! I never even thought about that possibly being part of the problem.

Any other suggestions GUYS????????
Old 06-20-2009, 04:12 PM

07' IS 350, 08' E550
You know what.....I always put gas at Texaco (premium) but I was really low and just filled up at a normal cornerstore gas station!!! I never even thought about that possibly being part of the problem.

Any other suggestions GUYS????????
Sounds like you caught a case of bad gas sorry but that sounds farty! lol...hee hee. No, seriously...if I were you I would empty that tank of gas (driving it until it's low again), put a small bottle of gas cleaner detergent and fill'er up again at TEXACO...drive it around a bit and see if that makes a difference in performance or even get rid of the Check Engine Light. You might need the OBD ll reader to read it again and erase the codes to see if they'll come back again.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK430
Problem Solved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like you caught a case of bad gas sorry but that sounds farty! lol...hee hee. No, seriously...if I were you I would empty that tank of gas (driving it until it's low again), put a small bottle of gas cleaner detergent and fill'er up again at TEXACO...drive it around a bit and see if that makes a difference in performance or even get rid of the Check Engine Light. You might need the OBD ll reader to read it again and erase the codes to see if they'll come back again.
YEAH!!! I went ahead and bought a new set of filters and put some LUCAS fuel treatment in the tank and drove for about 50 miles... (got a new CD to listen to) and VOILA the error code went away towards the end of the drive!! The tank was already at half so I just threw in 1 full bottle and left the tank at half.

I wish I would have done it one at a time to see what was the real problem but I just wanted the problem fixed. So it seems that the O'Reilly bulbs were not the problem after all.

The Air Filters were trashed so I think that may have been the MAJOR problem. I need some K&N's like I have always had in the rest of my vehicles.

Thank you to everyone that contributed to help solve this!!

Greg
Old 06-21-2009, 11:53 AM

07' IS 350, 08' E550
YEAH!!! I went ahead and bought a new set of filters and put some LUCAS fuel treatment in the tank and drove for about 50 miles... (got a new CD to listen to) and VOILA the error code went away towards the end of the drive!! The tank was already at half so I just threw in 1 full bottle and left the tank at half.

I wish I would have done it one at a time to see what was the real problem but I just wanted the problem fixed. So it seems that the O'Reilly bulbs were not the problem after all.

The Air Filters were trashed so I think that may have been the MAJOR problem. I need some K&N's like I have always had in the rest of my vehicles.

Thank you to everyone that contributed to help solve this!!

Greg
Awesome! That's good news to hear. Glad to be able to help out a fellow AMG owner!
Old 06-21-2009, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK430
Awesome! That's good news to hear. Glad to be able to help out a fellow AMG owner!
Well........I am a fellow owner BUT not of the AMG kind!! I WISH I WERE, and no I am not badged AMG.

On a side note: I just raced a nice Vette last night while going to rent a movie and I got smeared, smoked, trashed!!! I came home and told my wife I needed the AMG 55 after all. LOL

It was from a rolling start 25-30 ish and we were head to head until 60-70 and then I just heard his engine roar and BYE BYE!!! I let off after that to dwell in my little 430 disgrace!!

I just need to get my 2nd house sold to free up the Da** money and I would love to buy one and twaek it from there. ANYWAY BLAH BLAH BLAH everyone else wants an AMG as well

Greg
Old 06-21-2009, 08:30 PM

07' IS 350, 08' E550
Well........I am a fellow owner BUT not of the AMG kind!! I WISH I WERE, and no I am not badged AMG.

On a side note: I just raced a nice Vette last night while going to rent a movie and I got smeared, smoked, trashed!!! I came home and told my wife I needed the AMG 55 after all. LOL

It was from a rolling start 25-30 ish and we were head to head until 60-70 and then I just heard his engine roar and BYE BYE!!! I let off after that to dwell in my little 430 disgrace!!

I just need to get my 2nd house sold to free up the Da** money and I would love to buy one and twaek it from there. ANYWAY BLAH BLAH BLAH everyone else wants an AMG as well

Greg
Aww man..no pun intended...a Mercedes is a Mercedes....the AMG just sweetens the deal a little bit . I hope your wife understands how us men gotta have our toys