CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Interesting Engine Design

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2009 | 10:09 AM

Interesting Engine Design

Here is the 2010 BMW X6M:

That starts with a twin-turbo V8 that produces 555 horsepower at 6,000 rpm. It is not likely a coincidence that this engine's peak hp rating is 5 hp higher than the Porsche Cayenne Turbo S that is apparently not an X6 M competitor. The BMW's 4.4-liter motor also churns out 500 pound-feet of twisty torque action from a low, low engine speed of 1,500 rpm all the way up to 5,650 rpm.

What I find interesting is the way the turbos and exhaust manifolds are packaged. I am sure that BMW has done their thermodynamics homework but the hot exhaust is awefully close to the turbos. I think this is the only way to fit the engine under the hood.

The M-spec unit packages its turbos, exhaust manifolds and catalytic converter in the vee between the cylinder banks. And as we've seen before, the turbo plumbing requires that the intake and exhaust valves switch sides (exhaust on the inside of the cylinder head toward the vee, intake on the outside).
Attached Thumbnails Interesting Engine Design-2010-x6m-eng-bmw-fd-500-3.jpg  
Old 07-09-2009 | 05:35 PM

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupé
Originally Posted by hrothgar02

That starts with a twin-turbo V8 that produces 555 horsepower at 6,000 rpm. It is not likely a coincidence that this engine's peak hp rating is 5 hp higher than the Porsche Cayenne Turbo S that is apparently not an X6 M competitor. The BMW's 4.4-liter motor also churns out 500 pound-feet of twisty torque action from a low, low engine speed of 1,500 rpm all the way up to 5,650 rpm.

What I find interesting is the way the turbos and exhaust manifolds are packaged. I am sure that BMW has done their thermodynamics homework but the hot exhaust is awefully close to the turbos. I think this is the only way to fit the engine under the hood.

The M-spec unit packages its turbos, exhaust manifolds and catalytic converter in the vee between the cylinder banks. And as we've seen before, the turbo plumbing requires that the intake and exhaust valves switch sides (exhaust on the inside of the cylinder head toward the vee, intake on the outside).
Impressive numbers, but what are those two jerry cans attached to the front of each cylinder bank? I hope that's not for fuel.

More seriously, I've read that AMG was going to TT the 6.3 motor - scaling up, we're talking 800 horsepower. Managing the heat becomes critical. But in view of today's market and public policy atmosphere I imagine the AMG project is long dead. On the other hand, this BMW model seems to sell pretty well. Even though (or maybe because) it looks like an oversized toy.
Old 07-16-2009 | 07:33 AM

'19 AMG E53 Cpe, '23 EQS 580 SUV, '88 560SL, '35 Ford 5w coupe, '53 MGTD and others
Originally Posted by hrothgar02

Interesting packaging. I'd like to see the insulation they use to keep paint on the bonnet.

By the way, Ford beat them to it with their 60s-era Indy car engines that ran the exhaust in the center of the vee.