CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Light-weight pulley

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 09:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'00 Mercedes 430/55 clk cabriolet
Light-weight pulley

Hi Guys!

I need a descison made on getting a light-weight crank pulley.
My radiator leaks and I'm having it replaced so I thought at the same time to change the pulley.
I want the car to accellerate a bit quicker and so thought the lightend mass should do it. How ever I read bad things about pulleys and so I'm undecided.
I know I won't make more power, I'm after accelleration.

What do you guys think? Please help!
Old 07-13-2009, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar
Originally Posted by Pauljay
Hi Guys!

I need a descison made on getting a light-weight crank pulley.
My radiator leaks and I'm having it replaced so I thought at the same time to change the pulley.
I want the car to accellerate a bit quicker and so thought the lightend mass should do it. How ever I read bad things about pulleys and so I'm undecided.
I know I won't make more power, I'm after accelleration.

What do you guys think? Please help!
A guy had put one on his C55 that had other bolt on's. And noticed a gain in power across the entire curve. This was the lightened pulley not an underdrive.

However, I also read on here that someone used the same pulley and they removed it after it started to wobble.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
I too saw the you tube video of the bad 'high performance' pulley. I recommend you do a fair amount of research before pulling the trigger. I've gone the other route and put ultra light flywheels on cars (obviously not the CLK), and the results have been positive. Lightening the rotating mass allows the engine to accelerate/decelerate faster, HOWEVER - some people have lightened the pulley by removing the damper. Without going into a long discourse (although I'm halfway there already), you NEED a damper. As long as you're pulling the radiator, you might want to consider removing the mechanical fan and replacing it with an electric puller fan. I've built a few kits for this. It's not very difficult.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'00 Mercedes 430/55 clk cabriolet
Thanks Guys!

I'm still looking into the Pulley (probably going to go with AMS).

Marcus. My fan makes alot of noise when working, but I was told this is normal and to not worry about it until it gives up the ghost. What's the deal with the electrical one. Can I get it in the UK?
Old 07-14-2009, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by Pauljay
Thanks Guys!

I'm still looking into the Pulley (probably going to go with AMS).

Marcus. My fan makes alot of noise when working, but I was told this is normal and to not worry about it until it gives up the ghost. What's the deal with the electrical one. Can I get it in the UK?
Jegs and Summit both ship worldwide. They carry Flex-a-Lite, Derale, and Be Cool. Any of those will do.