CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

What to look for when buying used?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 05:26 PM
QTB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
350Z
What to look for when buying used?

I'm new to the forum and joined because I'm considering a 2001 CLK55 AMG. The car is pretty much for a daily driver and my 350Z is my track toy. I am looking for a car with a decent price that is still fun to drive. However, I'm scare to death of the up keep on it, though I know with any car this old you'll have some. It's well kept inside and out with normal wear to the paint and the inside is actually much better than I could have imagined.

Here's what I noticed on the test drive. There was small noise coming from what sounded like the front passenger side wheel area. It could have been tire noise but I wasn't sure. Under the hood, it had obviously been cleaned up but I could not see any signs of leakage anywhere, the belts were fairly new. There was no noise from the suspension and it felt very tight. The transmission was smooth, no hesitations or slurry shifts. As far as I could tell all the electrical was fine and fully operated. Though I noticed a hiccup on the driver's side window as it rolled down, going up was smooth.

Now, mechanically what do I need to check before I even start to get serious about this car?

All in all, the car seems okay but I'm a noob in the MB world. It scares me to buy one with a 137k on it but I love driving this car. Any help/advise would be much appreciated.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W209 2003 CLK55 Coupe
Personally, if I was considering another AMG, I would look for a late model low mileage car with all of the records. The service records will tell you what problems the car has had, and what the previous owner has done to it. Many owners are very particular, and keep all of the records to show a potential buyer a few years down the road. You can certainly find a good low mileage car on Autotrader.com. Don't just jump on the first one you look at, unless it is a real deal.
If buying from a dealer, why not ask for the CarFax report?
Once you buy it, you are probably stuck with it for awhile so it should be what you really want. Sometimes spending more money on a newer car is the way to go.
I wouldn't consider a W208 at all, but thats just me. Most of them are going to be higher mileage cars. I like the W209 (CLK 2003 and on) styling much better.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:59 AM

2005 clk500
Check this website for common problems

This is a great website for listed common problems to have checked out.
http://repairpal.com/mercedes-benz-c...ommon_problems
Hope this helps.
Regards
Paul
Old 09-09-2009, 10:32 PM

e55
used clk amg.

That is a lot of miles for a car which could have been driven hard. 137k is too many miles to take a chance. If that car needs major repairs/maint. you cannot buy it cheap enough. The repair bills could exceed the price of the car. Spend more money up front for a car with half the mileage and lots of service records and you will not regret it ever. Before you buy any amg benz spend some cash and have a local MB dealer or an MB mechanic go over it. Just my $.02
Old 09-09-2009, 11:54 PM

CLK 55 AMG
+1 on what frank said.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar
Unless that CLK55 is super cheap, I wouldn't buy it. I would spend abit more and get one with lower mileage.

Mine has been pretty reliable. I have replaced 2-bulbs, and 1 fuse. In about 6k miles of ownership.

Other than that, its been trouble free driving, and it returns me with 23mpg with mix of city and highway.