CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Thinking about a W208 CLK55 - newbie questions.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2003, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about a W208 CLK55 - newbie questions.

I am currently driving an Audi S4, but I'm considering a change. The S4 is a great car, but I'm begining to consider moving to a 2-door / V8 / auto trans. I've looked at a few CLK430s, but I've recently realized that I'll quickly want more than 275HP. I have a bunch of questions. Thanks in advance for the help.

1. Since the S4 is at the top of it's line, the option list is really short. Is this also true for CLK55? I'm hoping that they are basically loaded with only a few option choices. That will help me to search, as there are not many used in my area.

2. I've seen conflicting information ont he 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. for a stock CLK55. MT says 0-60 is like 5.4 sec, somewhere else I saw 5.0.

3. Are there many color coices? I've seen silver, black, white and blue. Are there many others?

4. Any reasons to look for a specific year CLK? Any year to stay away from?

5. Any service issues of which I should be aware?

6. Is MB sevice in general as good as I've heard? Audi service sucks big-time. They treat everyone like a VW owner.

7. Is there a tip option or just the slush box? My S4 is a 6-speed, so I'd like to have the ability to select my own gears knowing manual is not an option.

8. What is the standard warranty on a CLK55? I realize that I can buy from a dealer and get 100K, but I'm wondering what to expect if buy from an individual?

9. Is $50 - 55K reasonable to expect to spend for a low mileage '01 or the like?

10. We're expecting a baby any day now. Has anyone put a car seat in the back? How much of a pain is it to get back there?

Thanks again for reading this message. I'm absolutely going MB for my next car, but I keep waffling on which one.
Old 03-15-2003, 08:03 PM

CLK 55 AMG Cab
Hi S4_2_55, I’ll take a crack at answering your questions. I’m by no means an expert on CLK55’s, however I own a 2002 CLK55 Cabrio, and have owned other MBs. So I know something about the buying experience.

1. Since the S4 is at the top of it's line, the option list is really short. Is this also true for CLK55? I'm hoping that they are basically loaded with only a few option choices. That will help me to search, as there are not many used in my area.

The CLK AMGs only have a few options such as Command (Nav), 6 disc CD changer and the integrated phone.

2. I've seen conflicting information on the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. for a stock CLK55. MT says 0-60 is like 5.4 sec, somewhere else I saw 5.0.

MB claims 4.9 for the coupe and 5.9 for the Cabrio.

3. Are there many color choices? I've seen silver, black, white and blue. Are there many others?

There are a couple of shades of green and a few reds. Black and brilliant silver seem to be the most common.

4. Any reasons to look for a specific year CLK? Any year to stay away from?

I’m not aware of any if you’re asking about late models. But others may have an opinion on this.

5. Any service issues of which I should be aware?

Same answer as #4.

6. Is MB service in general as good as I've heard? Audi service sucks big-time. They treat everyone like a VW owner.

My experience with three different dealerships all in NJ has varied. One of the three has VW under the same roof and I always felt like I was treated as a VW owner there. The other two were MB only and the experience has been what is expected of a luxury class auto.

7. Is there a tip option or just the slush box? My S4 is a 6-speed, so I'd like to have the ability to select my own gears knowing manual is not an option.

The AMGs come with what MB calls Touch Shift, which allows you to manually up and down shift.

8. What is the standard warranty on a CLK55? I realize that I can buy from a dealer and get 100K, but I'm wondering what to expect if buy from an individual?

The new vehicle warranty for my car (2002) is 48 months or 50K miles, and as you mentioned you can buy an extended warranty.

9. Is $50 - 55K reasonable to expect to spend for a low mileage '01 or the like?

This seems about right from what I’ve seen, at least for a coupe. But you’d have to do more research to be sure.

10. We're expecting a baby any day now. Has anyone put a car seat in the back? How much of a pain is it to get back there?

I put a car seat in mine now and then, it’s not too bad. The front seat automatically moves forward when you fold forward and then returns to where it was set when you fold back.

I hope this helps. You’ll see by reading these threads that the AMG owners are a pretty passionate group about their cars. I have to admit that nothing tops it when you jump on the accelerator.

Good luck in your endeavors. Keep us posted.
Old 03-15-2003, 10:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
3 Porsche rotation
Hello,

I just bought a 2001 CLK55 for my wife and we absolutely love the car. I have a E55 already and the CLK55 is a perfection addition. I will try to answer some of your questions.

1) Major options were COMAND, K2a package(phone, voice activaton, CD-changer) and special leather interior( leather dash, console, door trim etc)

2) 2001 Mercedes catalog stated 5.2 sec. and 2002 stateed 4.9 No changes mechanics between 2001 and 2002 CLK55. Go figure!!!

3) There are many colors but black and sliver are the most common. We originally look for a red car to substitute my wife's 1998 red CLK320 but the price was $6000-7000 more than what I paid for mine.

4 & 5) CLK55 only available for 2001 and 2002, and I am not aware of any problems. Knock on wood!

6) I have also own numerous Mercedes and dealt with many dealers service dept. and I have yet to run into any problems. Some are more competent than other and remember, if you are not happy with one dealer, just go to another dealer.

7) I rarely use the touch shift option so no commit here.

8 & 9) If you buy a 2001 CLK55 chances are the warranty will expire late next year. Therefore buy 2001 from a dealer makes more sense to me because you can buy extended Starmark warranty to supplement existing warranty. The Starmark is available from 1-4 years/ 100k miles. Try to buy a dealer car with 1 year Starmark already, this will save you some money and you can buy addition years to supplement it. Now if you can find a 2002 CLK55 that has not reach the 1 year anniversary date from the initial purchase date, you will be eligilbe to purchase original Mercedes extended warranty. 2002 CLK55 would be ideal as a private sale/purchase. I paid $50600 for mine 2001 CLK55 from the dealer. This included 1 year/100k starmark warranty and the car has the K2a option. And the milage of the car is 14000 miles. Get the potential car inspected by a reputable body shop is essential in my opinion. Starmark certified vehicle are inspected thoroughly and held to a high standard. Also get a copy of the service record.

19) We are expecting a child in 1 month also and honestly, CLK55 will not be my priority car when travelling with baby. I will only take the CLK if we are travelling together but not my wife alone. I told her she will have to put the baby in the front seat or else it is too inconvinent to put the baby in the back. You will need to buy the Mercedes baby smart seat. This seat will deactivate the front airbag and it is a rear facing infant seat. It cost me about $130 at the dealer.

Good luck in your search and if you have any question feel free to ask. Congratulation on your new born.

John
Old 03-15-2003, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
A few more:

I'm only going to answer the questions where I've got something to add to scooter's answer.

2) Mercedes did claim 4.9, which the car is certainly capable of, if the launch surface is extremely sticky! The rear tires are pretty easily overpowered by the hi torque, so hitting 4.9 would be tough without upsizing, but the car can do it. Several folks on here have hit low 13's with them in the 1/4 mile, so your speed concerns about the CLK430 won't be a problem!

4) Haven't heard of any reliability problems with any specific model year.

5) None I'm aware of.

6) This is probably dependent upon dealer, but in general afaik it's better. I'd enquire about the dealer(s) in your area first.

7) No manual transmission option.

9) That's about the price range they seem to be in.
Old 03-15-2003, 10:58 PM

No longer car shopping...
Street price (individual) is lower

Good news if your open to buying from an individual. The market is VERY soft right now. CLK55's with under 20K miles are going on eBay (and local papers) for between $46 and $48K. Since they've still got another 30K miles left on them, you don't NEED the extra 100K warranty unless you plan on using it as a daily driver. Only had mine for a couple of month but it's pure "kick in the pants" adrenalin on wheels. You won't be sorry. Due to it's tighter suspension (sway bars, etc) it does ride a bit rougher than the 430. Child seat in back is absolutely no problem. I've got a 7 year old and a new one on the way. He simply climbs in and out pretty easily. Newborne may be another story. If it is, I may be selling mine in the $48K range myself and picking up a '01 S-class.
Old 03-16-2003, 12:17 AM
CRB

An infant seat in the back of a coupe is a major pain in the, er, lower back. One thing that helps is those infant seats that are carrier/seats with a swing up handle. The base can be belted in the car and left there and you just unsnap the carrier with the baby inside.
Old 03-16-2003, 04:27 PM

Talking You guys rule!

Thanks so much for all of the great answers! I was actually driving home from the movies today, and there was a beautiful dark gray E55 on the lot at a local dealer. No info, no plates. I'm going to give them a call.

Getting the E55 would certainly do away with any concerns for the baby seat. I'd probably prefer the CLK, but the wife seemed to show more interest in the E. I'll keep working on her.

Thanks again so much for the help. I would probably have gotten butchered on the S4 forum had I asked such rudimentary questions.

By the way, the E55 had 18s on it. Does the CLK55 come standard with 17s or 18s? The 18s were sweet.

-Grady
Old 03-16-2003, 05:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
3 Porsche rotation
Hello S4_2_55?

CLK55 comes with 17X7.5 in the front and 17X8.5 in the rear. You can't go wrong with the E55 either. The ride will be softer and acceleration will be gentler compare to the CLK55, but it is still one hell of a rocket. Get the 2000+ E55 because the body is updated and again if you are planning to keep this car for a few years, get the Starmark extended warranty!!! Keep us updated with your purchase and good luck.

John
Old 03-17-2003, 08:34 AM

Thanks again!

The E55 I saw looks to be an '01 or '02. I'll talk to them today.
Old 03-17-2003, 09:50 AM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Thanks again!

Originally posted by S4_2_55?
The E55 I saw looks to be an '01 or '02. I'll talk to them today.
Stick with the E55! You can't go wrong!