CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

I think W209 CLK55 is bit boring with tuning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 CLK 55
I think W209 CLK55 is bit boring with tuning

I have decided not to get rid of my CLK since the value is so low now
I am loosing too much $$.

So I tried to give some change but there aren't many options like M3...

Unless I spend 10K + for SC or some crazy goody...

Too bad
Old 02-03-2010, 05:45 PM

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupé
Originally Posted by s4avt

Too bad
Not so fast to the snooze, pal. There are options out there: for less money than that SC you can make the car drive much more aggressively, getting the most out of that ol' V8. Think coilovers, LSD, ECU, headers, strut bars and Toyo888 (or similar) tires and watch your ESP warning light start to get bored instead of you.

Last edited by neilbo75; 02-03-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:06 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
you can get up to the 400HP mark relatively easily, doesn't take that much to get there. Also reducing the weight a bit as well as improving traction and you should have a great performance car. If anything the car is better in NA form as that's how it was designed and it can put all the power to the ground, where as with SC it basically just roasts tires like marshmellows.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:01 PM

'05 CLK55, '04 CLK320

Too bad
just curious to what mods you've done so far
Old 02-03-2010, 09:52 PM

'03 CLK 55
I got Spring, and Carbon Lip.. wheels and tires

I used to have b5 S4 avt stg3. and it was fast and more fun car and much cheaper to mod

Last edited by s4avt; 02-03-2010 at 11:09 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sold - CLK500
I just installed some bilstein pss9 coilovers and it transformed the car, the h&r springs served their purpose for lowering. But now my car handles like an m3. Im sure adding some h&r sway bars is going to make the car handle even better.

Bilstein is literally amazing!
Old 02-03-2010, 11:09 PM

'03 CLK 55
So did you have spring before pss9?

how is your pss9 give us more detailed review and i'd love to hear comparison against V2.

btw, where did you get it and how much did you pay?
Old 02-03-2010, 11:19 PM

'03 CLK 55
Originally Posted by AMS Performance
you can get up to the 400HP mark relatively easily, doesn't take that much to get there. Also reducing the weight a bit as well as improving traction and you should have a great performance car. If anything the car is better in NA form as that's how it was designed and it can put all the power to the ground, where as with SC it basically just roasts tires like marshmellows.
To make 400hp that about 30 hp on top of what we have right?

so does it means, Headers, ECU, Sport Cat will do the trick?
Old 02-04-2010, 12:57 AM

Sold - CLK500
So did you have spring before pss9?

how is your pss9 give us more detailed review and i'd love to hear comparison against V2.

btw, where did you get it and how much did you pay?
All i can say is get the pss9 system, i am totally blown away with the difference in the car. I had previously run just h&r springs with stock shocks. The car responds with the flick of your wrist, as soon as you turn the wheel the rear is already pointing inthe direction your steering to.

I cant believe how much difference the coilovers have made, to be honest i dont know why people who have the coilovers havent given them so much praise as i have.

I will explain what i found from them, they have reduced the amount of rattling and juddering from normal driving. The car sits flat going around corners now and the tires dont squeek much because of the additional grip.

Im currently on setting 5/6 which is right in the middle, therefore i could get a lot harders and softer. I think this setting is perfect for street use and i can switch it to 1 on the odd track day.

I highly recommend the kit!

The clk also suffers with terrible brakes, i plan to upgrade to bbk very soon.

Hope this helps, Mike

Last edited by mk4mike; 02-04-2010 at 12:59 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts
C63s Cabriolet, BMW M4, Civic
Originally Posted by mk4mike
All i can say is get the pss9 system, i am totally blown away with the difference in the car. I had previously run just h&r springs with stock shocks.

No surprised there since you're compared it with H&R springs just with STOCK SHOCKS !!! I'm not sure how you able to ride around with stock struts/shocks after you changed your springs. I sure didn't like my Eibach spring with stock struts/shocks. I has the struts changed out with Bilstein sport struts/shocks within month. But I do love the Bilstein PSS9 on my friend C55.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:27 PM

Sold - CLK500
if your gonna do suspention - do it properly = coilovers
Old 02-04-2010, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar
Also get LSD, and a custom T/C from Eurocharged. And if you are there might as well get a set of longtubes put on and get it tuned.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
clk55
All i can say is get the pss9 system, i am totally blown away with the difference in the car. I had previously run just h&r springs with stock shocks. The car responds with the flick of your wrist, as soon as you turn the wheel the rear is already pointing inthe direction your steering to.

I cant believe how much difference the coilovers have made, to be honest i dont know why people who have the coilovers havent given them so much praise as i have.

I will explain what i found from them, they have reduced the amount of rattling and juddering from normal driving. The car sits flat going around corners now and the tires dont squeek much because of the additional grip.

Im currently on setting 5/6 which is right in the middle, therefore i could get a lot harders and softer. I think this setting is perfect for street use and i can switch it to 1 on the odd track day.

I highly recommend the kit!

The clk also suffers with terrible brakes, i plan to upgrade to bbk very soon.

Hope this helps, Mike
I dunno what you're talking bout the brakes...maybe yours is not an AMG but i have a 2002 clk55 and the stock brakes are amazing it just stops the car with no effort, I've never owned a car with better brakes than this...brakes are the only thing that I would never touch on my car...I dunno the exact stopping distance but it matches with porsche...I mean the rotors are over 13"
Old 02-04-2010, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by Bmwr1d3h
I dunno what you're talking bout the brakes...maybe yours is not an AMG but i have a 2002 clk55 and the stock brakes are amazing it just stops the car with no effort, I've never owned a car with better brakes than this...brakes are the only thing that I would never touch on my car...I dunno the exact stopping distance but it matches with porsche...I mean the rotors are over 13"
Take it to a road course and get back to us. The brakes are decent but they don't resist fade like those of MY00 or newer Porsche. Mine are just under 15" both front and rear and they stop amazingly. However, fade will come on sooner than it did in my 996TT which had smaller brakes. Aside from just diameter, pads, rotor thickness, calipers, venting, lines, etc are all factors very important. Weight too, naturally.

Last edited by Carl Lassiter; 02-04-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:11 PM

Sold - CLK500
Thats because you have probably never driven a car with better brakes than a clk55. I actually have a clk500 with the same brakes as you and they suck, i also drive a s55 amg with 8 piston brakes. drive a car with beefy brakes and you will realize just how bad the clk brakes are. I need at least 6 piston on the fronts if i want to track my car again.

When i tracked my car the brakes got so hot that the brake pedal dropped to the floor. i had to bleed the brakes the next day as they wouldnt harldy repsond. Once you push your car to the limits that when you see it's drawbacks, you could never experience this with street driving.

Mike
Old 02-04-2010, 04:41 PM

clk55
Yes if we're talking about tracking if it was me I wouldn't buy a mercedes unless it's a black series...so all I'm saying is given the age of the car it compares well to bmw and the new infiniti(some porsches also)...look at the new 3 serieses or the g37, they all have similar brakes as the clk55...of course g37 and 3 seriese have vented and all that but I was reading a resent test and even with more advanced braking systems(supposedly) they both suffered after 5 tests and took more to stop, so unless your gonna drop 3000-5000 bucks I don't think it's worth upgrading your brakes...

Every car I see these days have vented and slotted brakes but when their up to test they pretty much suck given how good they look...

I did drive many car including an m6 which didn't really surprise me with speed or braking...it was faster than my car but nothing special...

2002 Clk55 60-0(convertible, heavier):
http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2134a.shtml

2003 Clk500 60-0 unless you changed yours already:
http://mercedes.jbcarpages.com/CLK/2003/index3.php

It might be the same but it's still slower to stop might be cuz of weight..

Last edited by Bmwr1d3h; 02-04-2010 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:05 PM

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupé
Thats because you have probably never driven a car with better brakes than a clk55. I actually have a clk500 with the same brakes as you and they suck, i also drive a s55 amg with 8 piston brakes. drive a car with beefy brakes and you will realize just how bad the clk brakes are. I need at least 6 piston on the fronts if i want to track my car again.

When i tracked my car the brakes got so hot that the brake pedal dropped to the floor. i had to bleed the brakes the next day as they wouldnt harldy repsond. Once you push your car to the limits that when you see it's drawbacks, you could never experience this with street driving.

Mike
I tracked my 208 CLK 55 for two days around Nurburgring last September with the AMG driving academy. My car runs heavy because it has every option, down to the TV tuner, plus a custom stereo in the trunk featuring a 13 inch subwoofer and two amps. Both days we baked under the summer sun - 90 degrees F.

The second day in particular featured a lot of hot laps strung together. I had to drive my car hard to hang with the 63s as best I could.

Guess what: the stock AMG brakes never did fade.

So maybe a BBK would have been better, I won't say no, but we all know that tires stop cars, not brakes.

Last edited by neilbo75; 02-04-2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:18 PM

clk55
Originally Posted by neilbo75
I tracked my 208 CLK 55 for two days around Nurburgring last September with the AMG driving academy. My car runs heavy because it has every option, down to the TV tuner, plus a custom stereo in the trunk featuring a 13 inch subwoofer and two amps. Both days we baked under the summer sun - 90 degrees F.

The second day in particular featured a lot of hot laps strung together. I had to drive my car hard to hang with the 63s as best I could.

Guess what: the stock AMG brakes never did fade.

So maybe a BBK would have been better, I won't say no, but we all know that tires stop cars, not brakes.
Well Said...
Old 02-04-2010, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
I did drive many car including an m6 which didn't really surprise me with speed or braking...it was faster than my car but nothing special...

You sure it wasn't a rebadged 645i? Maybe it was in P400 and S1 and had bald tires. Or maybe you never did drive one? An M6 or M5's acceleration and all-round performance is so far removed from that of a W208 CLK55 (which I am not bashing as it's a nice car in its own right) it renders your posts rather worthless.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
06 Carrera4
I've got a clk500 and by my calculations I may be able to get it to 380+ HP and 400 tq and that’s w/o SC.
I can’t imagine how someone may call 55AMG boring. You can push that thing to 450HP easily. Not to mentione easy suspension mods as already listed here.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:45 PM

clk55
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
You sure it wasn't a rebadged 645i? Maybe it was in P400 and S1 and had bald tires. Or maybe you never did drive one? An M6 or M5's acceleration and all-round performance is so far removed from that of a W208 CLK55 (which I am not bashing as it's a nice car in its own right) it renders your posts rather worthless.
I did say it's faster and everything but nothing that would amaze me...I mean I rather have a e55 or e63(which I drove one, e55 my coworker has one and I love it) than any of those but that might be that i'm biased...since I had two brand new BMWs that were lemon after 3 months so I gave up on them even though they were my favorite cars before...

And I know the difference between a 645i and an m6...anyways no need to explain myself why I would feel that way about an m6/m5 but that's just me...
Old 02-05-2010, 04:25 AM

'05 CLK55, '04 CLK320

Mike
the 05 clk55's got upgraded with 6 piston front brakes
Old 02-05-2010, 02:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by AMS Performance
If anything the car is better in NA form as that's how it was designed and it can put all the power to the ground, where as with SC it basically just roasts tires like marshmellows.
I disagree
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
Take it to a road course and get back to us. The brakes are decent but they don't resist fade like those of MY00 or newer Porsche. Mine are just under 15" both front and rear and they stop amazingly. However, fade will come on sooner than it did in my 996TT which had smaller brakes. Aside from just diameter, pads, rotor thickness, calipers, venting, lines, etc are all factors very important. Weight too, naturally.
Brake fade is usually due to the pads and brake fluid. Easy fix.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Brake fade is usually due to the pads and brake fluid. Easy fix.
Sure, but I'm talking from the factory. Even the P Gayman's brakes will outlast an AMG or M stock-stock.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:52 PM

'03 CLK 55
Doesn't Porsche known for brake?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I think W209 CLK55 is bit boring with tuning