CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

DS seat auto return not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2010 | 05:02 PM

2001 CLK55 AMG
Question DS seat auto return not working

I have a 2001 CLK 55 and recently, for no apparent reason my drivers side seat stopped returning automatically to it's previous position after folding the seat forward to gain access to the back seat. I can still move the seat in any direction and everything else works fine (head rest, back tilt), but the automatic return ceases to work now. I read somewhere on this forum about resetting the seat by using the controls to push the seat in the forward most position and putting the headrest down simultaneously for 2 seconds, but I tried this several times and for several seconds of holding, but nothing. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 02-15-2010 | 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK430
Did you make sure to push the seat forward with the seat and headrest in the folded down position? It should work if you do it that way.

Greg
Old 02-15-2010 | 11:12 PM

If your motor is going or the tracks are binding, the reset will not hold. The first slow down will disable it. I had same problem, replaced motor and has been good since.
Old 02-16-2010 | 02:45 PM

2001 CLK55 AMG
solution

Hi and thanks for both the replies. The reset option finally did work. For some reason when I was putting the seat forward, it wasn't traveling all the way the first time. Later I tried it again and the seat went several inches further forward for some reason and then I depressed the forward and headrest buttons simultaneously and it worked (reset), allowing the seat to automatically go back to it's preset place once I put the backrest upright again. I will say that there is a lot of noise coming from under the seat when it travels on the track. It sounds like the leather on the seat is being dragged against the center console (although that's clearly not happening) more than the gears mashing or clicking on the track. I have already had the motor replaced about 4 years ago. Could be going again?
Old 02-16-2010 | 04:20 PM

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupé
Originally Posted by jbeditor
Hi and thanks for both the replies. The reset option finally did work. For some reason when I was putting the seat forward, it wasn't traveling all the way the first time. Later I tried it again and the seat went several inches further forward for some reason and then I depressed the forward and headrest buttons simultaneously and it worked (reset), allowing the seat to automatically go back to it's preset place once I put the backrest upright again. I will say that there is a lot of noise coming from under the seat when it travels on the track. It sounds like the leather on the seat is being dragged against the center console (although that's clearly not happening) more than the gears mashing or clicking on the track. I have already had the motor replaced about 4 years ago. Could be going again?
Yes, indeed. Seat motors are probably the single worse flaw in the CLK. Mine has been replaced two times and i have not yet hit 60000 miles.