CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Fuel pump relay keeps breaking.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Fuel pump relay keeps breaking.

So over this past summer my car died twice on me. Once while honey and I were out at a resturant leaving us stranded. Each time the dealership had to replace the fuel pump relay. The second time they replaced it for free with an "updated" part (I have no clue in hell what that means). They said it is probably the fuel pump going bad causing the relay to blow, but after they replace the relay the fuel pump always works fine so they can't really say for sure if thats the culprit.
So last week or so my car wouldn't start for a third time now. Same symptoms as this past summer. Cranks and cranks but won't turn over. I will tow it to the dealership soon and I assume they will replace the fuel pump relay for a third time (for free) but I'm getting sick of this car not starting at random times. If I have to, I guess I will bite the bullet and replace the fuel pump but I don't want to spend that kinda money on something that may not be broken. I hate to replace it then a month later my car dies again.
Do you guys think its really the fuel pump causing the relay to break? Anything else that can make the fuel pump relay go bad three times already?
This is frustrating. It never ends with these vehicles!
Old 03-03-2010, 12:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
If the fuel filter has been regularly serviced, I'd spring for a fuel pump. The CLK55 pump has a list price of $316 ($237 from Mercedes-Benz of Annapolis). It's the same part as a CLK500 part, so it should be in stock, or easily available (1 day maybe 2). For me personally, the aggravation factor alone would make it worth the money. Not knowing when it's going to crap out, the inconvenience, the towing, having to find a ride home . . . . it's worth every cent.

I'd ask the dealer for a discount. I ask for a discount on everything, but especially in this case. You've been in repeatedly, you're a loyal customer, somebody should have caught this sooner, you know, sell it.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by MarcusF
If the fuel filter has been regularly serviced, I'd spring for a fuel pump. The CLK55 pump has a list price of $316 ($237 from Mercedes-Benz of Annapolis). It's the same part as a CLK500 part, so it should be in stock, or easily available (1 day maybe 2). For me personally, the aggravation factor alone would make it worth the money. Not knowing when it's going to crap out, the inconvenience, the towing, having to find a ride home . . . . it's worth every cent.

I'd ask the dealer for a discount. I ask for a discount on everything, but especially in this case. You've been in repeatedly, you're a loyal customer, somebody should have caught this sooner, you know, sell it.
Well selling it isn't an option! I think I will spring for the fuel pump. Can't keep doing this.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stiggs
Well selling it isn't an option! I think I will spring for the fuel pump. Can't keep doing this.
I'm in sort of the same boat, though not as bad, but it's really frustrating that things just keep breaking. The heated seat function no longer works on my car which was the latest of many things to go bad.

Good luck on getting your problem fixed. keep us up to date on whether the fuel pump was the culprit.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
Well I guess it was the fuel pump.
$1250 to replace the fuel pump
$450 to replace the fuel sender

They said I should replace the fuel sender while I'm replacing the fuel pump. I bet its just a way for them to milk me out of some extra money. Rape time!

Nothing better go on this car after this so help me God or I"m bailing out of it!
Old 03-06-2010, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 W205 C43 AMG
Stiggs sorry to hear about the problems with the car. If it makes you feel better last summer 09 I had to replace my 'thrust control arms' (?) and this winter I had to replace my engine mounts. $$$.

Think of it this way, once you replace the fuel pump it should be go to go for another 100,000 miles.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stiggs
Well I guess it was the fuel pump.
$1250 to replace the fuel pump
$450 to replace the fuel sender

They said I should replace the fuel sender while I'm replacing the fuel pump. I bet its just a way for them to milk me out of some extra money. Rape time!

Nothing better go on this car after this so help me God or I"m bailing out of it!
ouch! How many miles do you have on your car?
Old 03-07-2010, 07:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
Thats the thing....I have 46K miles on my car. Sure its seven years old but shouldn't this stuff last a little longer than this?
Old 03-07-2010, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
On a W208, the pump is under the car, under a plastic cover, next to the fuel filter. The R&R appears to be a pretty simple job.

I thought twelve bills was outrageous, so I looked up the W209 in the WIS.

Unfortunately, on a W209 the pump is in the tank.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
Yeah, I guess it's a big job. Lucky me.
Old 09-16-2018, 01:12 PM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
W209 CLK55 - 2003
Bumping an old thread...

Has anybody replaced the pump themselves? I have exactly the same issue; fuel pump relay burning out and I think the pump itself is to blame.

My understanding is that it is simply lifting the rear seat, getting into the tank and making the swap. Is there something I am missing?