CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

bad day at the drag, any advice?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK55 '05 CLK320 '02
Originally Posted by badblackbenz550
which track do you go to ? i will be going to Raceway Park this saturday.
I got to beaver springs. I wish I can come this weekend I have finals this monday maybe the weekend after

Originally Posted by ECTurboGSX
Launching properly is definitely a tactile thing. We can give you advice here, but it really comes down to just getting out there and getting a feel for it. A 107 trap speed should be able to get you down in the 13.1 to 13.3 range with a decent launch. What was your trap speed prior to the headers and exhaust?
yea I was hoping for a 13.1 so bad then after my first couple of runs I was hoping for a 13.3 or ever a 13.4 once I got the 13.4 I stopped cuz my engine was too hot at that point.
I am trying to find a copy of those old slips once I do I will let u know how much I used to trap.

Originally Posted by AMS Performance
I agree, with 107 trap speeds you should be able to hit 13.1-13.2 so you are giving up a few tenths b/c of traction. On the AMGs, 25psi seems to be a good tire pressure at the strip.

Did you just hit the traction control button off or did you truly completely disengage it? (two totally different things). If you didn't it could still have been kicking in thereby causing it to bog.

Ecu upgrade will help alittle bit but honestly don't expect that much (8-10 @ wheels). High flow 2nd cats help more than ECU does (10-12 @ wheels). Also, power pulley will help with acceleration (especially in lower gears). All three combined should get you very close to the 12s.

hope that helps.
Yea I turned it off but it might have hooked back in I never knew how to fully turn it off (heard I have to give up power steering to do so). I dont have any cats on the car btw I deleted them when I installed the headers. I am actually planning on supercharging the car this summer which includes pullies and and ECU tune but I was hoping to feel some gain with the bolt on upgrades first.
I will try the tire pressure tip thanks for that I hope it makes a difference

Originally Posted by Chappy
Practice "rolling" the throttle. You'll get there.

I am hoping to get the hang of it. I just cant fight the urge to flooooooooooooor it. its just too exciting

btw on another note what do u guys think of the sound?
Old 04-27-2010, 07:25 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
Ok, thats probably where your few tenths are. Just "turning off" traction control with the button is not really turning it off, its just on "low". To fully disengage you have to put it either on dyno mode (on newer amgs) or just go to the engine bay and disconnect the ABS/ESP connector like on older AMG models (W202, W208, W210 amgs).

You will have power steering, just no ABS (so ONLY do this once you are at the track).
Old 04-27-2010, 07:29 PM

CLK55 '05 CLK320 '02
Ok, thats probably where your few tenths are. Just "turning off" traction control with the button is not really turning it off, its just on "low". To fully disengage you have to put it either on dyno mode (on newer amgs) or just go to the engine bay and disconnect the ABS/ESP connector like on older AMG models (W202, W208, W210 amgs).

You will have power steering, just no ABS (so ONLY do this once you are at the track).
I have a 2005 W209 so wait there is a connector that I have to disconnect?
yea I wouldnt dare turn it off while driving regularly.

thanks for the tips
Old 04-28-2010, 06:06 PM

CLK55 AMG
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77-H5...layer_embedded

check out it out my launch at local street

Last edited by iikillali; 04-28-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:04 PM

CLK55 '05 CLK320 '02
Originally Posted by iikillali
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77-H5...layer_embedded

check out it out my launch at local street
that sounds bad ***!!!!

I like ur fog lights how did u get them done?
btw ru running stock exhaust it sounds mean!!!
and do u have a diffuser there I couldn't really tell
Old 04-29-2010, 05:50 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
I forget if the W209 can be done through the instrument cluster menu or if it still requires full disconnect. The large vertical rectangular plug is on the drivers side directly behind drivers headlight, simply pull up and it slides out (very easy). Hope that helps...
Old 04-30-2010, 01:56 AM

CLK55 '05 CLK320 '02
I forget if the W209 can be done through the instrument cluster menu or if it still requires full disconnect. The large vertical rectangular plug is on the drivers side directly behind drivers headlight, simply pull up and it slides out (very easy). Hope that helps...
I doubt it is from the cluster I'm sure it is a disconnect. thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try next time I go racing
Old 04-30-2010, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 CLK 55 AMG,09 C63 loaded with P30
Originally Posted by hami
Hey guys I went drag racing a week ago and wasn't very happy with my results. The last time I went was in November 2008 and best time I got was a 13.53. I got Kleemann headers on my car after that and added an Eisenmann exhaust. And on this attempt I could only get a 13.45. temps this time were between 41-60 F. There was some wind blowing against the cars but I doubt that would have a big impact on any gains.

Here is a video of a bad attempt and loosing control of my car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vd_OEKVe7x8

and a side picture of it going sideways:

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/7861/img296023.jpg
It seems your mods are not helping your trap speed My Clk55 trapped almost 109 bonestock in 60F.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:05 AM

'05 CLK55, '04 CLK320
I doubt it is from the cluster I'm sure it is a disconnect. thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try next time I go racing
no its from the cluster. its the same way you get to the battery voltage. turn the key one click. adjust the cluster so that you see the outside temperature only. then push the reset button three times. the voltage should come up. then scroll down to dyno mode.

what brand and size tires are you running? about time you posted a driving clip, it sounds great!
Old 05-01-2010, 08:13 AM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 ML-500 , 03 CLK5.5 AMG has left the Garage
Dyno Mode from The instrument cluster

It can be done , work effectively. Do s search Dyno Mode in the C-32 / C-55 section. There is also a Sticky there too.

Dyno Mode!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mods, can we please sticky this in this section...there are too many new people that don't know what to do in order to dyno their car...

here it is:

Dyno Mode
To Dyno your C32, you will need to do the following:
1. To start, the key must be removed from the ignition.
2. Insert the key and turn to position 1.
3. Immediately press and hold the trip odometer reset button until the instrument cluster beeps. There is no visual message, only an audio beep. Be patient, this takes around 40 seconds.
4. Press the lower menu button (it looks like two sheets of paper, the one with the writing in the background behind the blank one) 5. Press the up arrow button.
6. Press the "+" sign to disable the Traction System (turn "ON" test mode) 7. Start the engine, the traction system is now disabled.
To return to normal, remove the key and restart the engine. The traction control warning should no longer be in the cluster. If it is, shut the engine off and remove the key again. Then insert the key and turn to position 1. Note that the DYNO test screen is displayed immediately. Push the "-" button to enable the traction system (turn "OFF" test mode)
NOTE: When you first turn the key to position 1, ESP DYNO Test screen pops up, then after 1-2 seconds it may disappear while faults are displayed. If you weren't fast enough in pressing the "-" button before codes were displayed, just wait until all codes cycle by, then the ESP DYNO Test screen will reappear.
No, this doesn't work for any car but the 203, before you ask.
Enjoy, and I'm not buying you new tires!
On cars equipped with Command, to enter the diagnostic screen press and hold the following keys for about 8 seconds: Mute + 1 + 3

Thanks,
1FASTC32

You can get into the 12.70s, I've been there , with a N/A 03 CLK55 AMG. Not all that much different than yours. I did install a Quaife TBD , and Drag MTs drag Radials

Regards _PTEngieering

Last edited by PTE; 05-01-2010 at 08:20 AM.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
##

PTE - 12.7's with a n/a CLK55 is my goal too... Good to know it can be done!!!! It's all in the 60' IMHO.... that lsd / drag radials make all the difference. My stock CLK just blows the (tire) away on launch. Probably the combination of wgt tight suspension and one wheel peel.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:29 PM

CLK55 '05 CLK320 '02
Originally Posted by Jons95c36amg
It seems your mods are not helping your trap speed My Clk55 trapped almost 109 bonestock in 60F.
Yea I know that was why I started this thread to find out what im doing wrong

Originally Posted by Moedy
no its from the cluster. its the same way you get to the battery voltage. turn the key one click. adjust the cluster so that you see the outside temperature only. then push the reset button three times. the voltage should come up. then scroll down to dyno mode.

what brand and size tires are you running? about time you posted a driving clip, it sounds great!
I have Continental Extreme Contact DWS I am running 235/40/18 and 265/35/18
They are all season performance tires. I know they are not the best for racing but I need the all season tires because of the weather here.
I will try to post a driving sound clip as soon as I can thanks

Originally Posted by PTE
It can be done , work effectively. Do s search Dyno Mode in the C-32 / C-55 section. There is also a Sticky there too.

Dyno Mode!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mods, can we please sticky this in this section...there are too many new people that don't know what to do in order to dyno their car...

here it is:

Dyno Mode
To Dyno your C32, you will need to do the following:
1. To start, the key must be removed from the ignition.
2. Insert the key and turn to position 1.
3. Immediately press and hold the trip odometer reset button until the instrument cluster beeps. There is no visual message, only an audio beep. Be patient, this takes around 40 seconds.
4. Press the lower menu button (it looks like two sheets of paper, the one with the writing in the background behind the blank one) 5. Press the up arrow button.
6. Press the "+" sign to disable the Traction System (turn "ON" test mode) 7. Start the engine, the traction system is now disabled.
To return to normal, remove the key and restart the engine. The traction control warning should no longer be in the cluster. If it is, shut the engine off and remove the key again. Then insert the key and turn to position 1. Note that the DYNO test screen is displayed immediately. Push the "-" button to enable the traction system (turn "OFF" test mode)
NOTE: When you first turn the key to position 1, ESP DYNO Test screen pops up, then after 1-2 seconds it may disappear while faults are displayed. If you weren't fast enough in pressing the "-" button before codes were displayed, just wait until all codes cycle by, then the ESP DYNO Test screen will reappear.
No, this doesn't work for any car but the 203, before you ask.
Enjoy, and I'm not buying you new tires!
On cars equipped with Command, to enter the diagnostic screen press and hold the following keys for about 8 seconds: Mute + 1 + 3

Thanks,
1FASTC32

You can get into the 12.70s, I've been there , with a N/A 03 CLK55 AMG. Not all that much different than yours. I did install a Quaife TBD , and Drag MTs drag Radials

Regards _PTEngieering
Thanks for the info I appreciate it

Well my first goal was getting a 13.1 with what I have so far. I am getting an LSD added to my car but I am going to do that with a supercharger, cams, and an ECU upgrade all at once. I thought of buying the drag radial when I reach that point but after talking to some friends we might just buy the drag radials and share them between us rather then each one buying his own.

Would changing my suspension have any affect or my launch or is it just not worth the trouble?

Originally Posted by betrezra
PTE - 12.7's with a n/a CLK55 is my goal too... Good to know it can be done!!!! It's all in the 60' IMHO.... that lsd / drag radials make all the difference. My stock CLK just blows the (tire) away on launch. Probably the combination of wgt tight suspension and one wheel peel.

Tires just can't grip!!
Old 05-02-2010, 03:50 PM

CLK55 AMG
that sounds bad ***!!!!

I like ur fog lights how did u get them done?
btw ru running stock exhaust it sounds mean!!!
and do u have a diffuser there I couldn't really tell
hid foglight, it look brighter in actual tho. also i just done the quad exhaust with straight pipe and yea it does have a diffuser ..
Old 05-03-2010, 03:38 AM

CLK55 '05 CLK320 '02
hid foglight, it look brighter in actual tho. also i just done the quad exhaust with straight pipe and yea it does have a diffuser ..
I really like the way it looks!!
where did u get ur diffuser from? and the HID kit?
Old 05-03-2010, 11:19 AM
Banned

benzo larenzo

YOU ARE THE MAN!!!! i did it now i can do sick *** burn outs!
Old 05-03-2010, 11:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C63
new tires will be the absolute worst for drag racing. Put on some bald tires on the rear, and set to about 20 psi. bald tires will pick up the trackbite they lay down and you will have better grip. Drag radials work well also.

You can probably get some bald tires from any tire shop for nothing.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C63
also, I do not recommend turning on dyno mode or even disabling traction control. if you're spinning your tires off the line, you need to improve traction. you need all that off the line torque to hit 12's. every tenth you save in the 60 foot gets you 2-3 tenths in the 1/4.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C55
I agree, with 107 trap speeds you should be able to hit 13.1-13.2 so you are giving up a few tenths b/c of traction. On the AMGs, 25psi seems to be a good tire pressure at the strip.

Thats exactly what I ran when I had a LET tune and deleted secondaries. 13.1 @ 107mph in 80 degree weather.

Its all about feathering the throttle.

I'm hoping to hit mid 12's with slicks now that i have my kleeman headers/tune.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
^^solid time!
Old 05-04-2010, 09:09 AM

'05 CLK55, '04 CLK320
Originally Posted by badblackbenz550
YOU ARE THE MAN!!!! i did it now i can do sick *** burn outs!
haha thanks thats the only way I could figure out to burn out. the rpm's still cut off when you just turn off the traction control.

hami why don't you dyno your car? you should be pushing at least 30 more hp at the wheels. I would think you should be trapping at around 109. plus you have the benefit of having an experienced driver like Ahmed living near by. I would let him launch the car a few times
Old 05-04-2010, 10:57 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
CLK 55 AMG 2005 and CLK 63 AMG cab.2007 - 2009 EVO - 2013 ML63 AMG - 2018 G63 AMG

Did you just hit the traction control button off or did you truly completely disengage it? (two totally different things). If you didn't it could still have been kicking in thereby causing it to bog.
Do you mean, the best option with AMG's is to disable ESP (ESP off button)
or to do the "Dyno Mode" trick ?

and do you put the transmission in Sport mode or Manuel mode ?
Old 05-07-2010, 12:31 PM

CLK55 AMG
I really like the way it looks!!
where did u get ur diffuser from? and the HID kit?
diffuser is VIS, and HID is from McCulloch i got my kit on below link.

http://www.xenonking.com/

look for promo code for discount.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:36 AM

CLK55 '05 CLK320 '02
Originally Posted by mikekuriger
also, I do not recommend turning on dyno mode or even disabling traction control. if you're spinning your tires off the line, you need to improve traction. you need all that off the line torque to hit 12's. every tenth you save in the 60 foot gets you 2-3 tenths in the 1/4.
Thanks

Originally Posted by RLx02
Thats exactly what I ran when I had a LET tune and deleted secondaries. 13.1 @ 107mph in 80 degree weather.

Its all about feathering the throttle.

I'm hoping to hit mid 12's with slicks now that i have my kleeman headers/tune.
goood stuff keeep me posted when u hit those 12's!

haha thanks thats the only way I could figure out to burn out. the rpm's still cut off when you just turn off the traction control.

hami why don't you dyno your car? you should be pushing at least 30 more hp at the wheels. I would think you should be trapping at around 109. plus you have the benefit of having an experienced driver like Ahmed living near by. I would let him launch the car a few times
Lets organize a drag strip meet and do this

diffuser is VIS, and HID is from McCulloch i got my kit on below link.

http://www.xenonking.com/

look for promo code for discount.
Thanks for the link I'll give it a look
Old 06-07-2010, 02:29 AM

CLK55 '05 CLK320 '02
Originally Posted by PTE

Regards _PTEngieering
I was going over the thread again and I had a question for you. Which would you recommend to install a Kleemann LSD or the Quaife? I have been trying to compare between them but was not able to find enough differences, I am not saying they are the same thing but I could not find a significant difference. I could be wrong though
Old 05-12-2011, 01:06 PM

2005 SL600 by SPEEDRIVEN
Kleemann LSD or the Quaife LSD

I have the Kleemann LSD and asked this question of an installer who has seen and installed both and he indicated the Quaife LSD was better as it had more variations.

Last edited by ashutt; 05-12-2011 at 04:27 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: bad day at the drag, any advice?