CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

CLK55 vs. E46 M3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2002 | 04:09 PM
Banned

Smart Car
Originally posted by vivianlove
I don't know what is my time, whether is 4.7 or not but I never lost to a CLK55.

Agree what Deejay Falco said

THats right, because you never raced against one!! hahahahahaha
Put two professionals in two same cars and one will still win and one will loose, so much for the professional driver theory from a DJ! I say something's not spinning right in this PSEUDOscientist head. Stick with spinning vinal under the exact saame conditions, CLOWN!
Old 03-21-2002 | 04:28 PM
Banned

Smart Car
There are also dudes on this board, like Drew, who made numerous clames that he beat M5's and also I tried to flame him for that but that is oh so true. What is the point of bragging about car's abilities if it can never be duplicated in the case of owners of these cars? I will never believe times posted by BMW on their web page, like I said, who knows what they did to get to those numbers. M3 0-60 in 4.7 sec? Proove it to me, dont just give me number lifted of somewhere. and if you can't than case closed and Prince Samir and Drew are kings of da hill so to say.
Old 03-21-2002 | 05:45 PM

2001 BMW M3
I have been waiting for Samir to reply back. Have yet to hear from him.

For whatever it's worth...this Laguna Seca Blue M3 is not stock.

I know this car. It has a shorft shift kit in it and it has 19 in Hamann rims on them.

Now some may say that this would make the car faster...but some may claim it makes the car slower.

Just posting what I know.

In addition, this car has a modified stereo system in it which would add some weight but however....I know it has some racing seats in it which would lighten up the load.

Rod
2001 Jet Black M3
Old 03-21-2002 | 06:16 PM

2017 C63 | 2018 E63
This race was about 2 months ago in front of D2 Technik in Alhambra. The owner Jeff has the Hamann exhaust and SSK. I also have 19s, so that doesn't matter. Look, my point for posting this originally was not to claim one car is better, but merely point out that the CLK55 is not as slow as a lot of people think it is...it deserves more credit. Plus, there is so much more power waiting to be extracted from the M113 V8...the same cannot be said for the S54 I6. A little bit of tuning will put the CLK55 in the low 4s 0-60.
Old 03-21-2002 | 07:02 PM

2002M3
Originally posted by Fast Eddy
Put two professionals in two same cars and one will still win and one will loose, so much for the professional driver theory from a DJ! I say something's not spinning right in this PSEUDOscientist head. Stick with spinning vinal under the exact saame conditions, CLOWN!

Fast Eddy,

You probably didn't read any of my posts. I said earlier that my friend owned a CLK55. We race each other so many times over the year and sometime we switch car to race each other; same result M3 win. I don't have a slice of bias in me because I'm the person who loves cars in general. I don't own a CLK55 but I had a CLK430 and a M3. I also drive a Honda Civic for all this years. To me, a CLK55 or CLK430 is a better car than a M3 and no doubt in my mind CLK is better in quality too; that doesn't means CLK55 is a faster car.

CLK55 4.9 Sec ¡V Ferrari360 4.5 ¡V M3 4.8 Sec
Are you saying CLK55 can beat Ferrari360 too? Lets say Ferrari360 lost to a CLK55 simply because of driver error. Are you going to say CLK55 is a better and faster car?

Just because my view is different from yours and you had to call people name to get even, VERY NICE of you!

Last edited by vivianlove; 03-21-2002 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-21-2002 | 07:10 PM

E36 BMW ///M3
Re: Re: Ridiculous and Childish

Originally posted by AolHoward

Maybe I am not a good stick shift driver but how many of you normal drivers can actually achieve the 4.7 seconds posted by BMW ??

the correct # for CLK55 is 4.9, if the M3 miss a shift, game over !!
Obviously you did not read what I said completely or you misunderstood my point. My point was that the M3 was faster while comparing professional drivers in a controlled enviroment. My second point was that it was not fair to argue that the CLK-55 was quicker because it won in the video.

There are too many sources of error that would flaw the result of that race. True, it may be more likely that you win in a CLK 55 because there are less CHANCE of error (due to the vehicle being automatic,) and thus you that car may win in the street more.

HOWEVER, this does not change the fact that the CLK 55 is slower than the E46 M3.

Finally, when a vehicle is tested on 0-60 runs with professional drivers, manual transmissions have a much larger standard deviation from the average than an automatic vehicle would. This, of course, holds true in a manual transmission, and this large extremeties are obviously due to mis-shifts or superb launches and clean/poor shifting.

So if anybody rolls up in the CLK 55 against an E46 M3 (Manual), the outcome is completely dependent on the E46 M3 driver because of the great range of standard deviations from its 0-60 time based on skill. The CLK 55 will most likely be the winner versus novice or slightly skilled manual drivers, but mediocre or better shifters will definately take the CLK 55 out. Remember, stepping on the gas on an automatic transmissoin will produce a very high "r-value" correlation (if you have studied statistics, you know what I mean), while a manual transmission will have a lower one.

The point here is: A professional E46 Driver on a very good launch could quite possibly land the 0-60 in ~4.4 seconds, whilst a novice shifter might land somewhere around ~5.3-5.4 seconds. Ergo, the result can go either way--depending on the E46 M3 Driver's Skill.

John
Old 03-21-2002 | 07:20 PM

E36 BMW ///M3

You have a very silly mind. You don't even make sense ... I've re-read your post several times. When addressing an individual it is polite to use correct grammar in order to emanate your point. The fact that you called me a clown accents your immaturity and lack of intelligence. Name-calling is simply a feeble attempt to attack another individual with means to make ones case more fortified.

If you read what I said completely, my theory actually makes sense. There is no method more exact, (not in our world of newtonian and quantum physics) that can prove anything any better than the scientific method.

John
Old 03-21-2002 | 07:34 PM

DeeJay Falco, an E55 does 0-60 in 4.8 seconds. That's the fastest time i've seen for it by Motor Trend. The CLK55 weighs 236 lbs. less than the E55. So the CLK55 will at least do 4.8 0-60 if not less.
Fastest time i've seen for a M3 has been 4.6 seconds 0-60.
Old 03-21-2002 | 07:46 PM

E36 BMW ///M3
Originally posted by Blue Benz
DeeJay Falco, an E55 does 0-60 in 4.8 seconds. That's the fastest time i've seen for it by Motor Trend. The CLK55 weighs 236 lbs. less than the E55. So the CLK55 will at least do 4.8 0-60 if not less.
Fastest time i've seen for a M3 has been 4.6 seconds 0-60.
I don't know what you mean by "E55" but I'm guessing you're referring to the E46 M3.

Why are we comparing weights when that is not the only factor determining 0-60 times?

As I was saying, ~4.4 could have happened once on the course, maybe 2% of the total trials. Same would go for ~5.5 seconds, or vice versa. Manual transmissions have greater ranges of speeds because of its larger range for error--but along with a larger range of error goes a larger range for very high efficiency.

What you see in Motor Trend is the AVERAGE of several runs. This means for 4.8 seconds to be the average, there might have been one run at ~4.4 seconds, three at ~4.5, seven at ~4.6, ten at ~4.7, fifteen at ~4.8, ten at ~4.9, seven at ~5.0, three at ~5.1, and one at ~5.2. Just to give you an idea ...

The average would be ~4.8 seconds, but there are still 0-60's both quicker and slower than the average. It's never exact on a manual. However on an automatic, the mean is much closer to the mode (the higher occuring number) and there is not as much standard deviation as I have clearly stated above.

John
Old 03-21-2002 | 07:59 PM

E55 = 4-door version of the CLK55. Same engine, transmission and differential. I'm comparing weights because the E55 weighs 236 lbs. more than the CLK55. As far as I know, only Road & Track publishes the average of 0-60 times, I could be wrong. Now if a E55 can pull off 0-60 in 4.8 seconds, don't you think a E55 with 276 lbs. shaved off (which is what a CLK55 pretty much is, and it has 2 less doors) would do better? Certainly wouldn't be slower.

Also, some CLK55 owners say they have trouble getting all that power the V-8 has to the ground especially on the stock 17" rims that come with the CLK55. Doesn't mean the CLK55 is going to get a easy launch every one of those times for the average. Just something to think about.

Last edited by Blue Benz; 03-21-2002 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-21-2002 | 08:01 PM

2017 C63 | 2018 E63
How about not dwelling on 0-60 times, but instead looking at other areas of performance, like say 0-100 or 60-150? 0-60 is merely one aspect of measuring a car's performance.
Old 03-21-2002 | 08:03 PM

E36 BMW ///M3
Originally posted by Blue Benz
E55 = 4-door version of the CLK55. Same engine, transmission and differential. I'm comparing weights because the E55 weighs 236 lbs. more than the CLK55. As far as I know, only Road & Track publishes the average of 0-60 times. Now if a E55 can pull off 0-60 in 4.8 seconds, don't you think a E55 with 276 lbs. shaved off (which is what a CLK55 pretty much is, and it has 2 less doors) would do better? Certainly wouldn't be slower.
Hmmmm... I definately do see you're point there. Is the car EXACTLY the same except for the weight? If so, I'll have to do some research ... but in the case that they are equal except for weight, then it is definately possible that the CLK-55 would be quicker than the E55's time.

Do you have your sources somewhere online I can read about?

John
Old 03-21-2002 | 08:12 PM

I got the weight for the E55 and CLK55 and 0-60 time for the E55 all from Motor Trend. Maybe you could do a search on motertrend.com and see what comes up.
Old 03-22-2002 | 01:06 AM
Banned

Smart Car
Originally posted by Deejay Falco

You have a very silly mind. You don't even make sense ... I've re-read your post several times. When addressing an individual it is polite to use correct grammar in order to emanate your point. The fact that you called me a clown accents your immaturity and lack of intelligence. Name-calling is simply a feeble attempt to attack another individual with means to make ones case more fortified.

If you read what I said completely, my theory actually makes sense. There is no method more exact, (not in our world of newtonian and quantum physics) that can prove anything any better than the scientific method.

John
No, your theory actually does not make sence to me apperantly you don't have ability to understand this it is beyond your imagination so to say. Let me repeat it to you one more time----put two pro drivers behind the wheel of two same cars let them race against each other and you will get two results regardless of the fact that htey are professionals----one will be a winner in the race and the other pro in the same car will loose. It makes sence to me If you don't get it there is to much spinning going on, take a break from vanil.
Lets say we disagree and move on to the next record, will ya?

Last edited by Fast Eddy; 03-22-2002 at 01:08 AM.
Old 03-22-2002 | 01:10 AM
Banned

Smart Car
Laguna Seca------I like to say it out loud
Old 03-22-2002 | 01:23 AM
Banned

Smart Car

John
YOu are spinning numbers here like vinyl dont you? Now it all makes sence to me.
I also posted before that what is the point of you posting this unrealistic times here if you, the DJ can never duplicate it. Instead of going on and on here chewing through meaningless numbers why don't you arrrrange to run with Samir and lets see if you are lightly skilled or mediocre shifter, by the way those two sound like the same thing to me. Go on meet with prince Samir and lets see what you can do and I'm not interested in that pro driver BS.
Laguna seca, brother, peace out. (I'm practicing different expressions, please disregard!)

Last edited by Fast Eddy; 03-22-2002 at 01:50 AM.
Old 03-22-2002 | 01:35 AM
Banned

Smart Car
Originally posted by vivianlove

Fast Eddy,

You probably didn't read any of my posts. I said earlier that my friend owned a CLK55. We race each other so many times over the year and sometime we switch car to race each other; same result M3 win. I don't have a slice of bias in me because I'm the person who loves cars in general. I don't own a CLK55 but I had a CLK430 and a M3. I also drive a Honda Civic for all this years. To me, a CLK55 or CLK430 is a better car than a M3 and no doubt in my mind CLK is better in quality too; that doesn't means CLK55 is a faster car.

CLK55 4.9 Sec ¡V Ferrari360 4.5 ¡V M3 4.8 Sec
Are you saying CLK55 can beat Ferrari360 too? Lets say Ferrari360 lost to a CLK55 simply because of driver error. Are you going to say CLK55 is a better and faster car?

Just because my view is different from yours and you had to call people name to get even, VERY NICE of you!
Yes, my friend owns bycycle and I own trycycle we race and believe it or not I win. I want you to meet Prince Samir race him like you race your buddy and let the result stand---I just don't see why if you run against your buddy you would not run against Prince Samir and we will let the results stand. Just do it!

You also missed a rice masterpiece "the fast and the furious" they "smoke" Ferraris there all day long. When Prince Samir looses to Ferrari than and only than will I think about it. Do you have a friend with Ferrari that you race, can you arrange it? I believe P. Samir is always on hte stand by---for he is a true car entusiast.

Last edited by Fast Eddy; 03-22-2002 at 01:52 AM.
Old 03-22-2002 | 01:43 AM
Banned

Smart Car

John
Ok Dj Vinyl, to follow your theory there would not be any races, no daytonas, formulas 1, no races period. YOu just take the car run your best time post it and get the prize. In every race the winner is the best driver on that day--- to follow your theory there alays would be the same winner in every race in the same car. Is that the case? HOw many drivers show faster qualifying time and then go to loose race by a lot? THat is the norm, what you are talking here is nonsence, the best driver on the given day is the winner, will he be able to duplicate it race after race----- I dont think so.

Last edited by Fast Eddy; 03-22-2002 at 02:13 AM.
Old 03-22-2002 | 02:04 AM
Out Of Control!!

GUYS!!! If I remeber correctly, this post was supposed to be about which cars were better, not which of us are better. I am asking everyone to please refrain from personal attacks towards any member of this forum. While this board welcomes free speech, as we find it to be beneficial to everyone to be able to see different opinions regarding Mercedes related topics, insults have no place here and will not be tolerated.
Old 03-22-2002 | 02:10 AM

2008 CLS 63 & 2005 SL55
Originally posted by Mach430
GUYS!!! If I remeber correctly, this post was supposed to be about which cars were better, not which of us are better. I am asking everyone to please refrain from personal attacks towards any member of this forum. While this board welcomes free speech, as we find it to be beneficial to everyone to be able to see different opinions regarding Mercedes related topics, insults have no place here and will not be tolerated.
Mach430,

I totally agree with you. There is no reason to attack anyone on this board.

"Bear"
Old 03-22-2002 | 08:35 AM

CLK430

Last edited by kingman18; 04-27-2020 at 02:22 AM.
Old 03-22-2002 | 01:03 PM

2001 BMW M3
Originally posted by Samir
This race was about 2 months ago in front of D2 Technik in Alhambra. The owner Jeff has the Hamann exhaust and SSK. I also have 19s, so that doesn't matter. Look, my point for posting this originally was not to claim one car is better, but merely point out that the CLK55 is not as slow as a lot of people think it is...it deserves more credit. Plus, there is so much more power waiting to be extracted from the M113 V8...the same cannot be said for the S54 I6. A little bit of tuning will put the CLK55 in the low 4s 0-60.

Thanks for the reply Samir. Yes..the owner's name is Jeff.

And please don't get all defensive. I didn't claim one car was better than the other or anything. I think both cars are great and fast.

You may have done it on a previous thread but on this one...you don't mention that Jeff has a Hamann exaust and SSK. You also don't mention that he had 19 in rims. I didn't even know you did.

My point is that people are coming to the conclusion that one car bone stock is faster than the other bone stock based on the video you have posted.

Both of your cars are not stock.

Rod
2001 Jet Black M3
Old 03-22-2002 | 01:09 PM

2001 BMW M3
How about not dwelling on 0-60 times, but instead looking at other areas of performance, like say 0-100 or 60-150? 0-60 is merely one aspect of measuring a car's performance.
Samir,

You raise some good points but how far did you race in the video?

Quarter mile?

Rod
2001 Jet Black M3
Old 03-22-2002 | 07:42 PM

E36 BMW ///M3
Fast Eddy:

Firstly, please stop using my name (Deejay Falco) as a method of attacking me ... "you are spinning numbers like vinyls" -- that is plain foolish.

Secondly, the word you refer to as "sence" is spelled "sense." Maybe the fact that you don't understand what I'm saying is because you don't speak/read/write in english very well. No offense, but that's how it looks like to me.

Finally, I simply stated that the 0-60's are based on a professional driver's many trials. I never argued that one car would beat another if you have two professional racers racing different cars. I simply said that the AVERAGE of several professional racers driving the same car have a lower 0-60 (ON AVERAGE). Therefore, on AVERAGE, the E46 M3 is faster.

That's all I'm saying.

John
Old 03-26-2002 | 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I totally agree...this post was never intended to put down the M3, but rather prove that unless you know how to shift properly, the CLK55 will win 9/10 times. It's just too bad that AMG doesn't offer a manual transmission.
Give us.. err i mean them a year...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: CLK55 vs. E46 M3