CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

w209 clk55 quad exhaust help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 10:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 clk 55
w209 clk55 quad exhaust help

i recently bought a 03 clk55. the car is absolutely awesome! Anyways i want to upgrade to the quad exhaust setup, what exactly are my options? I want to avoid spending alot so... should i go with a piggyback system or the true duals? I like duals but if i have to change everything(spare tire well, rear swaybar etc) i might just do a piggyback. anyway i dont want to mess up my nice clk55 so any help would be graetly appreciated, thanks.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
True duals and low cost don't go hand in hand on this car.

Search around and you will see a few builds from just running a cross-over pipe right behind the rear bumper.... to the other side (faux duals), to PTE's bad to the bone true dual conversion....

I've yet to see the data supporting the add'l hp/tq (dyno sheets) of running a performance single exhaust vs the dual exhaust on these cars...... even kleeman's k7 still had single exhaust with aftermarket headers, perf cats, and catback....... there are many fast gen 3 firehawks and camaros that ran single exhaust.

From looks/sound - nothing beats true dual exhaust........ looks so mean staring at the back of a clk with dual pipes.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Originally Posted by cobrab19
i recently bought a 03 clk55. the car is absolutely awesome! Anyways i want to upgrade to the quad exhaust setup, what exactly are my options? I want to avoid spending alot so... should i go with a piggyback system or the true duals? I like duals but if i have to change everything(spare tire well, rear swaybar etc) i might just do a piggyback. anyway i dont want to mess up my nice clk55 so any help would be graetly appreciated, thanks.
I think you just answered your own question. Here are a few links to some builds.

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...st-thread.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk55-amg...ect-_pte_.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...new-pipes.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...ed-clk500.html
Old 11-15-2010, 04:08 PM

2003 clk 55
i still dont know what set up though? a muffler/ xpipe or one muffler where the stock one is with 2 outlets, and run the the passenger side tips around the spare well? i just do nt wanna mess up my new beaut.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
It's ultimately up to you. Why don't you go to a local shop and price out both jobs. Regardless of the route, you shouldn't mess it up. There is plenty of documentation on this mod.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
cobra, u read thru all that threads right ?

Andy
Old 11-15-2010, 04:46 PM

2003 clk 55
Originally Posted by M-bENZ
cobra, u read thru all that threads right ?

Andy
ya just still a lil confused/ undecided...im thinking of just an easy piggyback system?
Old 11-15-2010, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
The thread "brandnew pipes" is mine...you can do that. It'll runs you around $500. Or you can do like Wes's setup.

Andy
Old 11-15-2010, 05:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
I don't think he wants a full dual.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:21 PM

2003 clk 55
well i just got back from the exhaust shop and i think ima go with the true dual setup like dynomites. hey please pm me dynomite if u get a chance thanks alot
Old 11-15-2010, 06:27 PM
Out Of Control!!

04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Originally Posted by cobrab19
well i just got back from the exhaust shop and i think ima go with the true dual setup like dynomites. hey please pm me dynomite if u get a chance thanks alot
PM'ed
Old 02-07-2011, 02:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK550
Dyno, how much did your true dual cost you not including the tips?

I'm asking because i don't want to spend more than $350 not including tips. I found a already completed dual for sale by Pepe at AAA exhaust. But my only Q is the exhaust set up i have posted "bad"? Pepe from AA told me that's the setup he does on most CLk's but i'm worried about the performance output of it. It has two inlets going out just like the OEM muffler but one of them extends around the spare.
Attached Thumbnails w209 clk55 quad exhaust help-photo-1.jpg   w209 clk55 quad exhaust help-photo-2.jpg  
Old 02-07-2011, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
I'm sure that'll work and please don't take this next comment as me being a ***** but... that looks like $h!t. An option you have is to run a Magnaflow 12267 in place of the stock muffler, it has an inlet and out let on the rear and one outlet on the front. The front outlet goes to the tip(s) on the drivers side and the outlet on the rear goes around the backside of the wheel well to the tip(s) on the other side.

I have one sitting next to me that I was going to use but decided to do something quite a bit different because I am adding a Kleemann s/c.

Good luck with your project mate, quads are beautiful on the CLK
Old 02-07-2011, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK550
Originally Posted by Kevwood
I'm sure that'll work and please don't take this next comment as me being a ***** but... that looks like $h!t. An option you have is to run a Magnaflow 12267 in place of the stock muffler, it has an inlet and out let on the rear and one outlet on the front. The front outlet goes to the tip(s) on the drivers side and the outlet on the rear goes around the backside of the wheel well to the tip(s) on the other side.

I have one sitting next to me that I was going to use but decided to do something quite a bit different because I am adding a Kleemann s/c.

Would i lose any power doing it the way you're saying? I tottaly agree with you that the picture i posted looks like ****, the exhaust is two years old, but Pepe told me the welding on it was fine and it had no leaks and whatnot. He said it looks like **** but it'll sounds and work just fine. I might ask him to do a custom built though. Anoter option i was thinking was to put the muffler where in the middle of the car-kina like the guy with the CLK500 that's getting S/C'd did-and then having a true dual with two pipes come. Maybe to keep the car from being super loud placing the two bubble silensers right before the tips?
Old 02-07-2011, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
Originally Posted by Amiricanmade
Would i lose any power doing it the way you're saying? I tottaly agree with you that the picture i posted looks like ****, the exhaust is two years old, but Pepe told me the welding on it was fine and it had no leaks and whatnot. He said it looks like **** but it'll sounds and work just fine. I might ask him to do a custom built though. Anoter option i was thinking was to put the muffler where in the middle of the car-kina like the guy with the CLK500 that's getting S/C'd did-and then having a true dual with two pipes come. Maybe to keep the car from being super loud placing the two bubble silensers right before the tips?
No, you wont lose any power doing it behind the wheel well way whatsoever over a stock set up, you'll gain. The Magnaflow is a high flow straight through design, no baffles.

I'm doing something similar to the 'muffler in the middle' but without the immediate dual runs. I am mounting a Magnaflow dual 2.5" in 3" out in place of the resonator (2nd cats deleted), then a short 3" run past the axle and back into dual 2.5's to the quad tips. I am doing this because the H&R rear sway bar I have is single bumped, not dual and I don't want to run a thinner dual bump bar or run a second pipe below the bar.

The system you posted a pic of will probably work just fine and considering that you want to keep the costs down/reasonable, it's probably the best option too right? I would suggest painting the muffler and all the back end piping flat black, leaving it as is, it's going to be very left side bias when viewing it from behind...

Last edited by Kevwood; 02-07-2011 at 12:42 PM. Reason: I can't spell worth a damn...
Old 02-07-2011, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK550
No, you wont lose any power doing it behind the wheel well way whatsoever over a stock set up, you'll gain. The Magnaflow is a high flow straight through design, no baffles.

Is the Magnaflow loud though?

I'm doing something similar to the 'muffler in the middle' but without the immediate dual runs. I am mounting a Magnaflow dual 2.5" in 3" out in place of the resonator (2nd cats deleted), then a short 3" run past the axle and back into dual 2.5's to the quad tips. I am doing this because the H&R rear sway bar I have is single bumped, not dual and I don't want to run a thinner dual bump bar or run a second pipe below the bar.

Gotcha.

The system you posted a pic of will probably work just fine and considering that you want to keep the costs down/reasonable, it's probably the best option too right? I would suggest painting the muffler and all the back end piping flat black, leaving it as is, it's going to be very left side bias when viewing it from behind...

Gotcha. I'm gonna ask Pepe how much doing a true dual would cost me. For a extra $150-250 i'm willing to do it, any more not so much since i won't really be gaining any performance from it.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am willing to bet my ex-wife's life that it's going to be a heack of a lot more than and extra $150 to do true dual, I could be wrong, but with this wager I'm not too concerned

Is the Magnaflow loud? No, not with the cats and resonator still in place. What you will get though is a really low, mellow, throaty sound. Oh ya
Old 02-07-2011, 02:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Originally Posted by Amiricanmade
Dyno, how much did your true dual cost you not including the tips?

I'm asking because i don't want to spend more than $350 not including tips. I found a already completed dual for sale by Pepe at AAA exhaust. But my only Q is the exhaust set up i have posted "bad"? Pepe from AA told me that's the setup he does on most CLk's but i'm worried about the performance output of it. It has two inlets going out just like the OEM muffler but one of them extends around the spare.
My setup was way more than $350. The spare wheel well alone was $250.

Funny, that's the same setup Klinh has.