CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Need Help! Stereo Install w/ HK for CLK55 (w209)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK55
Need Help! Stereo Install w/ HK for CLK55 (w209)

Well, I'm a newbie. I have been searching the forums in an effort to find information that will help me install a new sound system using my stock HU. I have a 2005 CLK55 cabriolet (w209) with the Harmon Kardon sound system. My plans are to tap into the existing speaker wires connected to the HK amp in an effort to install a hi/lo converter on the output side of the amp. I understand from reading various posts that its possible to tie in on the output side in an effort to avoid messing with the fiber optic connections and to maintain all existing controls (steering wheel etc.). I'm hoping someone can give me some tips on first locating the HK amp and second any wiring diagrams or information to know which wire connects to which speaker. Also, any information as to the best location to tie into the existing speaker wires going to the factory sub will help. I haven't decided to do a full replacement or just the sub to start. Next, does anyone know if the speaker wires carry any amps to control the remote function on the MTX REQ5 I'm planning to use. If I do decide to install an entirely new system I'm wondering if anyone has tied into the existing speaker wires going to the doors from the new amps (connected to new speakers in the door obviously). I've found a lot about Bose systems, but very little about HK. I really appreciate any help any of you can provide to help with this install. Best I can tell I can do a complete speaker overhaul for about a third of the cost that's been quoted by a professional installer. I've got some experience with car audio from back in the day, so I'm hopeful this project will be like riding a bike. Thanks again.

Last edited by benamg22; 11-27-2010 at 09:24 PM.