CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Newbie owner, pls help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 06:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
220SEb; CLK55 AMG
Newbie owner, pls help!

Hi Guys

Just recently became the proud owner of a CLK55 AMG W208, and have already found this forum a mine of useful information.
Car has a couple of wrinkles to iron out (ie someone had loosened off the main earth under the seat and caused all sorts of random gremlins...seat modules needed replacement, and a dead battery caused reset issues).

This being the case, I took it to the local stealership to get fault codes cleared and a new report to see if there are any real issues. The 'final' report I rec'd contained piled of stored codes that I know should have been cleared ie 'supply voltage of unit x too low' and LH seat module CAN communication errors etc - all sorts of stuff that would have happened if vehicle was started with low battery and before replacing the seat modules etc.
I started to believe therefore that maybe they had not actually cleared the codes, being blinded by the $$$ signs instead....female, new car, unknown (as yet) issues...you know the drill. 'Oh, I dont know, so many errors, bring it back in we'll take a look, could be all your ECU's need replacing...look, see we fixed it...proof see, now there's no more error codes...one million dollars thanks!!'

Having only a day pass for rego, took it to another MB service tech who did same test and only reported 3 errors. One is a failure to communicate with BAS module. This, funnily enough, did not appear in the first report...then I noticed that the first stealership had selected 210.074 as the model designation for the diagnosis rather than the correct 208.374.

So a couple of questions:
1) If a multitude of stored fault codes (about 20) were still present as stored only (not current) after the first clearing, am I correct in assuming they didn't actually clear it or am I just being paranoid?

2) Does anyone know what repercussions entering the wrong model code would have on the results of the DAS? Especially in relation to the fact that it didn't pick up any problems with BAS, and could this have also caused a failure to clear fault codes properly?

3) If the DAS is not even recognising the BAS module...where do I start - check power to unit then...?

Last edited by Das Heckflosse; 05-05-2011 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Clarification of question
Old 05-06-2011, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts
2002 CLK430
If the battery was almost dead, has been replaced, and the codes were not cleared after the battery was replaced, all bets are off. I would clear the codes, drive it for a week or so, and check back again. You may find all the codes were related to low voltage.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
220SEb; CLK55 AMG
More info...

Fault codes were cleared by another dealership - all low volt codes etc disappeared.

Little note: I do not have a diagnostic tool, so I have to pay everytime codes need checking/clearing and at the moment I need a signoff confirming ECU & SRS circuitry all OK in order to be registered in my state (don't ask!). So I also have to pay for a rego day pass everytime.

When I got the most recent printout, the guys said they couldn't sign off because it was not registering the BAS module - the printout shows a blank box under the BAS section rather than the module P/N. However,
I later noted on the DAS printout from the other dealership that there was no separate section for BAS. Can anyone confirm if different versions of DAS or something would include BAS as part of the ESP section readout? i.e is it not reading the BAS module separately because it's accounted for under ESP?