CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Blower won't shut off, battery draining!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK 430
Blower won't shut off, battery draining!!

I recently came out to find my W208 dead a s a doornail. Figuring the battery was the issue (I purchased the car used and don't know when it was last replaced), I bought/installed a new one. After connecting the terminals, the blower won't shut off. The AC/heat seems to work fine, but it appears to be the blower which handles the defrost which is on constantly (even after the key is removed, climate control reset, etc). The only way I can get this off is by disconnecting the battery. A couple of odd electrical gremlins turned up simultaneously after reconnecting the battery, but this one is the most prohibitive as it will just drain the battery (others are, the BAS malfunction turned on, driver's side window rolls all the way up, then down 4-5 inches immediately after I release the switch...and a few more). Oh, and a quick mention - I also noticed when I was driving the car fine the day before the battery was noticed to be dead, the blower all together (heat, AC, defrost...everything) was not blowing any air (could hear the compressor still turn on, etc).

In any case, I'm hoping there is some help out there. In searching for similar, I came across a post for W210's where someone offered up a defective Blower Motor Resistor/Regulator:
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...g-battery.html

It looks like the similar W208 part is:
http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...stor/Regulator
Does that look right? How does one get in to swap it out?

I'm very handy with cars and my W208 is an absolute beauty and pleasure to drive, but I'm hoping this is an easy fix because I'm at my last straw with this car. I've owned it for less than a year and it's been a money pit and lemon since the day I took the keys, despite my love for it.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Change the blower motor resistor on a W208 CLK? It takes 15 to 20 minutes. Here's a link.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK 430
That's what I was thinking. Went ahead and ordered the part yesterday - I think it was a perfect storm, though.

One week before, I had a car wash, and shortly thereafter, water started draining into the passenger side foot well. As I've seen, this appears to be some sort of full/clogged filter? However, I think that may have shorted the blower motor resistor, and the electrical gremlins are a part of the battery being disconnected/things needing to be reset.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Here on some notes on changing the W208 cabin filter.