CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Potential winter intake setup?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 335i 03 CLK55 AMG
Potential winter intake setup?

Well, of course the day after my rear window gets stuck its raining like crazy outside. 335i is also down until Friday because of my fuel pump. Bored and thinking of ways to toy around with the CLK in the garage I was thinking of a potential intake setup. If I removed the entire airbox and just put a mushroom filter directly on the throttle body like an HKS for example would it be beneficial? Before everyone attacks me right away on how its nothing but hot air I was thinking that the increased volume of air + the cool air from the factory snorkels could potentially be beneficial for a winter setup...especially highway. With the filter directly on the throttle body there is no restriction in terms of tubing...no tight turns or any of that limiting air intake. The air going in will be direct, and instant. Now that winter is approaching, the outside air being colder, I felt that the factory snorkels could supply added air and bring the temps down a bit. They are positioned very well in the grill, and should take in plenty of cold outside air. If you see the picture, (sorry for the poor quality but you get the idea) the snorkels will supply cold air from the outside and kind of funnel towards the middle where the air filter is. In addition to the cold air from the snorkels the filter directly on the throttle body will supply more volume. Do you feel that the combination of volume with higher intake temperatures + the cooler air from the snorkels could potentially be more effective then the current factory airbox? Volume is key for better performance but so is cooler air and I figured with the length of the factory snorkels it could help to cool the intake air temp and also cool the block as well. Anyone have any comments on this? Sorry if it sounds ridiculous I'm just bored and trying to come up with new ideas.
Attached Thumbnails Potential winter intake setup?-rsz_copy_of_img00087-20111116-1558.jpg  
Old 11-16-2011, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar
Originally Posted by AMGJared
Well, of course the day after my rear window gets stuck its raining like crazy outside. 335i is also down until Friday because of my fuel pump. Bored and thinking of ways to toy around with the CLK in the garage I was thinking of a potential intake setup. If I removed the entire airbox and just put a mushroom filter directly on the throttle body like an HKS for example would it be beneficial? Before everyone attacks me right away on how its nothing but hot air I was thinking that the increased volume of air + the cool air from the factory snorkels could potentially be beneficial for a winter setup...especially highway. With the filter directly on the throttle body there is no restriction in terms of tubing...no tight turns or any of that limiting air intake. The air going in will be direct, and instant. Now that winter is approaching, the outside air being colder, I felt that the factory snorkels could supply added air and bring the temps down a bit. They are positioned very well in the grill, and should take in plenty of cold outside air. If you see the picture, (sorry for the poor quality but you get the idea) the snorkels will supply cold air from the outside and kind of funnel towards the middle where the air filter is. In addition to the cold air from the snorkels the filter directly on the throttle body will supply more volume. Do you feel that the combination of volume with higher intake temperatures + the cooler air from the snorkels could potentially be more effective then the current factory airbox? Volume is key for better performance but so is cooler air and I figured with the length of the factory snorkels it could help to cool the intake air temp and also cool the block as well. Anyone have any comments on this? Sorry if it sounds ridiculous I'm just bored and trying to come up with new ideas.
I appreciate what you are attempting to do, but I do not see that being very beneficial.

1. You will have turbulent air.
2. Air velocity will be down.
3. You have to use the HKS filter, you know the nickname of that filter? It's called the mushroom of doom. Filter falls apart and slurp....
4. Will look horrible,

If you want to play with something, I would try to mimic a setup for our cars much like the needswings intake for the SRT-6 crossfire. That I could see as beneficial.

But if you want to improve your intake, go with E55/SL55 stock airboxes or a Renntech CF airbox would be best.

Or just throw a set of high flow filters.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 335i 03 CLK55 AMG
I hear you. It seems like this setup would be more beneficial if it worked perfectly like how I'm thinking in my head. I know about HKS being bad filters, my first choice would be Apexi but I doubt it would fit and for anything else to fit it would probably be very difficult as well. I know it wouldn't look good either, it would look funny but I'm not putting my hood up in the winter so aesthetics wasn't in mind, just more so performance. I also forgot to mention that it is roughly a 8.5 lb weight reduction.