CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Wobble / Judder when pulling away

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 05:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 55 AMG
Wobble / Judder when pulling away

Hi All,

I recently joined the MB club with a recent purchase of a 2002 CLK 55AMG W208.... i did all the usual checks and engine and transmission seemed sound, however neglected to check the car under load and now after having the car for a week i am noticing a slight wobble or judder when the car is pulling away before i get on the gas.... its an auto transmission, goes through the gears ok and pulls well, no whining, or grinding noises in any gears, a very very slight delay is apparent when getting on the gas to the revs picking up... it sits well on an incline with no rolling back....

I am hoping that this is engine mounts or air flow problem, although ticks over ok, even though it puls well it does seem a little laboured however having never driven a 55 amg before and it being ten years old i am not sure how it should pull...

Hoping that someone here can advise me on the best course of action... its booked into the garage on monday and i will post their comments on here...

Look forward to hearing from someone...

Many Thanks
Old 06-12-2012, 09:32 AM

CLK 55 AMG
Further to this i just wanted to do a quick check to see where the wobble is coming from and i can confirm that it is the engine that is wobbling, i put it in reverse with the hood up while a friend let the car coast backwards to acheive the desired effect and engine is displaying quite a serious wobble, also wobbles in drive coasting forward although not as much...

I am hoping this is the engine mounts for obvious reasons.... however if someone could offer some confirmation of this or advise whether it sounds like there could be something more sinister happening, i would very much appreciate your comments...

Many Thanks
Old 06-12-2012, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
I would check the flex discs too.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:51 AM

CLK 55 AMG
Thanks Marcus, I just googled failed flex disc and i think its a good idea to get that checked! Many Thanks! I'll also get the garage to check the transmission mounts as well... heres hoping...!

When i bought the car they guy showed me a receipt from its recent service A and they said it needed a new MAF and spark plugs, however these werent replaced as he wanted to sell it rather than spending more on it.... Could this cause this particular type of issue...? I have had air flow problems with cars before which cause the car run a little rough, but it runs as i think a car that as done 50k miles should, starts up first time ticks over just of the 500 rpm mark and doesn't really show any signs of rough running, a little blip every now and again but nothing out of the ordinary... i dont think that this would cause this type of shaking.... The revs are not dropping when the car is coasting and the engine wobble occurs, the engine does not sound like it's going to stall if it were a manual...

If this was a transmission problem, any ideas on what it could be...?
Old 06-19-2012, 05:22 AM

CLK 55 AMG
Ok so i put the car in the garage and had them change the spark plugs and the MAF, they said engine mounts, tranny mounts and flex disc are all ok and yet wobble is still apparant... car pulls marginally better than before but nothing really that noticeable... Now im wondering what this could be, having ruled out misfires and airflow, unless its the leads, but very unlikely... sounding more like something to do with the transmission... Does anyone have any thoughts or comments? could this be an expensive fix or something i could live with...?

I am putting it into mercedes to see what they say, although a new problem seems to have reared its head, the key now only works intermittently....