CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Removing Steering Wheel - with Pics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 05:28 AM
neu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK240, A140
Removing Steering Wheel - with Pics

Dear Gents,

I know there are several threads about removing steering wheel and that technically they are pretty similar on several types and steering wheels. However, following a few I've found was difficult as I've met a connector that looked and worked different from the ones I've seen so far. Thus, I though it might be helpful for you to show the difference - maybe someone needs it This is from 2002 CLK240 (Model 209) but I guess the same applies to The W211 E Class from 06/2006, the CLS and the SL (R320) having the same steering wheel.

I don't want to re-post the whole process, instead here's a link to the original Mercedes instructions (not for the 209, but the same)

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/eu...ring_wheel.pdf

...another one (A Class)
http://www.aclassinfo.co.uk/mypage.50.htm

...and another one (W210)
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ml#post1151998

As far as I know the allowance is 2 hours for this work which they gladly bill you - at least around here. So you can save a few bucks by doing it yourself. Once you're familiar with the process, you can do it in 30 minutes (again, full instructions in the links above). I removed mine to refurbish the leather as it looks very crappy. Once it's done, I'll post you some images if you're interested.

So I pretty much followed the instructions above up to the point until the electric cable is getting disconnected from the airbag unit. The only difference I've found are the connectors. I couldn't figure out how to remove them for the first try so I've spent some time carefully examining and understanding the structure of it before I disconnected it. It turned out to be very simple as it's illustrated on the image I attached. The small levers have to be popped up and folded out (use a screw driver to pop it up at the edge). This small part fixes the whole connector to the hub. Then you simply have to pull out both the green and yellow connectors from the airbag unit.

Hope this helps to someone
Greetings, neu
Attached Thumbnails Removing Steering Wheel - with Pics-instructions_small.jpg  

Last edited by neu; 07-03-2012 at 04:11 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:12 AM
neu

CLK240, A140
Ok, I missed Step 3 on the image (was copy of Step 2 by accident), so the image is updated now. Sorry guys
Old 07-05-2012, 04:26 AM
neu

CLK240, A140
A little more help on those connectors here for whoever is interested...
Attached Thumbnails Removing Steering Wheel - with Pics-instructions_small_2.jpg