CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

CLK63 AMG (non black series) Rotor Replacements

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
a land yacht.
Originally Posted by Nero Tenebre
I also like the drilled look better, but not the OEM drilled rotors which look kind of cheap and they have slots and drill holes so they look inconsistent. The brembo GT rotors on my NSX look badass though and that would be my first choice for looks. The spacing, shape, and quality of those is much better than these OEM rotors plus the holes do not get clogged. I think the RBs look good since the slot isn't straight, and the functionality of the drilled holes in the slots is genius. Just look at real rotors that race teams use. Plus they are so hard yet so light there are just too many reasons to buy these over all the other rotors so I could give a little on looks. You don't really see them anyways with busy wheel designs, more so on like a 5 spoke with really open design.

Oh btw, did your wheels burn your KW springs too? And, your calipers are gorgeous btw... I thought about painting mine yellow to match my NSX Brembo BBK but then backed off the idea to avoid redundancy.
Yeah I agree, the function of the RB's is definitely better than OEM, and the price, and ability to change just the rings the next time around making it even cheaper is nice.

My KW's got a little rub from my wheels back when I had 19's on. I have them as low as they'll go and the 8.5in wheel up front just couldn't fit I guess. It was barely rubbing, but any increase for a blowout is no bueno.

Ended up switching to an 18x8 up front and no more rubbing with the same offset and tire size

I think mine won't be yellow for much longer, thinking about changing it up to somethin crazy

Big thanks to RacingBrake for making this happen for the 63 brakes!! Will order mine when the stockies are close to gone
Old 04-17-2013, 10:09 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W209 CLK Renntech Widebody, C140 CL600 V12, AP2 S2000, NSX Twin Turbo, R8 V10
Originally Posted by RacingBrake
A brand new OE rotor was weighed at 25 lbs vs. RB's 22 lbs. We used a calibrated commercial scale.

Your rotors were so worn out (from the pictures), which should be factored in so any weight taken should be factored in, it also appears you used a bathroom scale with you hand holding the rotor so you can see the obvious deviation from your weighing RB two piece being 21.4 vs. our 22 lbs (front).

Weight comparison info published on our web page are deemed to be correct and accurate.
Agreed, I wasn't sure if you actually weight the OE rotors on the same scale. My methods aren't exactly scientific but still just reporting my field findings for informational purposes. Happy with the products so far, just didn't realize how much "weight reduction" comes from using up the rotors.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
2018 E43 | 2017 GLS450 | 2004 CLK 500
Good to know - ill definitely consider these when I need to replace.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Rotors and hats

Agreed, I wasn't sure if you actually weight the OE rotors on the same scale. My methods aren't exactly scientific but still just reporting my field findings for informational purposes. Happy with the products so far, just didn't realize how much "weight reduction" comes from using up the rotors.
Perhaps your measurements were also different because you were just comparing the AMG rotors, one piece, to the RB 2 piece rotor and hat? I'm sure the RB rotor per se is much lighter than the stock?

BTW I don't know about your setup but I would not accept a system that needs spacers and so on. I also don't know how you have your rear suspension set up but I don't want any rubbing with the pads.

On my NSX the RB solution just fit like factory.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
What is the reason for the offset on the rear rotor? Was it both sides?
Old 04-22-2013, 06:30 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W209 CLK Renntech Widebody, C140 CL600 V12, AP2 S2000, NSX Twin Turbo, R8 V10
Originally Posted by grane
Perhaps your measurements were also different because you were just comparing the AMG rotors, one piece, to the RB 2 piece rotor and hat? I'm sure the RB rotor per se is much lighter than the stock?
No, I just removed the stock components and weighed the new ones. The stock is 2 piece on the front and 1 piece rear. The RB are 2 piece both front and rear. The weights that RB measured are more accurate since he compared new vs new and weighed both on the same (much better) scale without having to hold them (my digital scale would not read them otherwise).

BTW I don't know about your setup but I would not accept a system that needs spacers and so on. I also don't know how you have your rear suspension set up but I don't want any rubbing with the pads.
My point about the offset not fitting as expected is that these rotors were made for another vehicle, the C63 application, and may not be exactly the same. MB seems to do that and it prevents a lot of parts swapping. I am not sure about that though, RB would know the specs for both. I don't believe anyone has confirmed prior to me on the CLK63 non BS brakes, but those were my results-- on both sides so it was not just a fluke. I'd love to see if someone else had the same findings.

The difference was only a few mm and I haven't had a problem but obviously it is not ideal. The washers should not affect the brake system at all- I just used them between the caliper and the caliper bracket and NOT between the pad or caliper. This has the effect of moving the caliper inward where it needed to be to line up with the rotor. People do get sensitive when it comes to the braking system but I don't see it as a reason to worry. Brake kit manufacturers essentially do this all the time to create mix and match "kits" out of standardized components. The same caliper may be used in different positions to fit different offset rotors.

I'm not sure what you mean about the suspension settings affecting the rotor rubbing the pad. All that stuff moves on the hub together so suspension position would have no effect on the rotor/pad interaction.

On my NSX the RB solution just fit like factory.
I would expect so... I think it was made specifically for that application. I don't know if S2000 rotors would fit perfectly though, if you get my point.

Originally Posted by Critter
What is the reason for the offset on the rear rotor? Was it both sides?
Perhaps Warren/RB can answer that. It was both sides so both rotors were made with that offset. My speculation is that the C63 has a slightly different offset than the CLK63.

Last edited by Nero Tenebre; 04-22-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:59 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts
CLS550
Perhaps Warren/RB can answer that. It was both sides so both rotors were made with that offset. My speculation is that the C63 has a slightly different offset than the CLK63.
You are correct the offset was made for C63 Rear.

Can you confirm if the touching is on outboard, so you used washers (about 1.8mm) between caliper bracket and spindle to keep the rotor in center.

Upon confirmation (or checking your used rotors if not sure) we can make the hat with correct offset and have your existing hats replaced.

Thank you.