CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

CLK63 AMG (non black series) Rotor Replacements

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 10:35 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W209 CLK Renntech Widebody, C140 CL600 V12, AP2 S2000, NSX Twin Turbo, R8 V10
Lightbulb CLK63 AMG (non black series) Rotor Replacements

I have been looking into replacing my CLK63 brakes but found very few choices out there since they are a different thickness and offset than the more common Black Series rotors which also come on other AMG cars. So the choices are:

1) OEM replacements

2) Evosport Rotors - not available yet for this application but may be in production though they seem to keep getting delayed.

3) RacingBrake Rotors - also not available yet but gauging interest

I really want 2-piece rotors that are as light as possible bc they will be a substantial performance mod. The benefits of weight reduction are compounding (it makes steering, ride quality, MPG, reaction time, acceleration, braking, cornering, etc. all better and reduces stress on all components). Even if you have power upgrades this will amplify them so it is great for modified and stock vehicles alike.

If you've got these brakes then you've got the same dilemma. The stock rotors are heavy and honestly, quite soft from what I've seen. The OEM fronts are 2 piece and the rears are 1 piece, but any aftermarket solution would be much better for less money.

I'm not sure when the EvoSport rotors will be done as I keep hearing that I should check back with them so I wanted to see if anyone was interested in the RB. They already have the full 2 piece rotors in stock for the rears and also the rings for the fronts but they just need to make the hats and boom- weight savings delight.

If you're interested, please post in this thread:
https://mbworld.org/forums/vendor-gr...ml#post5560807
Old 02-28-2013, 11:10 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts
CLS550
Researching.....

Last edited by RacingBrake; 03-01-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:54 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

CLS550
Originally Posted by Nero Tenebre
I'm not sure when the EvoSport rotors will be done as I keep hearing that I should check back with them so I wanted to see if anyone was interested in the RB. They already have the full 2 piece rotors in stock for the rears and also the rings for the fronts but they just need to make the hats and boom- weight savings delight.

We appreciate your continuing interest and help in posting the two piece rotor development here:

The front:
CLK55 (03-06) 340x32mm (Ready Our P/N 2118)
CLK63 (07-09) 360x32mm (Non BS) (To be made)
CLK63 (07-09) 360x36mm (Black Series) (Ready Our P/N 2141)

The Rear:
Same as C63 rear (330x26mm) including drum size, but the retain screw hole location.

We only have to make Non BS front to complete the coverage for CLK.

I will also copy some posting to here from the other thread, so any further discussion can be conducted here.

Last edited by RacingBrake; 03-01-2013 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
RB is the way to go

I have been looking into replacing my CLK63 brakes but found very few choices out there since they are a different thickness and offset than the more common Black Series rotors which also come on other AMG cars. So the choices are:

1) OEM replacements

2) Evosport Rotors - not available yet for this application but may be in production though they seem to keep getting delayed.

I really want 2-piece rotors that are as light as possible bc they will be a substantial performance mod. The benefits of weight reduction are compounding (it makes steering, ride quality, MPG, reaction time, acceleration, braking, cornering, etc. all better and reduces stress on all components). Even if you have power upgrades this will amplify them so it is great for modified and stock vehicles alike.

If you've got these brakes then you've got the same dilemma. The stock rotors are heavy and honestly, quite soft from what I've seen. The OEM fronts are 2 piece and the rears are 1 piece, but any aftermarket solution would be much better for less money.

Your summary is spot on. I too have owned RBs on several cars and the earliest, on a 1995 Acura Legend, is still in service. RB has several new patents since then.

After Warren gets your solution together, he is turning to the 03-06 CL55 and S55 (the fronts should also fit the 03-06 S600).

Question: do you think that the lower unsprung weight of the RB solution, whose benefits you aptly describe, will take stress off the ABC system as found on the CL/S series cars as well?

Last edited by grane; 03-01-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:13 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

CLS550
Review

Click below link and learn how RB two piece rotors performed for Jerry's 2005 CLK55:
2005 CLK55 AMG - NEW 2-PIECE ROTORS
Old 03-01-2013, 08:22 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

CLS550

1) OEM replacements

Your search ended here as we are able to dig into those years/models etc., and I am certain your choice is very clear and an easy one to make.

So now we know your Renntech is a "Non BS" set up, which is the one we have yet to make.

We like to have all CLK folks come here for the brakes they have been looking for...
Old 03-02-2013, 05:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Keep us posted on progress.

Last edited by betrezra; 03-03-2013 at 05:54 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by grane
Question: do you think that the lower unsprung weight of the RB solution, whose benefits you aptly describe, will take stress off the ABC system as found on the CL/S series cars as well?
Well the brakes move up and down with the suspension so it would give the dampers less weight to work with so, in theory, yes. But having endured the absurd joke that is ABC on a CL500, I know that it probably won't save you. Hoses will age and break, causing the fluid to drain out completely, and the struts themselves weaken and develop blockages too. The system is flawed and fragile- I would dump the car for cheap like everyone else is doing. Other than ABC it's a beautiful machine and may have had more residual value when I sold it than a Civic.

Originally Posted by RacingBrake
Your search ended here as we are able to dig into those years/models etc., and I am certain your choice is very clear and an easy one to make.

So now we know your Renntech is a "Non BS" set up, which is the one we have yet to make.

We like to have all CLK folks come here for the brakes they have been looking for...
Sounds great... but I need to pull the trigger on something soon before my brakes become dangerous and my hand is forced. I already bought some ceramic pads in anticipation of the EvoSport rotors being finished so timing is still a big factor (didn't know you had replacement pads). I have even been driving the car less in an attempt to ration out my rotor life!

Might as well make them now if you're gonna make them And you will have them in stock ready for the next few owners as their rotors get used up, and to tempt owners who want to enjoy an early upgrade experience like I am doing with my rears. Much easier to sell a performance product if it's available immediately and a bolt-on part? Plus not all the buyers will be generated from this forum as many owners will shop the web for replacements too. I'm glad you seem committed to this, I will try to hold off as I have been doing but do you have any ETA? I'm sure your customers are repeat buyers too bc you offer just the replacement rings rather than making people buy the whole rotor again for $$$ Thanks for supporting the community btw, you are a great asset for everyone here.

Last edited by Nero Tenebre; 03-05-2013 at 03:30 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:21 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

CLS550
I will try to hold off as I have been doing but do you have any ETA? I'm sure your customers are repeat buyers too bc you offer just the replacement rings rather than making people buy the whole rotor again for $$$ Thanks for supporting the community btw, you are a great asset for everyone here.
RB two piece rotors line up for CLK (03-09)

Front:
CLK55 (03-04) 340x30mm (P/N 2118)-Ready
CLK55 (05-06) 340x32mm (P/N 2270) ETA 2-4 wks
CLK63 (07-09) 355x32mm - Non BS (P/N 2266) ETA 2-4 wks
CLK63 (07-09) 360x36mm - BS (P/N 2141)-Ready
Rear:

330x26mm (P/N 2142)-Ready

We are expediting CLK55 Non BS and can assure you that they will be available in less than a month.

You can place the order now. Instead of GB, we offer anyone who places their order before available (4/5/13) for a 15% pre-order discount - Coupon Code "MBCLK15"

Thank you.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:13 PM

Terrific!

Ok, thank you for your follow-through Warren! One last question- on your website it says "RB rotors are made of harder iron than OE rotors. Our rotors are most compatible with semi-metallic brake pads. We do not recommend the use of ceramic brake pads, which may cause vibration."

Since I've already received my hyper ceramic brake pads from discitalia, is there a risk they will indeed cause vibration with your rotors? If so, please elaborate on why that happens... I did a lot of research before I settled on these pads as they had the most desirable qualities I am looking for (daily street use). I would hate to spend this much on new rotors and pads only to find out they are incompatible!

Here is the description I pulled off their website:

Disc Italia Hyper Ceramic ( Style: Ceramic)

The Disc Italia Hyper Ceramic pad provides the ultimate in braking friction technology; it is a revolutionary "true" organic ceramic formulation is designed for cool, clean, quiet and long lasting operation. The Disc Italia Hyper Ceramic pad operates at much lower temperature levels than traditional semi-metallic pads, making the Hyper ceramic formulation extremely resistant to fading and over heating. This unique formulation extends the life of both the pads and rotors by operating at lower temperatures. The Hyper Ceramic material is very gentle on rotors even under harsh braking conditions. The Disc Italia Hyper Ceramic pad produces very low dust output levels, and includes interlocking anti squeal shims ensuring you will receive whisper quiet braking performance. Disc Italia Hyper Ceramic pads are protected with a black powder-coating on the backing plate. This is an all around superb brake pad and is suitable for both road and light track use. Disc Italia Hyper Ceramic Pads are optimized to be used with both high performance and original equipment brake disc.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:14 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

CLS550

Ok, thank you for your follow-through Warren! One last question- on your website it says "RB rotors are made of harder iron than OE rotors. Our rotors are most compatible with semi-metallic brake pads. We do not recommend the use of ceramic brake pads, which may cause vibration."

Since I've already received my hyper ceramic brake pads from discitalia, is there a risk they will indeed cause vibration with your rotors? If so, please elaborate on why that happens... I did a lot of research before I settled on these pads as they had the most desirable qualities I am looking for (daily street use). I would hate to spend this much on new rotors and pads only to find out they are incompatible!

Here is the description I pulled off their website:

Disc Italia Hyper Ceramic ( Style: Ceramic)

The Disc Italia Hyper Ceramic pad provides the ultimate in braking friction technology; it is a revolutionary "true" organic ceramic formulation is designed for cool, clean, quiet and long lasting operation. The Disc Italia Hyper Ceramic pad operates at much lower temperature levels than traditional semi-metallic pads, making the Hyper ceramic formulation extremely resistant to fading and over heating. This unique formulation extends the life of both the pads and rotors by operating at lower temperatures. The Hyper Ceramic material is very gentle on rotors even under harsh braking conditions. The Disc Italia Hyper Ceramic pad produces very low dust output levels, and includes interlocking anti squeal shims ensuring you will receive whisper quiet braking performance. Disc Italia Hyper Ceramic pads are protected with a black powder-coating on the backing plate. This is an all around superb brake pad and is suitable for both road and light track use. Disc Italia Hyper Ceramic Pads are optimized to be used with both high performance and original equipment brake disc.
Here is the most recent in depth comparison and review on RB brake vs. BMW OE and Stoptech in hardness for M3 E46 Competition:
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...87&postcount=1

-The OEM rotor is about 145 on the Brinell hardness scale and the Stoptech rotor is around 171.
The RacingBrake rotors tested were 196 and 193, so about 34% harder than OE, 14% harder than Stoptech in this one example.
Brake pad suppliers can make their own claim, but one thing they usually ignore or never address is the rotor hardness against which their pad is in constant contact for optimal result.

RB is the only company tested every two piece disc to assure they meet our hardness standard. You may assume others' or OE rotor may present no issue with ceramic pad. But I know for sure was one of the MB customers installed our two piece rotors along with the ceramic pads which he has been used along with his OE rotors with no problem, but had constant vibration issue, so upon our advice he switched to semi-metallic compound his problem went away.

You should have noticed those groovy and wavy (along drilled holes) OE rotor surface, that tells you how soft they are, which ceramic pad can easily bite in, but if you intend to install RB two piece rotors for the lasting performance and durability, we would caution you on ceramic compound. Whether it's suitable for a rotor with 200 BHN or not, that's a question for you to ask your ceramic pad mfgr.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:13 PM

Ok so I gather it has to do with the hardness of the rotor. My understanding is that ceramic pads were softer and thus more gentle on rotors than pads which contain metal so maybe I am incorrect but that's how they are advertised and it was one of the reasons I bought them along with the low, low dust levels. If it's just one of your customers that had the issue and it was not exactly verified that the pads caused the issue directly, then it could have possibly been something else such as incorrect installation or bedding procedure that caused the vibration. If you haven't seen multiple cases of this happening then I don't see a pattern or a reason to worry that ceramics will cause vibration. Surely there are more people out there using your rotors with ceramic pads that don't have any vibration issues. I may be willing to try it out and see for myself, but do you have a link to your recommended pads so I can do some browsing?
Old 03-29-2013, 03:06 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

CLS550
RB two piece rotors line up for CLK (03-09)

Front:
CLK55 (03-04) 340x30mm (P/N 2118)-Ready
CLK55 (05-06) 340x32mm (P/N 2270) ETA 2-4 wks
CLK63 (07-09) 355x32mm - Non BS (P/N 2266) ETA 2-4 wks
CLK63 (07-09) 360x36mm - BS (P/N 2141)-Ready
Rear:

330x26mm (P/N 2142)-Ready

We are expediting CLK55 Non BS and can assure you that they will be available in less than a month.

You can place the order now. Instead of GB, we offer anyone who places their order before available (4/5/13) for a 15% pre-order discount - Coupon Code "MBCLK15"

Thank you.
We are pleased to announce that two piece rotor for CLK63 Non-Black series are shipping:

Weight: 22 lbs (save 3 lbs/rotor over OE's 2pc)

Featuring RacingBrake's patented Open (Through) slots design, so they will never clog up like drilled holes or "No slots" as conventional surface slots after the rotor wears out.

Rotors are individually tested for hardness to assure the casting quality and the fasteners (RB-10.9) are certified to grade and torqued to specs (96 in-lbs)

Attractive look behind the wheels to enhance the overall value of your MB:

15% (MBCLK15)per-order discount is still valid until 4/5/13.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:31 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

CLS550
Typical MB two piece rotorsa after use

Disc surface becomes wavy

Drill holes got clogged up; brake pad doesn't quite match up to disc surface:
(Rusty lip on outer edge, wear into inner edge.)

Old 03-29-2013, 07:10 PM

Oh man I was wondering why my discs were dimpled and not drilled... Now I realize they are all clogged up. I hope I was the first to order and my order shipped
Old 03-30-2013, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
I had the same problem with the CL

Disc surface becomes wavy

Drill holes got clogged up; brake pad doesn't quite match up to disc surface:
(Rusty lip on outer edge, wear into inner edge.)

Wavy surface, lines on rotors, uneven wear (like a flat spot on the tire) on the rotors. I wash the brake rotors precisely because of the clogging problem.

Seems as if the AMG disk iron hardness itself might be variable

Looking forward to my RBs for the CL55/S55/S600 series!
Old 04-01-2013, 04:42 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

CLS550
Oh man I was wondering why my discs were dimpled and not drilled... Now I realize they are all clogged up. I hope I was the first to order and my order shipped
Yes your orders were shipped and you should receive the rotors by Wednesday (4/3/13) per UPS delivery schedule.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 CLK 55
Looks like a quality product.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:11 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

CLS550
Got your shipment yet? When you will have them installed.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:29 PM

Sorry I installed these with a friend when you posted but haven't had time to post my response with pics.

Couple of notes:
1. The OEM front rotors were lighter than the RB fronts. May be because so much material was worn away (past service limit). Seems like 5 lbs or so though right?

2. The rear RB rotor did not sit centered in the caliper. I had to use washers to shim it into the correct position. Maybe the rears are not the exact ones used on the C63? It works but I had to improvise the solution.

I'll post more impressions as time goes but overall I am satisfied so far, except that the weight savings were not as great as I thought. The rears were supposed to be 8 lbs lighter each than the OEM and the fronts like 3 lbs lighter. The car still seems faster with better ride quality but I measured the rear RBs only about 3 lbs lighter each and the front RBs heavier as the photos will show. I didn't need to replace the rears but I decided to spend the $1k for expectedly bigger weight savings. However, I see that your rotors were the weight you advertised, but my Renntech rotors were somehow lighter than expected (lighter than quoted OEM new weights I based my expectations on).

The Disc Italia pads I installed are silent and FIRM! Very happy that they have great initial bite and they seem to work flawlessly so far with the rotors. There are zero vibration issues as the car drives better than new. If they don't dust as promised then I will be ecstatic!

Old Front Rotor:

RB package:

Used OEM front rotor weight =18.8 lbs:

RB front rotor weight =21.4 lbs:

Used OEM rear rotor weight =18.6 lbs:

RB rear rotor weight =15.8 lbs:

RB front rotor installed:

RB rear rotor installed:

RB rear rotor offset, slightly touching the rear caliper on one side of the rotor:

Last edited by Nero Tenebre; 04-16-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
a land yacht.
The only thing I am not sold on these is the look.....I think the OEM rotors drilled/slotted look better

Anyone else agree?

Did some spring cleaning when I installed my dustless pads the other day, here's a pic to compare...

Old 04-16-2013, 02:16 PM

I also like the drilled look better, but not the OEM drilled rotors which look kind of cheap and they have slots and drill holes so they look inconsistent. The brembo GT rotors on my NSX look badass though and that would be my first choice for looks. The spacing, shape, and quality of those is much better than these OEM rotors plus the holes do not get clogged. I think the RBs look good since the slot isn't straight, and the functionality of the drilled holes in the slots is genius. Just look at real rotors that race teams use. Plus they are so hard yet so light there are just too many reasons to buy these over all the other rotors so I could give a little on looks. You don't really see them anyways with busy wheel designs, more so on like a 5 spoke with really open design.

Oh btw, did your wheels burn your KW springs too? And, your calipers are gorgeous btw... I thought about painting mine yellow to match my NSX Brembo BBK but then backed off the idea to avoid redundancy.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
2018 E43 | 2017 GLS450 | 2004 CLK 500
Originally Posted by C_DirtyTwo
The only thing I am not sold on these is the look.....I think the OEM rotors drilled/slotted look better

Anyone else agree?

Did some spring cleaning when I installed my dustless pads the other day, here's a pic to compare...

I agree. So it seems like there's no weight savings in the front?
Old 04-17-2013, 10:33 AM

Somebody would need to weigh some NEW oem rotors to check for sure. I think there would be but mine were just so worn down that a lot of material was gone. Also mine are renntech so I don't know if they did anything else to the rotors (probably not but can't confirm). The RB rotors did weigh what was claimed so I don't have any doubts about them saving weight over new oem rotors.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:27 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

CLS550
Somebody would need to weigh some NEW oem rotors to check for sure. I think there would be but mine were just so worn down that a lot of material was gone. Also mine are renntech so I don't know if they did anything else to the rotors (probably not but can't confirm). The RB rotors did weigh what was claimed so I don't have any doubts about them saving weight over new oem rotors.
A brand new OE rotor was weighed at 25 lbs vs. RB's 22 lbs. We used a calibrated commercial scale.

Your rotors were so worn out (from the pictures), which should be factored in so any weight taken should be factored in, it also appears you used a bathroom scale with you hand holding the rotor so you can see the obvious deviation from your weighing RB two piece being 21.4 vs. our 22 lbs (front).

Weight comparison info published on our web page are deemed to be correct and accurate.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: CLK63 AMG (non black series) Rotor Replacements