CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Check Engine light, code P0730

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 CLK55
Check Engine light, code P0730

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and new to Mercedes ownership. About a month ago I got a 2004 CLK55. It currently has ~36,000 miles on it. Driving to work today I noticed my check engine light, but could not feel any difference in the way the car drove. Got to an Autozone by work to have the code read and it returned P0730.

After doing some research it looks like it usually comes along with the car going into limp mode and has to do with a transmission issues. The transmission in my car was replaced at 32,000 miles, a couple months before I purchased it and was done by a Mercedes dealership.

Does anybody have an idea about what could be throwing the code? I'm at a bit of a loss because it's a new transmission and there are no issues with the way the car drives or shifts, which from what I've read isn't usually the case since others have said the car goes into limp mode. I'm a decent DIYer but being new to Mercedes I'm not sure where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W209 CLK55 AMG Kompressor, ATV BRP 800 CAN-AM
Originally Posted by necero
Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and new to Mercedes ownership. About a month ago I got a 2004 CLK55. It currently has ~36,000 miles on it. Driving to work today I noticed my check engine light, but could not feel any difference in the way the car drove. Got to an Autozone by work to have the code read and it returned P0730.

After doing some research it looks like it usually comes along with the car going into limp mode and has to do with a transmission issues. The transmission in my car was replaced at 32,000 miles, a couple months before I purchased it and was done by a Mercedes dealership.

Does anybody have an idea about what could be throwing the code? I'm at a bit of a loss because it's a new transmission and there are no issues with the way the car drives or shifts, which from what I've read isn't usually the case since others have said the car goes into limp mode. I'm a decent DIYer but being new to Mercedes I'm not sure where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome on the forum . P0730 code error is : Incorrect Gear Ratio
Old 07-10-2013, 01:48 PM

2004 CLK55
Originally Posted by ChiCho55AMG
Welcome on the forum . P0730 code error is : Incorrect Gear Ratio
Thanks. Are there any common problems that could cause this? I can't find anything similar to the situation I'm in, since most every other post says that their car has gone into limp mode with this code. I'm sort of at a loss, since the transmission was replaced not too long ago.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:20 PM

Thanks. Are there any common problems that could cause this? I can't find anything similar to the situation I'm in, since most every other post says that their car has gone into limp mode with this code. I'm sort of at a loss, since the transmission was replaced not too long ago.
I'm afraid to say that : The fix should be to completely re-build the transmission...
Old 07-11-2013, 11:47 AM

2004 CLK55
Originally Posted by ChiCho55AMG
I'm afraid to say that : The fix should be to completely re-build the transmission...
Wow. That's tough to hear. If there is a transmission issue that is so bad that requires a rebuilt wouldn't there be some issue with the way the car drives or shifts? I'm just trying to see if there is some alternative to that. Is it possible that the code being thrown was stored from before the trans was replaced and for whatever reason popped back up?
Old 07-11-2013, 05:53 PM

Wow. That's tough to hear. If there is a transmission issue that is so bad that requires a rebuilt wouldn't there be some issue with the way the car drives or shifts? I'm just trying to see if there is some alternative to that. Is it possible that the code being thrown was stored from before the trans was replaced and for whatever reason popped back up?
Maybe , try to put on scanner and clear all the faults ...
Old 08-01-2013, 04:05 PM

2004 CLK55
Updated situation:

I took the car to a dealer to have a diagnostic test run. It took them 3 hours to figure anything out, and the only valid code was P0456. They said it was a sticky purge valve and wanted $460 to fix it. I declined because that sounded like quite a bit for replacing a purge valve. They reset the code and it stayed off until today.

After looking around it looks like the purge valve sits on the driver side in the area behind the head light? I just want to double check and make sure I am ordering the right part. Is this the correct part and all that will need to be replaced if it is just a sticking purge valve? http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,4936

The reason I ask is because of the discrepancy between the price of that part and what the dealer wanted. I understand there is a price mark up and labor costs, but that sounds like a lot for what seems to be a 10 minute job.

Thanks!