CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Sudden missfire and lost of power

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 04:36 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
'14 E500 Coupe
Sudden missfire and lost of power

Sudenly during the 700km trip '00 CLK55 AMG lost several cylinders and start to missfire and no power at all. I stopped and shut off the engine and started it again and problem went away. It did that three times and re-start allways cured the problem. Any comments ideas what should I look for? I took the car into my trusted service guy and he took out codes: several missfires on cylinders 3, 4 and 5. If I remember corectly. There was something more but SnapOn tester couldn't show them. He did clear them all so no returning back.

What could be common problems with these symptons? Not the CPS? It should kill the engine right away and no start, right?
Old 10-04-2013, 05:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
M113 E50 6-speed, 2005 E55 AMG
Same problem here. I'm starting to think it is a Sync issue between cam and crank sensor. I already replaced both, checked all wiring etc.

If this problem occurs a lot (constantly pulling over to restart) like mine, then just unplug the cam sensor. If I start with my cam plugged in, unplug it and run it, mileage sucks and mild lack of power.

If I start it without the cam sensor (little harder to start, but it will start), then I get amazing gas mileage with what feels like full power. Just don't crank too long, I usually wait for the sound of the fuel pump to go away and crank for around 3 seconds.

Once my Star DAS is back up and running I will try to re-sync, if that fixes it I will let you know.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:58 AM

'14 E500 Coupe
Could you please tell me more about this synchronizeing? Is it only possible to do with special MB tester?

How often your car does it? Mine did it at highway when I was driveing fast with partial throtle. And it started as a small vibrarion and then developed into complete jerking and no power.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
Mou
Sounds more like plug wires or a bad coil pack.
These fuel management systems have adaptive strategy to account for driving habits and engine condition.
Consider a major tune up with spark plug wires, inspect coils for cracking and exposed conductors while you are there.
The ECU will recalibrate after a battery disconnect.
Calibrations are changed for altitude by the dealer or tuner.
Cheers, Gator

Posted from Mbworld.org App for Android
Old 10-05-2013, 10:43 AM

'14 E500 Coupe
Thank you for helping me. I just got this car and I have owned it like three days. Actualy, I was driveing home from Kleemans. They did headers and ECU upgrade. I dont know does that has to do something with my problem. Would you suggest me to un-hook the battery for a minute? I'm pretty sure they didn't because all the settings and clock are like they was.

I just checked plugs. They looks like new. NGK PFR5R-11. Or atleast the first ones / easyest ones. Allso the wires look good to me. Poped up easily.

The car has 185 000 KM and it looks and drives good. Verry well kept one.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I would not disconnect the battery without consulting with Kleemans.
They are a very reputable performance service among others.
I have programmed thousands of PLD and micro controllers in the electronics industry, and once in while the file does not stick, as a rule perform file download twice and debug along the way.
I believe custom files downloaded to the ECU on Benz are lost after a bat disconnect. I am learning too so do not quote me on this.

The ECU restores default program.

Cheers, Gator

Old 10-07-2013, 11:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
M113 E50 6-speed, 2005 E55 AMG
If it was a bad file the car would not start. If there was a bad value in the file then yeah it might be a problem, leaning it out up top or something?? Not sure. As far as unplugging the battery after a file was uploaded, I don't see how that could be a problem. It won't revert to stock values that is 100% for sure, otherwise my R170 500 6-speed would not be running as we speak...

To the OP, mine happens as soon as I start it with the cam sensor plugged in. I agree with the above if your condition is intermittent... Bad hardware. Coils, plugs, wires, etc...
Old 10-08-2013, 04:05 AM

'14 E500 Coupe
Emailed to Kleemans and they are sure it is not tune-related problem. And they confirmed that battery can un-plug without loosing the Kleemans tune. They suggested that it could be adaptation prosedure that car was going tru. Because after new tune was loaded, all daptations were reset.

Could it be dieing fuel pump?

Problem is that I just imported this car and I have no plates yet and winter is coming allso. Not much more testdriveing until spring comes. But that 200km I have driven here after ferry trip all went without any problems. Car felt good and powerfull. They were only those three suden missfires midle of night when I was blasting tru Sweden to catch a boat.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:39 AM

'14 E500 Coupe
Codes pulled last night with AutoCom tester: P0300, P0305, P0307 and P0302. According to service records plugs are 4,5 year old and only 45 000km (28 000mls) driven. Still the car sometimes start to misfire and eaven drop whole cylinders out.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

To rule out ignition problems: Shade tree style, use a small amount of water like a half cup tea, coffee size etc and pour it on each coil, 1 at a time. observe miss or engine stall, l have used beer but regretted it later. Lol
For stubborn. intermittent. problems I have a snap-on kilovolt tester. It gives a static cylinder reading in kv. Low is a bad cylinder or grounded plug or coil, High is normally a bad plug wire.
If it acts up during the water test, it is the coil. Careful with cool water on a hot engine.
For further testing get a helper to mild power brake the car in drive while you try both tests. A true oscilloscope for automotive diagnostics will be easier and faster but might get costly with 8 coils.
Thanks for the info on Benz flash, eeprom, characteristics.

Cheers, Gator

Old 11-01-2013, 12:55 PM

'14 E500 Coupe
Ok thanks. How common is the coil failure? It's like MAF, many seems to talk about / suggest it but how many case there realy are.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mou,
I have read many threads on the MAF as well and it could be. I merely suggested an economical way to test the ignition system which is a normal service. The Iridium plugs are rated for 100k miles, but try removing a steel or plated spark plug after 100k. If Electrolysis sets in the head will get damaged.
You have some star codes there is a better clue to diagnose with the symptoms. Often codes gesture people to replace parts when gremlins actually trigger them.

These Engine performance problems are very difficult to pin point over the forum.
For the record, Low miles/km, rarely driven under load, Start with replacing the petrol with a few liters of fresh and the fuel filter as well.

Gator

Last edited by GatorMB; 11-03-2013 at 11:40 AM. Reason: wording, and added content
Old 11-03-2013, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Files and sensors

Originally Posted by sk8erjosh09
If it was a bad file the car would not start. If there was a bad value in the file then yeah it might be a problem, leaning it out up top or something?? Not sure. As far as unplugging the battery after a file was uploaded, I don't see how that could be a problem. It won't revert to stock values that is 100% for sure, otherwise my R170 500 6-speed would not be running as we speak...

To the OP, mine happens as soon as I start it with the cam sensor plugged in. I agree with the above if your condition is intermittent... Bad hardware. Coils, plugs, wires, etc...
With a direct dongle interface the file download is less likely to have issues. When downloading to multiple devices or any single device over a network there are many un-invited variables. I have experienced this phenomena several times and decide to include the extra event for compliance for all device download, It will save a lot of headache time.

Your cam sensor or cable might be funky, Oil saturated, pins corroded or a strange ECU pin connector problem. This is going to be tougher than Mou.

If there is a common to the cam sensor and another sensor, start with the total circuit diag. Hunch

Gator

Last edited by GatorMB; 11-03-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:53 PM

'14 E500 Coupe
I just hate problem related topics without the solution. So... I feel that I need to report back. I changed three new coils, new set of plug wires and all new plugs. Problem haven't occured since and I have driven couple hundred kilometers. Engine feel much stedy at idle overall more healthy. My theory is that at Kleemanns they some how bent / broke or what ever spark plug leads during installing the headers. It is possible because of tight space and I was hurrying the mechanics.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Glad to see you are getting somewhere with this problem

I doubt anyone intentionally desired to do any damage as it seems. These are common ignition maintenance parts that have a short life span. Removing a plug wire that has set for some time will net poor results.
When the plugs and wires degrade over time performance and economy suffer as well.

Gator

Old 01-04-2014, 04:05 AM

'14 E500 Coupe
Originally Posted by GatorMB
I doubt anyone intentionally desired to do any damage as it seems.
No no, absolutly not. They did a great job within tight time schedule. Mechs eaven did a litlebit overtime because I had a boat to catch that night.