CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Transmission cooler help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'08 CLK320CDI AMG// '13 E500 Coupe AMG// '17 E350d AMG
Transmission cooler help

Hello guys,

I decided to repost here since you could be more used to do this kind of mods than the guys with the "normal" CLK!

Some thoughts would be apreciated.

Thanks

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...oler-help.html
Old 10-21-2013, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 194 Posts
CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Heat is what kills transmissions. I doubt this will make a difference either way, with regular driving. I have been running an external transmission cooler, separated from the radiator for years on my other car and have had 0 issues. I had one on the benz for a few months as well and noticed 0 difference.

I have heard the argument where the transmission "warms up slower" but I think it's BS. The purpose of the radiator pass through is for cooling not warming. Regardless, you can do it either way. I doubt you will notice a difference.

Why are you trying to upgrade the stock cooler? Are you putting down more power than stock?
Old 10-21-2013, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'08 CLK320CDI AMG// '13 E500 Coupe AMG// '17 E350d AMG
Originally Posted by megacrazy
Heat is what kills transmissions. I doubt this will make a difference either way, with regular driving. I have been running an external transmission cooler, separated from the radiator for years on my other car and have had 0 issues. I had one on the benz for a few months as well and noticed 0 difference.

I have heard the argument where the transmission "warms up slower" but I think it's BS. The purpose of the radiator pass through is for cooling not warming. Regardless, you can do it either way. I doubt you will notice a difference.

Why are you trying to upgrade the stock cooler? Are you putting down more power than stock?
I want to upgrade the stock cooler because I have an ECU tunne and some other hardware mods and I have +700Nm on my 7G -tronic , for gearbox safe reasons I want to have the oil cool enough to handle the 200Nm more of torque than stock!
I'm affraid that the extra cooler could not be enough, since in other stock cars they use both the extra and the internal one!

About the thermostat, does it close the circuit 100% to the cooler or is allways open?

PS: CLK320 CDI - stock 224hp and 515Nm

Last edited by gaiex; 10-21-2013 at 01:02 PM.