CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Double Din Overheat

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 CLK55 AMG
Double Din Overheat

I installed a Pioneer Avic-5000NEX in my 2004 CLK55 and it appeared to fit snug. What I didnt realize was that the depth of the radio housing was exactly the same depth as the radio causing the fan on the radio to be pressed into the foam lining in the back of the space. While testing all of the functions for 20 min, the heater module directly below the radio went out.(the panel used to turn on heater fan) and the airbag service light, SOS, and no phone error messege. I immediately shut it off and pulled the radio which was too hot to hold. Thats when I realized that the units fan was blocked by the foam. I dont believe nothing was connected wrong as everything worked fine including the Axxess steeringwheel control module. Back to the drawing board I guess. After it cools I'll let it rest on the gearshift while operating for 15 min and see if it overheats.

Last edited by mathoscar; 05-12-2014 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Forgot some info
Old 05-12-2014, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 CLK55 AMG
It appears that though the Axxess steeringwheel module was working, it also appeared to be the error messege originator. Once I disconnected it, the phone error and sos error messege went away. As far as the units fan being blocked by the foam pad inside the rear of the dash housing, I believe I'll have to use spacers to prevent the unit from sliding all the way in while creating a small air circulation space. The unit did get pretty warm on the back side when I let it play a movie for 15 min while placing it on top of the gear shift before reinstalling & reassembling the dash so I geuss they get a little hot no matter what.