CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Might buy a 2005 CLK55, need your opinions and info

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 CLK320 Vert & 2005 CLK55 AMG
Might buy a 2005 CLK55, need your opinions and info

Hey everyone,
I've been reading this section for a few days now and have found some very useful information. It was just very spread out and hard to find it again. Hopefully you can help me out. I'm considering purchasing a 2005 clk55 with 105xxx miles. I had a MB mechanic look at it and he said everything looked good except, the rear main seal is leaking, I would need to change the valve cover gaskets and engine belt.

I see that these are normal or regular occurrences. Are there any other problems, big or small that i should be concerned about? If i purchase this I'm going to have these things taken care of right away. Can you recommend any other immediate preventative maintenance?

Thank you!
Old 05-22-2014, 03:58 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
I have an 05 clk55. Standard maintenance. Nothing to be concerned about if youve had it inspected.

How are the brakes? Those are costly so it be nice if they were done recently. Besides those, valve covers, plugs, tranny service is about all you need at that mileage.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

OK great, thanks. The brakes had fairly new rotors but the pads need to be replaced.

hmm, ok. decisions decisions...
Old 05-23-2014, 03:08 PM

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
09 CLK550
My OEM front pads were $110/side

Other common issues:
https://mbworld.org/forums/clk55-amg...-problems.html

I seem to go through keyless-go door handles
Old 05-23-2014, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ambit
My OEM front pads were $110/side

Other common issues:
https://mbworld.org/forums/clk55-amg...-problems.html

I seem to go through keyless-go door handles
Thanks Ambit. I normally use ceramic pads. OEM dust too much for me.

It doesn't seem like these cars have too many problems if they're serviced correctly...
Old 05-24-2014, 11:53 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Currently: 2019 E450 AWD, Previous: 2002 CLK55 Cab
Great having an independent give it the once over but I suggest that before you are ready to really pull the trigger you take it to an MBZ dealer not associated witht the sale and have them do a PPI, pre-purchase inspection. Just about the same inspection that they do before putting a car in their CPO program. The thing that the dealer can do as part of the inspection is give you a maintenance checklist for that car based on the inspection. Further they can pull the cars MBZ service records and see what has been done to the car as well as the car history with MBZ so past owners and locations. I use the PPI as my last cross check to verify car fax or any oral history that the seller has told me, e.g. "I'm the only owner", "It was always serviced at X dealer", "Everything works" "allservice is up to date", etc. On the last two transactions, PPI's have saved me literally nearly $14k on avoiding cars that looked, sounded and drove great. Good luck.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Supercharged CLK500 & ML500
Hi Roland! If you plan on getting into a W209, 05 CLK55 is one of the best examples. +1 on what everyone else says, but I would add:
  • Find out if/when the voltage regulator was replaced. this is a consumable item (at 60K miles)
  • Find out the last time the Camshaft and Crankshaft position sensors were replaced. The car will leave you stranded if they go out.
  • AC Stepper Motor
  • Rear Seal
  • Valve Gaskets
  • Transmission Plug (harness going into the tranny leaks oil)
  • Seat Warmer
  • 3rd Brake light
  • Engine Motor Mounts
  • Tranny Mounts
  • Seat belt Mechanism (that pulls the seatbelt back in)
  • That damn "SOS Malfunction" indicator
  • Various Suspension bushings
  • Headlight Xenon ballast
  • Windshield wiper adjustment
  • Sunroof adjustment

As far as mods, take a look at what I have done and 99% of what I did can be done on the CLK55. Betrezra is the top dog around here as far as w209 CLK55s so take a look at his threads as well.

Good Luck, let me know if you have any other questions about this.
Old 05-24-2014, 02:20 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Currently: 2019 E450 AWD, Previous: 2002 CLK55 Cab
Originally Posted by 2MCHCAR
Hi Roland! If you plan on getting into a W209, 05 CLK55 is one of the best examples. +1 on what everyone else says, but I would add:
  • Find out if/when the voltage regulator was replaced. this is a consumable item (at 60K miles)
  • Find out the last time the Camshaft and Crankshaft position sensors were replaced. The car will leave you stranded if they go out.
  • AC Stepper Motor
  • Rear Seal
  • Valve Gaskets
  • Transmission Plug (harness going into the tranny leaks oil)
  • Seat Warmer
  • 3rd Brake light
  • Engine Motor Mounts
  • Tranny Mounts
  • Seat belt Mechanism (that pulls the seatbelt back in)
  • That damn "SOS Malfunction" indicator
  • Various Suspension bushings
  • Headlight Xenon ballast
  • Windshield wiper adjustment
  • Sunroof adjustment

As far as mods, take a look at what I have done and 99% of what I did can be done on the CLK55. Betrezra is the top dog around here as far as w209 CLK55s so take a look at his threads as well.

Good Luck, let me know if you have any other questions about this.
A lot of the items on this list are the kind of things that the PPI would catch. In my instance I got a list like this of items encountered then I had them schedule out what was urgent, needed in the next three months, next six and nine months, etc. That really helped prioritize and flesh out my PM schedule for the car.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
05 CLK55 ///AMG
Rollnnn-

I can chime in on my experience with the 05 CLK55. I too had an 05 C230. But the day I purchased it new, what I really wanted was that CLK55 on the lot. It was over twice the price so there was no way I was going to get it. So, a few years ago, the cars were no longer $35K apart and decided to sell the C230 and pick up a CLK55. The C was off warranty so I figured that if I was paying the maintenance it may as well be on the CLK.

I found an 05 with what I considered a lot of miles but a great service history. It was serviced by the same dealership where I have my cars serviced. I had a PPI done and it showed that the rear main seal needed to be done also. I did it as soon as I purchased it.

In the years that I have owned it, I had to replace valve gaskets both sides, transmission conductor plate, transmission o-ring, secondary air pump, fuel system purge valve and a window regulator.

I still enjoy the car so I hope this helps you make your decision. Feel free to PM me with any additional information you need.

Last edited by DiceCedes; 05-25-2014 at 01:31 AM.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar
Do it. If its a coupe you will be only one of the 247 05 Coupes.

I have had over 50 cars. My 05 CLK55 is the longest I have ever kept a car by a large margin. Definitely my favorite I have owned.

I only have 35,000 miles on mine and is stored during winters, but it has been very reliable.

I have been toying with the idea on replacing it with either a Twin Turbo E550 coupe or C63 coupe. Though the GLA45 and Macan also have my interest. We will see.

I definitely say go for it.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

awesome, thanks for the info everyone!